Register
    DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

Default peugot bsi and air con not working

hi guys, i have a peugeot 308 2009 with a problem with the air con. it click the compressor on for about 20 seconds then disengages it. gas & pressures are ok, and my scan data shows everything to be ok too, except the BSI is making the decision to turn the compressor off.

ive tried a BSI reset & disconnecting the battery, no good. I was told the fuse box in the engine bay is a common issue, but was leaning away from this because there are no codes & it does it consistently after about 20 seconds, and the ecu is choosing to turn it off, I would think that if it was a connection, it would be random & the ecu would think the compressor is still on.

I was thinking a BSI issue so looked at it, it had no codes stored, but when I looked with AVDI, it lets me look at fault logs & i saw the the fault about cooling system-please check the pic attached. has anyone seen this before?

and finally, i was thinking a BSI issue, I see AVDI has BSI exchange available, I read the BSI and it seemed to work well, has anyone ever used this successfully? Would love to have this confirmed before I use it on a new BSI.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

work for 20 seconds,disengage and after a while work another 20 seconds and so on ,or have to restart engine to work just 20 seconds?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to danihaos For This Useful Post:

cqae (15th October, 2014)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    936 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cqae View Post
    hi guys, i have a peugeot 308 2009 with a problem with the air con. it click the compressor on for about 20 seconds then disengages it. gas & pressures are ok, and my scan data shows everything to be ok too, except the BSI is making the decision to turn the compressor off.

ive tried a BSI reset & disconnecting the battery, no good. I was told the fuse box in the engine bay is a common issue, but was leaning away from this because there are no codes & it does it consistently after about 20 seconds, and the ecu is choosing to turn it off, I would think that if it was a connection, it would be random & the ecu would think the compressor is still on.

I was thinking a BSI issue so looked at it, it had no codes stored, but when I looked with AVDI, it lets me look at fault logs & i saw the the fault about cooling system-please check the pic attached. has anyone seen this before?

and finally, i was thinking a BSI issue, I see AVDI has BSI exchange available, I read the BSI and it seemed to work well, has anyone ever used this successfully? Would love to have this confirmed before I use it on a new BSI.
    read this please....................................and controll your fan............................................... .........................
    P0495 indicates that the engine cooling fan is spinning faster than what is desired. The vehicle uses an electro-viscous fan clutch. It is similar in operation to the old style fanclutches, however, it can be controlled electroniclly by the Powertrain control module. It is common for the fan clutches to fail and stick "on". When the PCM sees that the fan clutch is stuck on, it will set this code. Another symptom often found when this occurs, is a very loud fan noise, similar to Semi and has even been described by some customers as sounding like a jet engine!

At any rate, GM came out with revised software calibrations that are supposed to "alleviate" some of these symptoms, but of all the software updates I have done, they usually don't fix the problem and the vehicle ends up getting a fan cluch anyway. Software calibrations must be done at the dealer and are not free, so you may just want to cut to the chase and replace the fan clutch. They run about $300-400 depending on where you purchase it from and can be a bear to replace!

On a side note, I have seen a few that had broken wires at the fan clutch connector (top
    driver side of radiator) and occasionally a rubbed wire behind the fan blade, so you will want to look at those closely before you sink a bunch of money into it

Last edited by betrescudan; 15th October, 2014 at 09:27 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to betrescudan For This Useful Post:

cqae (15th October, 2014)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danihaos View Post
    work for 20 seconds,disengage and after a while work another 20 seconds and so on ,or have to restart engine to work just 20 seconds?
    it works for about 20 seconds then will not come back on.........if I turn the engine off & leave it for a while, it will do the same thing next time I start it

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by betrescudan View Post
    read this please....................................and controll your fan............................................... .........................
    P0495 indicates that the engine cooling fan is spinning faster than what is desired. The vehicle uses an electro-viscous fan clutch. It is similar in operation to the old style fanclutches, however, it can be controlled electroniclly by the Powertrain control module. It is common for the fan clutches to fail and stick "on". When the PCM sees that the fan clutch is stuck on, it will set this code. Another symptom often found when this occurs, is a very loud fan noise, similar to Semi and has even been described by some customers as sounding like a jet engine!

At any rate, GM came out with revised software calibrations that are supposed to "alleviate" some of these symptoms, but of all the software updates I have done, they usually don't fix the problem and the vehicle ends up getting a fan cluch anyway. Software calibrations must be done at the dealer and are not free, so you may just want to cut to the chase and replace the fan clutch. They run about $300-400 depending on where you purchase it from and can be a bear to replace!

On a side note, I have seen a few that had broken wires at the fan clutch connector (top
    driver side of radiator) and occasionally a rubbed wire behind the fan blade, so you will want to look at those closely before you sink a bunch of money into it

I just checked on this Betrescudan, but during the 20-30 seconds my compressor is engaged the fans arent actually on. So I dont think this could be My issue, while I think I have heard them come on at some point during my testing, They definately arent stuck while it comes on or when it cuts out after about 30 seconds. What is interesting is that this isnt a fault code, its stored in the ECU's fault log, which my scanner doesnt see, but AVDIs PSA commander can access it. ALthough I scanned it with my Boasch scanner this morning & It was logged there as a standard code too, interesting!....ill keep looking and report
    Last edited by cqae; 16th October, 2014 at 12:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Is interesting to see what happens when ac works.If you can read live data see the pressure report by the pressure sensor.
    I had a 308 with similar behavior with defective pressure sensor,ac work few seconds pressure report by sensor rise above 25bar ac stop and don't work again.With pressure gauge I check the real pressure in ac circuit and was ok but the sensor report high and ac not work.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

both guage & live data show anout 9 bar which is pretty normal. Im thinking the fan might have something to do with it, if it cant control or monitor the fan speed it may cut out the compressor to protect itself, but since its only 2 wires to the fan I cant understand how the ECU would know that the fan isnt turning or its speed?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    936 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cqae View Post
    both guage & live data show anout 9 bar which is pretty normal. Im thinking the fan might have something to do with it, if it cant control or monitor the fan speed it may cut out the compressor to protect itself, but since its only 2 wires to the fan I cant understand how the ECU would know that the fan isnt turning or its speed?
    you have two relees into black box from radiators? check the relees green or indigo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to betrescudan For This Useful Post:

cqae (17th October, 2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

The fan is 2 speed low when start ac and if pressure rise, high speed.Low speed via power resistor in front of radiator.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to danihaos For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Is a common fault broken low speed resistor.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to danihaos For This Useful Post:

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

thanks!, you are exactly right danihaos! Unfortunately I went through all my diagnosis before I read your post! I just got it sorted today, but you were spot on. The compressor gets clicked out because the fan didnt come on & bthe BSI shuts it down to protect it. Strange it didnt log any fault codes initially though. But thanks for your help!