Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Default damaged turbo charger after remap EDC16 Golf 5 140hp

Hello I wold like to get your feeback about a remap I did two days ago. Unfortunately at fullspeed 220km/h 6th gear at about 4200 rpm car didn't accelerate any more, white smoke in the mirrow => the charger was gone!
    I did a log befor flashing and after in third gear, my intension was not to have much more torque after 4000rpm! What is your opinion abut the remap? is it really bullshit and caused the damage or was the charger faulty and misfortune?
    Thanks for your help in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

not a brilliant tune, but it is certainly not a reason for turbo failure in such short time. misfortune i would say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

thank you for your honest answer, what could be better?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

yer,its not the best tune...but take alook at the turbo map.....% increase isnt very linearturbo.JPG

MAGPRO X17--AT-200--SCANMATIC BENCH--PCMFLASH--MITSUBISHI MUT-III---OPENPORT 2 MMC FLASHER

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts

Another titanium job
    Kess v2 FW 5.017 full unlimited token - Ktag 7.020 full unlimited token
    ALL EDC17/MED17 EEPROM CHECKSUM + VAG IMMO OFF BY EEPROM - NO SAFE

EDC16/17 POPCORN - ME7/7.5 ANTI LAG - LAUNCH ALS/NLS

DPF EGR DTC SCR, Custom Tuning, Damos Translation, FRF / SGO Files
    Professional Engine Software Development

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ecutuners View Post
    Another titanium job
    have a look e.g. at $E8B24 and rethink your conclusion...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pablo1971 View Post
    yer,its not the best tune...but take alook at the turbo map.....% increase isnt very linearturbo.JPG
    yes is not very linear because i desired an early almost constant pressure progression. From 4000 rpm the torque falls down to something between 300 and 350NM there is at most 220mbar more pressure desired. Is this to much for the turbo?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    524 Posts

ecu tuners is right. i dont think 2,4 and 2,5 bar is healthy on a garret designed for 2,2 bar. you can forget about its duty life.
    also all injection realted maps were increased and high load @4000rpm scale.

You got max turbo and max inj q at highest revs... a used car would find difficult to handle that. Maybe your oil wasnt new, and other factors.. Conclusion... this remap helped, copntributed, played an important role in blowing your turbo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ominimicu View Post
    ecu tuners is right. i dont think 2,4 and 2,5 bar is healthy on a garret designed for 2,2 bar. you can forget about its duty life.
    also all injection realted maps were increased and high load @4000rpm scale.

You got max turbo and max inj q at highest revs... a used car would find difficult to handle that. Maybe your oil wasnt new, and other factors.. Conclusion... this remap helped, copntributed, played an important role in blowing your turbo.
    multumec de raspuns thank you also for your honest opinion. At lower rpm there is at most 305mbar more, for this pressure at lower rpm on crank the compressor don't needs to spin to fast as it would need for higher rpm on crank. The oil was not new but ok. Is 200mbar more pressure at 4000 rpm to much for this turbo? iQ is lower than 57mg/stroke after 4000, original it is about 51, don't think that this is the limit (12%). my 1.9TDI 130HP holds 63mg/stroke there.
    Last edited by cruuz; 16th April, 2013 at 11:19 AM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts

Higher exhaust gas temperatures helped to kill your turbo.
    Kess v2 FW 5.017 full unlimited token - Ktag 7.020 full unlimited token
    ALL EDC17/MED17 EEPROM CHECKSUM + VAG IMMO OFF BY EEPROM - NO SAFE

EDC16/17 POPCORN - ME7/7.5 ANTI LAG - LAUNCH ALS/NLS

DPF EGR DTC SCR, Custom Tuning, Damos Translation, FRF / SGO Files
    Professional Engine Software Development

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ecutuners For This Useful Post:

Nio (16th April, 2013), wiseman (17th April, 2013)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    524 Posts

more rpm and burned fuel makes more exhaust, which makes the turbo spin faster, if the boost control valve allows for the wastegate to open. even if in lower rpm, the pressure maps says 300mbar more, this will be achived only if there are enough exahust gases.

for me is that the turbo spined so fast, it outbalanced itself and lubrication was not enought. i courious to see how s the turbo when you remove it. Dont forget to post pics. we ll know more or less what killed it if ti stuck, burnet from speed and frotation..etc

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Hmmm... if this tune killed the car, then i'm worried what the one I uploaded to a friends is going to do here! My impression was that the turbo was a gtv1749? Which is the same as my PD150 which has been running the turbo map in here for 60k miles no problem...

I run upto 1.7 bar and tail it off in the higher RPM.

From what changes I could see compared to mine the tune looked pretty tame . So a little misfortunate I feel.
    Last edited by poxxxy; 23rd April, 2013 at 03:48 PM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

hmmmmmmmm... not really nice tune work. I think Ecutuners has right, higher exhaust gas temperatures helped to kill your turbo. BR.
    "IF YOU THINK PROFESSIONAL PEOPLE COST YOU A LOT, IS BECAUSE YOU DID NOT KNOW HOW MUCH WILL COST YOU AN UNQUALIFIED"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nio For This Useful Post:

ecutuners (16th April, 2013)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    524 Posts

ouch, 2,7 bar? so much fuel bruning....huge increases man....if it were my car i wouldn t load this map...

am i too scared? or what? why do people increase soo much?

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Alot of VW forums seem to push the VNT-17 to those figures, . NM request calculations I made kind of said it needed that much fuel for the power required! Although my VCDS logs show drivers requested torque as only 410nm which seems to be wrong... i'm sure its not a diagnostic limit?? Also i'm pretty sure my EGR maps are incorrectly setup/modified! Anyone knowledgeable that could help it would be appreciated. I have changed my turbo map because I thought the x axis was IQ but apparently its torque in NM? In which case it was already setup for upto 500nm torque stock. My smoke map has also been modified slightly to calibrate for 1351mg air, not 1500 with some better values.
    MPPS Standalone Master, Magpro Base + X17, Dimsport New Genius, Piasini, Galletto V53, Kess V2, K-Tag, Trasdata remapping tools | OP-COM, VCDS, Fiat MultiECUScan, Ford F Super, Renault CAN Clip V124, INPA/NCS Expert + others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast