Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default advice needed regarding motorized setup wit vu solo

Hey guys

Hoping someone could help me diagnose a few problems with my setup.I had a 1m motorized dish setup by an installer a few weeks back.I used my dm500s to set everything up whilst I waited for my vu solo clone to come from aliexpress

I used 0.8w as reference satellite.the dreambox had a 90+% signal on it so I manually stored all the other sat's because the gotox function wouldn't work.

I got great signal on everything from 28.2e to 0.8w but couldn't find anything else.

But now that my vu has arrived I can't tune in 0.8w at all.it only has a signal of roughly 25% and won't lock.the long/lat wouldn't work either so I knocked a few degrees off one of them and then it found the satellites but signal isn't great.

I'm just wondering which way would I need to adjust the dish, seeing as I had to take a few degrees off of my longitude to find the satellites using usal's?

Also do I have a dodgy tuner or is it just more sensitive?I can still get 90%+ signal on my dm500 on Thor but can't even get a lock wit the vu solo

Any advice much appreciated

Awesome forum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SteJay View Post
    Hey guys

Hoping someone could help me diagnose a few problems with my setup.I had a 1m motorized dish setup by an installer a few weeks back.I used my dm500s to set everything up whilst I waited for my vu solo clone to come from aliexpress

I used 0.8w as reference satellite.the dreambox had a 90+% signal on it so I manually stored all the other sat's because the gotox function wouldn't work.

I got great signal on everything from 28.2e to 0.8w but couldn't find anything else.

But now that my vu has arrived I can't tune in 0.8w at all.it only has a signal of roughly 25% and won't lock.the long/lat wouldn't work either so I knocked a few degrees off one of them and then it found the satellites but signal isn't great.

I'm just wondering which way would I need to adjust the dish, seeing as I had to take a few degrees off of my longitude to find the satellites using usal's?

Also do I have a dodgy tuner or is it just more sensitive?I can still get 90%+ signal on my dm500 on Thor but can't even get a lock wit the vu solo

Any advice much appreciated

Awesome forum
    firstly why wouldnt the go-to-x not work? if your saying the dm500s is getting 90% then the vu solo should be aswell. try sending the dish back to zero then setting usals up in the vu solo menu with your lat/long details. when you have done this your dish should track fine if the installer set your system up using usals... also your motor/dish might have moved slightly on the pole due to the very heavy winds we have had which has put the system out slightly. regards mdt
    DM800HDSE SIM 2.10. SSL84D OPEN-ATV ORBITAL 80CM/DARK MOTOR/IBU/53E-30W

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mdt For This Useful Post:

SteJay (17th February, 2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

i to get weaker signals with vu+solo was told they have weaker tuner than most stbs,set my dish up with openbox with good signals then got my vu+ and was very disappointed with snr strength when looking 4 a feed on say 10E 8x out of 10 i cant get them but put openbox on and not much of a prob,but as mdt says your dish might of moved do to severe winds of late cheers shaun

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shaunfree For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdt View Post
    firstly why wouldnt the go-to-x not work? if your saying the dm500s is getting 90% then the vu solo should be aswell. try sending the dish back to zero then setting usals up in the vu solo menu with your lat/long details. when you have done this your dish should track fine if the installer set your system up using usals... also your motor/dish might have moved slightly on the pole due to the very heavy winds we have had which has put the system out slightly. regards mdt

Thanks for the reply mate.it may well have moved slightly it's just I can't tell by eye.when I send the box to 0 I'm pretty sure it misses it by a few degrees.if I was to send it to 0 and it misses-will adjusting it back to 0 solve my problem?

I'm pretty sure I have it on te arc as I have good signal on 13e 19e and 28e

I can still get over 90% on thor wit the dreambox but the vu can't even lock as I said

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shaunfree View Post
    i to get weaker signals with vu+solo was told they have weaker tuner than most stbs,set my dish up with openbox with good signals then got my vu+ and was very disappointed with snr strength when looking 4 a feed on say 10E 8x out of 10 i cant get them but put openbox on and not much of a prob,but as mdt says your dish might of moved do to severe winds of late cheers shaun
    That's good to hear man.at least it's not just my box.don't fancy sending it back to china for a replacement!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SteJay View Post
    Thanks for the reply mate.it may well have moved slightly it's just I can't tell by eye.when I send the box to 0 I'm pretty sure it misses it by a few degrees.if I was to send it to 0 and it misses-will adjusting it back to 0 solve my problem?

I'm pretty sure I have it on te arc as I have good signal on 13e 19e and 28e

I can still get over 90% on thor wit the dreambox but the vu can't even lock as I said
    unless you live on the grenwich meridian line your zero wont be on zero... if you get good signals on 28.2e/19.2e/13e on the vu but not thor then are you sure that you have an active transponder in the satfinder menu on the vu as if its looking for a dead transponder it cant get a lock. the vu solo,s tuner isnt bad its just not as good as some others and it should be fine on all the strong birds just like the dm500 is,regards mdt
    DM800HDSE SIM 2.10. SSL84D OPEN-ATV ORBITAL 80CM/DARK MOTOR/IBU/53E-30W

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mdt For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdt View Post
    unless you live on the grenwich meridian line your zero wont be on zero... if you get good signals on 28.2e/19.2e/13e on the vu but not thor then are you sure that you have an active transponder in the satfinder menu on the vu as if its looking for a dead transponder it cant get a lock. the vu solo,s tuner isnt bad its just not as good as some others and it should be fine on all the strong birds just like the dm500 is,regards mdt
    Thats a good suggestion I didnt think of that. The other problem is that in order for my long and lat to work using usals, i needed to change my long from roughly 7.1 to around 3.5.When i manually tuned them i got slightly better signals but they didnt save as I couldnt turn usals off in the tuner config menu

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

You have a few options in the Tuner setup menu most popular being Simple - Positioner then entering your USALS co-ordinates the other being Advanced which will let you tune each satellite individually with Diseqc 1.2, or you can use a combination of both which ever suits really

12. The Following User Says Thank You to digicon For This Useful Post:

SteJay (18th February, 2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In case anyone reads this thread wit the same issue.I changed the image on the box to a vix one and the signal levels have gone up and I get lock on more sat's compared to the blackhole one