IPTV - not impressed
Register
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    276
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Default IPTV - not impressed

    Spent a few hours playing with the pi loading reps and while I think kodi is nicely crafted software the whole experience comes up short compared to sat or cable with a good server. The picture quality on the whole is poor, 80% of the links are dead. I assumed before NBC sports was pulled it would be good for live sport but quite the opposite, you can spend over an hour trying different links and still end up with crap quality. Mayweather fight-hopeless, I ended up downloading a torrent this morning. Maybe the attraction is its free, but I don't see it.

  2. #2
    Member billybob69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    I'm a newbie to IPTV and are a bit disappointed as well. The positives that I have noticed are -
    Obviously it's free. It's useful for the times - particularly with English audio - when the UK sports channels aren't showing the games i.e. 3pm Sat, some midweek games. The links are better maintained if you want to watch a channel rather than a certain game. I've found that some of the streaming websites are better 'maintained' than the XBMC plugins.

    I don't think that the Mayweather fight would have been a good benchmark for IPTV as the majority of links would have been on untested PPV feeds and there would have a huge spike in demand on the feeds servers.

    bb69

  3. #3
    DK Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    342
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikk View Post
    Spent a few hours playing with the pi loading reps and while I think kodi is nicely crafted software the whole experience comes up short compared to sat or cable with a good server. The picture quality on the whole is poor, 80% of the links are dead. I assumed before NBC sports was pulled it would be good for live sport but quite the opposite, you can spend over an hour trying different links and still end up with crap quality. Mayweather fight-hopeless, I ended up downloading a torrent this morning. Maybe the attraction is its free, but I don't see it.
    You just need to find the right repos or channels. Hqzone is good for sport


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    DK Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    342
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billybob69 View Post
    I'm a newbie to IPTV and are a bit disappointed as well. The positives that I have noticed are -
    Obviously it's free. It's useful for the times - particularly with English audio - when the UK sports channels aren't showing the games i.e. 3pm Sat, some midweek games. The links are better maintained if you want to watch a channel rather than a certain game. I've found that some of the streaming websites are better 'maintained' than the XBMC plugins.

    I don't think that the Mayweather fight would have been a good benchmark for IPTV as the majority of links would have been on untested PPV feeds and there would have a huge spike in demand on the feeds servers.

    bb69
    Try sports donkey. New just set up doing a yr for ?50. Seems good


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    276
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    I think that is the key-recommendations, the sheer number of addons make it a minefield. I understand links need maintaining and if the devs are doing it for free where's the incentive? Also some addons dont work with certain revisions of kodi. Somebody here said Sparky streams was good so I tried it and it was but now I assume its updated and its broken! I used to the think the dreambox needed constant attention but compared to this its a doddle. We need a go to place for recently updated stuff with tips and tricks for fixes. I am on the latest openelec-is it helix 14? and the majority of stuff doesnt play.

  6. #6
    DK Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    342
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikk View Post
    I think that is the key-recommendations, the sheer number of addons make it a minefield. I understand links need maintaining and if the devs are doing it for free where's the incentive? Also some addons dont work with certain revisions of kodi. Somebody here said Sparky streams was good so I tried it and it was but now I assume its updated and its broken! I used to the think the dreambox needed constant attention but compared to this its a doddle. We need a go to place for recently updated stuff with tips and tricks for fixes. I am on the latest openelec-is it helix 14? and the majority of stuff doesnt play.
    I bought mine from droid sticks and they update the repos a lot. Which help cause they delete and introduce new ones


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •