Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Windows XP Support Stops 14th April

Guy's, sorry if this has already been posted but I think you should know (IF YOU DON'T ALREADY) that Microsoft offically stops supporting Windows XP from the 14 of April 2014, this means no more updates for it whatsoever, so anyone still using it, I'd advise if you haven't done so already that you to upgrade to windows 7 or windows 8.1, to prevent problems futher down the line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts

The upgrading problem is that you can run a Microsft test on your xp machine only to find that your system is not big enough to support anything higher. I have moved to Linux because of the changes even knowing that xp will still work, but more vunerable.
    I asked an IT guy recently why his employer still used xp on their machines and the theory was that an older OS might be less vunerable to attack as the hackers try to keep up with changing technology.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

The problem will be when it comes to say updating drivers for your printer, more than likley your printer manufacture will have stopped releasing drivers for XP making your printer useless on that OS, and as you say you will become more vunerable to hackers as the security you once had with updates is no longer there.

Myself I moved to Windows 7 just last year after first hearing about XP support stopping, Windows 7 support doesn't offically stop until 2020 I think so I've got another 6 years left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I still have 1 pc with windows 2000 just so I can use the old scanner I have (I use it once or twice a year) Main pc uses XP and works just fine, but I do have a couple with windows 7 just to try, and one with windows hate... I mean 8
    I also have one with dos 6.22 and windows NT for 2way radio programing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by R_J View Post
    I also have one with dos 6.22 and windows NT for 2way radio programing.

They must be old radios R_J i did my baofengs on xp ok m8..............
    I know you believe you understand what you think i said

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BUT <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what i meant !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

GP300's, I could move the software over but I'm too lazy, and I hav'nt been repairing any lately anyway. I usually install a couple dos partitions on my computers and put the drivers etc. on them. sometimes plain old dos just works better for somethings.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to R_J For This Useful Post:

lagerland (22nd January, 2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Windows XP anti-malware support extended until 2015, buys IT time
    Microsoft has announced the Windows XP end of support date of April 8, 2014. After this date, Windows XP will no longer be a supported operating system*. To help organizations complete their migrations, Microsoft will continue to provide updates to our antimalware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015.

From: Microsoft antimalware support for Windows XP - Microsoft Malware Protection Center - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
    Last edited by R_J; 22nd January, 2014 at 02:23 AM.