Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello!
    In the meanwhile I've got all my 2 examiners running. Connection possible to the ECU's of some cars. I had the same issue with connection problems with the VCI / CAN Card and found another card on the internet, bought it and the connection ist possible with the "new VCI / CAN Card"
    IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FLASH CDs - The Flash CDs are only for Updating a cars ECU!!!
    The eeprom on the VCI Card is flashed at first bootup after installation of a new version!!! (Of course this can only be done if the BIOS Settings are correct AND the CMOS Batt. issue is solved - SEE ABOVE!)
    The latest version for the first VCI Card (with only one 15pin connector for the 3-pin "fiat plug") is the Rel. 4.10!

I have one faulty VCI / CAN board which is sending a signal out to the ECU of a car (I'm sure about that because on a '97 Gtv the key symbol at the dash lights up at a connection with the ecu), but doesn't get a connection. So I think this faulty board sends something but isn't able to receive anything.

Is anybody around here who had a similar problem and got it solved already?

For any CDs or Floppys it is better to copy them direct from CD to CD or Floppy to Floppy without image. I had several problems with images. If you need a copy please send me a PM.

Regards. Fochista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi to all, where i can get the 5.40 software or an image with windows 3.11 because all the links are dead. Thank you very much!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi there,

i digged out this old thread About the Alfa Examiner :-)

At first i want to say thank you to all contributors of this thread, as i found very helpful hints about this examiner device.

Actually i try to tune the HW a Little bit. The MoBo has two RAM sockets and therefore i added a second ram modul (same Samsung type as the original) with another 8 MByte. During boot the ram is checked and ok. But when Windows starts it hangs after the Windows Logo. I also tried with two 32 Meg Kingston edo ram modules. The 64 Meg are recognized and checked but it hangs again after the Windows logo.

Did anybody successfully add more ram and if yes what is the trick? Second did anyone install a DX2 66 MHz or even a DX4 CPU?

KR
    162B6C

nono06

Hello
    i have old setup floppies for the first look. i'm looking for that w.end.
    in any case, the program must be installed by diskette, given the date of manufacture.
    tranduction by gogole.
    if i have the program, i will put it on my mega count and pass in pm

nono06

I have the cd 3.2 5.2 and 5.20.1, the 5.3 then also 6.2 and 6.5
    flash 4.2 and 5.6
    also floppies 3.1 and 3.4 for windows 3.1
    probably others in my workshop.I will see what we do.
    I do not know if I have 5.4
    all original articles

nono06

Hello kingdom
    I have 5.2 / 5.3 and 5.5 if you still search and with floppy disks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi,

i upgraded my black Examiner with Win 3.1 from a VCI card to a VCI/CAN card. The installed examiner software was 4.2. Now i upgraded to 4.3. The problem is, that even after the sw upgrade examiner starts with the warning

"this examiner has a communication board which has not been updated! Consequently some programs will not work correctly. Solution: The Instrument must be updated with the new VCI/CAN board … "

=> the examiner update routine does obviously not check which board is installed.

Does anybody know which changes need to be done manually or could eventually post his ini files here in the forum? I suspect some changes in win.ini or System.ini are missing.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

issue solved :-)

V.I.P. Member
    Meatheadshire (Between London and Scotland)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 162B6C View Post
    issue solved :-)
    Well upload your working solution with no password

Was Banned For Being Certifiably Insane and Stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

"this examiner has a communication board which has not been updated! Consequently some programs will not work correctly. Solution: The Instrument must be updated with the new VCI/CAN board … "
    Have similar message after upgrade from 3.6 to 5.40 (VCI / CAN card can't be configured, and it isn't visible for examiner, before upgrade it was) Bios battery is died (is this cause ?)... How did You solve problem?

I changed bios settings, but probablly battery must be changed (to prevent settings erase) , and then rel. must be installed again to configure VCI board - right ?

EDIT :
    DS12887+ ordered. I will change it, and then VCI should be recognized.

Here's some examiner files (I have many rel. CD's from 3.1 but haven't got time for copy it) :

3.4 floppy : https://mega.nz/folder/jR4XTZYR#g_9xAVDcdycVKku3sAAq7A

5.20 floppy : https://mega.nz/folder/3ExBQAgB#nzwolexpscOW3eywOE7xPg

rel. 5.20 : https://mega.nz/folder/yYBmHSCa#oXagUzjcmSgzzMaocsHlJw

rel. 5.30 : https://mega.nz/folder/acQWgQYD#umpgeOu83rDNpioZj9c8cQ

rel. 5.40 : https://mega.nz/folder/6RxxxJLS#dZZL7EMpjy2hadPdtYiiuA

rel. 5.60 (works on old black Z5082B, but must be installed from DOS level) : https://mega.nz/file/DRgRBRya#fawavN...y9SPjGLSittoXA

flash CD 3.5 : https://mega.nz/file/2YxFXDID#8d3Q8u...dgo3YVw0s3g91g

recovery CD v1.0 : https://mega.nz/file/2YoFHRgS#NLgXsA...5IL_WBOV1GJE8o

RS232 mouse driver (If touchscreen is dead. Put it on drive, and write patch to autoexec.bat, so driver will automatically start with examiner) : https://mega.nz/file/iRoF3TKS#QfTzfP...GzxGEAlabfihek

PS2 to RS232 mouse adapter : https://hackaday.io/project/27575-ps...ouse-converter
    Last edited by 1608cc; 7th July, 2020 at 02:55 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1608cc For This Useful Post:

hmagga (1st June, 2022), raparici (4th October, 2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@1608cc

i downloaded the recovery cd link, but it has only 7 MByte and after unzipping it, it seems that a lot of files are missing. Could you post an ISO Image of the original CD?

(I have many rel. CD's from 3.1 but haven't got time for copy it) :

Do you also have the 5.60.2 CD ???

Kind regards
    Last edited by 162B6C; 10th July, 2020 at 11:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1608cc View Post

I changed bios settings, but probablly battery must be changed (to prevent settings erase) , and then rel. must be installed again to configure VCI board - right ?
    the VCI/CAN board should also work with a dead BIOS battery. The CMOS Settings are needed for the DVOM Adapter only. You can easily test it with the Diagnose functions of the examiner.

The black examiner also works with 5.60.1. I have written a small script to install it.

Here some further suggestions for improvements:

- install a 3COM ISA 10 Mbit LAN Interface with a RJ45 plug + WfW 3.11. WfW 3.11 natively supports this Adapter. Then you can share your C drive and map this drive from another machine and copy files to the examiner throu the Network. Makes it much smoother
    - replace the floppy drive with a floppy Emulator and copy all floppy Images on a USB stick
    - Change the Jumper Setting on the MoBo from 25 to 33 MHz and the CPU runs with 66 MHz instead with 50 MHz
    - it is also possible to upgrade the RAM from 8 Mbyte to 64 Mbyte, what is the maximum supported by MS-DOS
    - there are PATA - SATA Adapters available, which allows you to replace the hard disk with a SATA one.
    - solder a socket on the Mobo what makes the CMOS battery plug and Play

Kind regards

PS: i am quite confident, that it is also possible to get the 6.x versions up and running, but to script it is a bunch of work because of the big number of files ...
    Last edited by 162B6C; 10th July, 2020 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I think recovery CD zip is good - it's only DOS, win and drivers. Examiner need to be installed separately. Here is .daa image : https://mega.nz/file/zdYkAQ4C#lsJNqs...xWdbAO3uUjkk0E

Rel. 5.60.1 : https://mega.nz/file/HcQwxSiD#-qT8oz...HbE9WxStAsb4n4

Rel. 5.60.2 : https://mega.nz/file/zRBSHAKA#58Jvml...fD9eeDhKGABYvo

I suppose, rels 5.60.1 and 5.60.2 is only preparation for password type actualisations. 5.40 rel is enough for me - it support all of ECU's in Lancia Thesis which I want to use Examiner with. My friend tested rel 5.60, and it work much slower than 5.40.

- Change the Jumper Setting on the MoBo from 25 to 33 MHz and the CPU runs with 66 MHz instead with 50 MHz
    - solder a socket on the Mobo what makes the CMOS battery plug and Play
    Done. 66MHz appear in bios menu after jumpers change. I soldered socket too - DS12887 must have good contact, because otherwise examiner won't start.

With battery down, DVOM adapter isn't recognized (ISA configuration in BIOS, was resetting all time). With new DS, DVOM works (I checked ampere meter and 5 bar pressure sensor - only thermometer not work, idk why, but it doesn't matter now (all measurments kits are factory new !))

The most important thing not work - VCI card. I have two cards old VCI without CAN, and CAN upgrade one, which was mounted when I bought it. I took it off, and then saw F1 fuse, replaced with 2mm wire... Very good idea !!! Led's on VCI board flashes, but card hasn't got comunication with mobo. I mount old VCI card, and it has been immediately recognized by examiner. It pass ineternal ROM test, but when I short K and L line it fails this test - probably release must be older one, to works with this card.

Anyone has idea what can be wrong with CAN VCI ? Maybe flash memory is down ? (Intel 28F400 with mot. mc68hc16z1cfc16 co-op, programmer is veeery expensive to read 28F400 via mc68 BDM)
    Last edited by 1608cc; 12th July, 2020 at 05:37 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 1608cc For This Useful Post:

raparici (4th October, 2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

in the Folder \dev are three Tools which you can use to check whether the vci board is recognised:
    - vcirst.exe: Returns an errorlevel value, depending on what type of board is recognised
    - dnld_vci.exe: to upgrade the Firmware of the old vci board
    - dnld_can.exe: to upgrade the Firmware of the Combo board

dnld_can.jpg

the latest Firmware for the VCI board is dated 13th of June 2000. After this time there where no more updates. This version should work with your Version 5.40.
    For the CAN-BUS Card a new Version comes with every examiner Version. This means you should install the Firmware which was shipped together with Examiner v5.40.
    For me 5.60 works with the same speed like 5.40

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

CAN is still not recognized ...

107826007_3471177746239865_7319220835441991944_n.jpg

I update firmware in old VCI, and Examiner says that card must be changed to new CAN version, otherwise not all functions will work (I hope kline will)

109602086_281667259938038_2254852844917630836_n.jpg

107821016_289449885700639_8659592015894683867_n.jpg

The CAN card in one of older eper costs over 2000 euro... I asked my dealer, but it will be probably not even available to buy.
    I bought second Examiner with damaged display, and I hope its CAN card will work...
    Any other ideas, what part of CAN card can be faulty ? ISA port is for sure 100% working - VCI works on it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast