Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Please help set up an external HD

Hi guys and girls. I was hoping to get some advice / instructions for my wii softmod.

I will be as detailed as possible, because I know it's very annoying helping people like myself with poor information. I apologize if this thread is redundant, but there's so many threads, across multiple forums that I haven't been able to wrap my head around the proper instructions.

First of all, I installed homebrew on wii, using the guide below, which uses the letterbomb hack and hackmii installer.
    Wii Homebrew Step-by-Step: A Guide to Hacking Your Wii

This is all I have done to my wii. I have the homebrew channel, and can see the bubbles floating along with my one app which I added to test and see if it was working.

My wii is running 4.3U.

I would like to do the following:

1. Play games on my wii through and external HD.
    2. Play video DVD's on my wii (much less important.)

Things I need to know:
    - What to install?
    - Where to find them?
    - How to put them on the SD card (if it's something other than a simple drag and drop?)
    - What format must games be in (I have read .iso will not work); and is there a program to convert .iso's?
    - Do I need an external with a separate power source, or will a laptop-sized usb external work?

I apologize if I haven't included all information. Thank you in advance for your help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts

Welcome to DK.

Yes there are loads of tutorials on softmodding on the web and some miss out details.

Your on a 4.3 if you weren't then I would suggest you do a system update, obviously you need web access.

You need a 2GB SD card not SDHC to softmod, afterwards you can use a 4GB SDHC card to add all apps and pictures.

You need to use LetterBomb with web access to softmod it and do all 3 options.

1. Install Homebrew.
    2. Install BootMii normally as an IOS.
    3. Prepare SD card. This makes a [bootmii] folder on the SD card so you can do the NAND backup. Now this part everyone misses.

You can add sysCheck19 to the SD card. After its softmodded HBC takes you to Homebrew on the SD card run sysCheck which saves the sysCheck.csv on the root of the SD card.

Download ModMii6.3.1 and run ModMii.exe from Windows. Use the SU option from the main menu and find the location of the sysCheck.csv from the sysCheck which is on the root of the SD card. That will download all missing wads and apps to COPY_TO_SD sub folder just add all files and folders to the SD card.

ModMii only installed 2 d2x v8.0 wads download d2x v8 Final wad pack and put these in the wad folder on the SD card, install all 7 wads when you install the other wads.

Put the SD card back in the Wii and run Homebrew. You already have IOS236 but it won't hurt to install it again. Run IOS236 Installer v5 Mod first before you install any other wads. Multi Mod Manager (MMM) should be the first app listed select it and load it. Once running scroll down to WAD Manager and press 'A' that will default to all wads in the wad folder. If you want to install all wads shown just press 1 that will list all wads you want to install press 'A' again to install them all.

Watch for the Installed OK message after each one. If any don't say that message make a note of the wad name and back out. Scroll down to the wad that didn't install and press the + button the put a green + next to it then press 'A' to see that wads name listed then press 'A' to install again.

Download PriiLoader 0.7 add it to the SD card and run it from Homebrew and set it to block online and disc updates, you can turn off the 'A' safety prompt on startup I do.

If you have a 4.3 then the Shopping Channel may work. If it doesn't without doing another system update don't bother just install my RVL-Shopping-21

Do another sysCheck to make sure everything installed correctly and post that.

Then you just have a to find a compatible mains powered USD hard drive to add your games onto and download USB Loader GX 3.0 to run them.
    Keith

Wii 4.3E, USB Loader GX, CFG USB Loader, WiiFlow

2010 Golf GTD (170)