Web access for NAS drive?!
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Web access for NAS drive?!

Evening all,

I've not long had a Buffalo Terastation, and I want to access it from outside my network... it's not a brand new drive, the newer ones have all the web access crap built into them to make it easy

Anyway, I'm not too pie hot when it comes to networking, does anyone have any info that might hold the key?! I've been on google all bloody night!

Cheers!

Administrator
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts

If you want to ftp to it, forward the ip address of your modem to port 21 in your router settings.

You can get your modems ip address at What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more.

If you want to access the web interface, forward the ip address to port 80.
    Get Digital Kaos on your Apple or Android device with Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Cheers for the reply DF.

I'm guessing that port forwarding it to the web would open the flood gates and anyone could have access to it? I need something with some level of protection, like a login or something.

I've seen so many bits of info on the web, it's just plain bloody confusing me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would imagin that your nas drive has some form of security login when you access it so this should suffice as long as you have changed the default login details, Also I would setup port forwarding on a random high port as it is mainly ports 1-10000 that are scaned, the setup would look a little like external 12451 to internal 80, you would than have to brows to it using http://yourip:12451

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Cheers for that mate, I'll have a go tomorrow!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well, after messing about with it all (and failing), I read that I needed DynDNS in my life. Once I had that box ticked, I still couldn't get anything to work. I think I might be fighting a losing battle!

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by connercole View Post
    I would imagin that your nas drive has some form of security login when you access it so this should suffice as long as you have changed the default login details, Also I would setup port forwarding on a random high port as it is mainly ports 1-10000 that are scaned, the setup would look a little like external 12451 to internal 80, you would than have to brows to it using http://yourip:12451
    You can also use https://www.purevpn.com/what-is-my-ip I recently used it and was amazed how in detailed they have each and every information of the visitor.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

Just use filezilla and build your own server. Just port forward in your router

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."