Register
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Default Fiat Examiner (old) drivers

Hi everyone

I have recently acquired an old fiat examiner (HP with a 486DX processor inside), it's HDD broke, and lost everything on it. I saw a few posts here and elsewhere about recovery cd-s but all of them were for windows98. But unfortunately win98 won't install on this, I only managed to install win 3.1, but there's absolutely nothing for it. I'm also curious if I get another similar motherboard for this examiner (one that supports ISA slots and has a Pentium I processor in it for example) will I be able to install the examiner software still, or will this make it impossible?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts

Its for windows 3.11 !!
    Its better to trash it because you can use Fiat ecuscan
    Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars (Powered by FiatECUScan)
    or Alfa OBD (is better i think) AlfaOBD
    For minimum of cost's Euro 50,00 or a frind can help with activation tools.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

I'm only messing around with it, I don't really intend to use it for some serious diagnosing...I got other tools for that
    I'm mostly just interested in it's touch screen, but I can't find drivers for it. Doesn't anyone have something for this oldie?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    249 Posts

the drivers are included in the Recovery cd which is basically softwareversion v1.0 from which you can upgrade to v 5.40 max.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

I think the recovery cd I got is V2.2.
    The version.txt says:
    CD RECOVERY EXAMINER FIAT
    VSOFT VISU=V2.2
    VSOFT=V2.2.1
    DATE=25/06/2004
    But this is for win98! Isn't this for the examiner smart? I doubt it's touch screen has the same drivers or does it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

If I remember correctly, I used these when I was in the same situation as you, DOS and Windows 3.X -> dwdsk.zip.

Elo Touch Solutions — Archived (unsupported) drivers and files
    The old HP Examiner is better to use when dealing with older Alfas than Fiat ecuscan/Alfa OBD is.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alfa GTV For This Useful Post:

ACDC (23rd April, 2013)

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

The latest CD release for the "good old black examiner" is
    5.40 with floppy disk to recover the system !

MS-DOS 6.2 with Win3.11 on Top !

columbo25
    Last edited by columbo25; 21st February, 2013 at 01:16 PM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ACDC View Post
    I think the recovery cd I got is V2.2.
    The version.txt says:
    CD RECOVERY EXAMINER FIAT
    VSOFT VISU=V2.2
    VSOFT=V2.2.1
    DATE=25/06/2004
    But this is for win98! Isn't this for the examiner smart? I doubt it's touch screen has the same drivers or does it?
    the V2.2 recovery cd is for the Examiner Smart, it won't work for the old HP Examiner.
    You will need the recovery cd for the old HP Examiner, it includes the drivers for the touchscreen...

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

You can also install a complete english WIN3.11 for Workgroup incl. MS-DOS and than you have only to copy the folders from the Examiner 5.40 cd over the existing Windows installation !

So i realised a little mini examiner without touchscreen and the old VCI-Card without CAN option !
    columbo25

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Thanks for the replies, now I managed to get the touch-screen working thanks to Alfa GTV
    Does anyone happen to have this examiner 5.40 recovery cd?
    I'm also thinking about swapping the motherboard for this examiner to something a bit faster, but if I do can I still use the recovery disc?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by columbo25 View Post
    You can also install a complete english WIN3.11 for Workgroup incl. MS-DOS and than you have only to copy the folders from the Examiner 5.40 cd over the existing Windows installation !

So i realised a little mini examiner without touchscreen and the old VCI-Card without CAN option !
    Do not think you can do so, you need to use the Examiner installation program at least if you have a VCI-Card with CAN support, each version of the Examiner software installs its own version of firmware to the VCI-Card and the Examiner software are complaining if there is a mismatch between
    Examiner software and VCI-Card firmware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ACDC View Post
    Thanks for the replies, now I managed to get the touch-screen working thanks to Alfa GTV
    Does anyone happen to have this examiner 5.40 recovery cd?
    I'm also thinking about swapping the motherboard for this examiner to something a bit faster, but if I do can I still use the recovery disc?
    There is no Examiner 5.40 recovery CD but there is recovery CD's for Examiner (DOS/Win 3.X), Examiner + (Win 95), Examiner Smart (Win 98) containing drivers and OS files for the various Examiner units.

Examiner 5.40 is the Examiner diagnostic software you use when you are "talking" with your Alfa/Fiat/Lancia.

You do not need to have the floppy disk to install the Examiner diagnostic software if you have drivers for the
    CD-ROM unit installed (generic drivers works) so that you have access to the CD-ROM unit and are able to run the Examiner diagnostic software installation program directly from the CD.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Man,

shure i know what i?m talking about, because i did it !!!

The old black Examiner one, first diagnostic computer for all F/A/L Models.

To the beginning the computer was configurated only with a VCI - ISACard and one Diagnostic connector. When they start with A147 and Stilo they changed the ISA-VCI Card to a card with two connectors K-Line and Can.

This old card where most dealers pushed into the trash i have builded into an old single computer compaq Pentium one without Touchscreen but with mouse and normal monitor !

The floppy disk only starts the computer format your harddisk make it bootable and copy the whole cd to the harddisk.

Thats the way from the old black Examiner one with msdos and win311 system !!!

See the picture of the file structure
    Attached Images Attached Images
    columbo25

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by columbo25 View Post
    Man,

shure i know what i?m talking about, because i did it !!!

The old black Examiner one, first diagnostic computer for all F/A/L Models.

To the beginning the computer was configurated only with a VCI - ISACard and one Diagnostic connector. When they start with A147 and Stilo they changed the ISA-VCI Card to a card with two connectors K-Line and Can.

This old card where most dealers pushed into the trash i have builded into an old single computer compaq Pentium one without Touchscreen but with mouse and normal monitor !

The floppy disk only starts the computer format your harddisk make it bootable and copy the whole cd to the harddisk.

Thats the way from the old black Examiner one with msdos and win311 system !!!

See the picture of the file structure
    And where did you get that CD? It's impossible to find anything for this thing.....

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Here is my contribute, release 5.40 the last for the old dos/Win311 Examiner !

Attached Files Attached Files
    columbo25

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to columbo25 For This Useful Post:

ACDC (23rd April, 2013), brchip (18th September, 2013), gerryc89 (20th March, 2016), mehmet3531 (30th September, 2022), motocarlos (9th December, 2020)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast