linux on andriod media player
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default linux on andriod media player

hi was wondering if any one could point me in the right direction , i m thinking of buying an andriod media player... cyclone nano sim plus media player for example....wiping it clean and installing a linux system on it so that i can install xmbc and use it to stream movies etc ,,,,,anyone got any tutorials/downloads of how to do it or links to where i can find out more .....and finally how difficult it would be to do ....many thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts

Hi bigfella, not sure if this is what you're looking for DistroWatch.com: Android-x86
    but you can download it (iso file) and if on windows use Universal USB Installer ? Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
    or if you're on linux UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads
    most of these systems can be viewed by running from usb stick without actually installing them but you will want to read up first to be sure this is for you ie computer spec. etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M T Glass For This Useful Post:

bigfella (10th June, 2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M T Glass View Post
    Hi bigfella, not sure if this is what you're looking for DistroWatch.com: Android-x86
    but you can download it (iso file) and if on windows use Universal USB Installer ? Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
    or if you're on linux UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads
    most of these systems can be viewed by running from usb stick without actually installing them but you will want to read up first to be sure this is for you ie computer spec. etc.
    thanks for your help, i m looking to put the linux system on a usb stick then install it on the wiped andriod media player ....i ve heard this is the best system to play xmbc on the media player .....any further pointers/links would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts

Hi bigfella, having re-read my own post above I hope I don't come across as an expert on Linux....truth is - i'm fairly new to linux but wiped xp and having viewed a few distros (distributed operating systems - I now have Mint , Debian and Ubuntu on my humble 80GB Computer and prefer to stay with Debian. Linux Mint Forums ? Index page Download Linux Distributions - page 1 - sorted by last update descending As you can see on softpedia there are several distro versions coming out per day.http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/XBMC-Media-Center-41393.shtml

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by M T Glass; 20th June, 2014 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    hi was wondering if any one could point me in the right direction , i m thinking of buying an andriod media player... cyclone nano sim plus media player for example....wiping it clean and installing a linux system on it so that i can install xmbc and use it to stream movies etc ,,,,,anyone got any tutorials/downloads of how to do it or links to where i can find out more .....and finally how difficult it would be to do ....many thanks
    You know you can install xbmc on android straight from the xbmc website via your browser on the android media player or phone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shankill2012 For This Useful Post:

bigfella (30th June, 2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shankill2012 View Post
    You know you can install xbmc on android straight from the xbmc website via your browser on the android media player or phone.
    yes i kno , but have heard it runs better on a linux system so wanted to try it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts

Hi bigfella, I have tried xbmc and it's just another media player on its own and it has to be connect to tv etc. before it comes into its own. Then it's probably a great app but haven't gone that far with it been too far away from tv and the risk of upsetting the missus obsession for 'True Movies'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    Hi , have a look on this site and u might find what you are looking for - "stane1983.c*m" or "freaktab" there's a lot of info regarding android & xbmc.