Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default To VU or not to VU .. that is the question

Actually .. the title is a bit misleading as I think I've already made the decision "to VU".

I've already had this discussion in another thread after my Openbox S10 effectively blew up today. This is a good excuse for me to upgrade and get something with a UI that's a little bit less scrappy and "90's style" than the S10. After discussing with Ramjet, he suggested the Spiderbox or the VU+. Given that it's something I use every day for many hours, I don't mind forking out the extra money on the VU+ which seems like the better overall unit compared to the (admittedly very good looking) Spiderbox.

This leaves me with one question basically. There are 2 x VU+ boxes that I think will meet my needs. I don't need anything super-advanced as the S10 did everything I need. I just want something a bit more user-friendly than the S10 has to offer in terms of Navigation, Favourites, Channel Navigation etc.

1. VU+ Solo SE (which seems to be new this year)
    2. VU+ Solo (which seems to be the original model)

I would imagine that the SE is the better option as the newest one of the two (and at about ?30 more expensive)?

There also seems to be an option to have an image installed when you buy either unit before it's shipped. I have no experience of this at all, but I am in too much of a rush to spend days and days researching. Does anyone have any advice on this matter. I see "Blackhole" mentioned a few times, would that be the best option?

The back-story is that I am English, but living in Spain, and watching Italian TV (it's the best alternative to UK TV, and doesn't require a 2m dish to recieve!).

Thanks very much for any help,
    Cheers, Ori

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts

i just prefare vu,solo=single tuner,solo2=twin tuner,duo= twin tuner all running vix image,no idea of what sats are available for you in spain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

if you have never read up or dont know how to set up a linux box
    you will need to do a lot of reading and research to get the best from
    a vu, and i would get the box with a image pre loaded so you can view
    while you get up to speed with them and what you need to program and load
    items you need to open the channels and send chn lists to and from the box
    next my advice would be dont buy a clone get a genuine box, as for images
    thats just a matter of choice, i like the blackhole but others like vix or open pli
    if all you want is just the easiest way to get channels then there are much more
    user friendly boxes, but once mastered linux boxes are the choice of most satellite
    enthusiasts,
    Please Read Carefully!
    No Sky UK NDS Videoguard Hacking Discussions.
    Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal
    the files available are kept for experimental & educational purpose only
    original vu duo2 /vu zero/ tm-nano-se. v-box / 36v /1.2 dish,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the replies...

Sounds like the new SE version might be the best choice then.

I am pretty confident when it comes to learning these kind of things, I work in IT & Software and build PC's from the ground up all the time. I don't spend a lot of time with Linux, but if there are guides and tutorials on sites like this, then I should be fine. I have also ordered a replacement power supply board for the Openbox, so (assuming that works) I'll also have that as a backup.

Are the images essentially just different GUI's that all do the same basic functionality at the end of the day, or are they more like mini-operating systems, each with their own specific features and displays? Is there anywhere that lists what each one offers, or just to see how they look before I make any choices?

I think I can get anything in Spain that's available in the UK. Satellite-wise, I am pointing at Hotbird 13e for Italian Sky TV as it just needs the same size dish as normal Spanish Sky, and shows most of the same shows as UK. If I wanted UK TV, then I would need a 2 metre + dish....which isn't so easy to put up in the middle of a large city!

i am definitely looking for a genuine box. If it's harder to get to grips with than the Openbox S10, I don't want the hassle of also dealing with a dodgy clone box, and worrying about bricking it with firmware updates etc!!

Thanks again for the help,
    Cheers, Ori

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts

dont think be sure as with sat beams getting smaller lots are left with few channels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    dont think be sure as with sat beams getting smaller lots are left with few channels.
    I have been using the Openbox S10 for a few years here with Sky Italy (a few colleagues do the same). It works fine and I get access to loads of channels, including Polish Sky too if I want (they all have mostly English content).

I assume that won't change just because I have a different box on the end of the line other than the S10?

Cheers, Ori

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    498 Posts

1. VU+ Solo SE (which seems to be new this year)
    2. VU+ Solo (which seems to be the original model)

I would imagine that the SE is the better option as the newest one of the two (and at about ?30 more expensive)?

Yes the solo se would be the choice of these two as it has a pluggable tuner as well and is so much faster. Putting images on these boxes is fairly simple as long as you read twice before you do so. With the genuine box you don't have to make or search for a clone image. Get one with an image you prefer and once set up make a back up of the image and settings so that if you mess up you can reload what works. hth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, based on all of this, I just ordered a VU+ Solo SE today with Blackhole pre-installed
    I am still fairly confident that I can fix the OpenBox by replacing a capacitor, but I think it's time to upgrade anyway .. it's something we use for hours and hours every single day, so it's worth the investment!
    Just hope it works!!

Thanks for all the help!

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts

you forgot to post here you fixed it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

haha, true ... and yes, I fixed the Openbox using a capacitor from a dead Samsung monitor. Still, it's time for an upgrade and now I have a backup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never looked back going VU+ Solo2

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts

nope vu solo2 original one of the best boxes on the market,