IPTV - not impressed
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default IPTV - not impressed

Spent a few hours playing with the pi loading reps and while I think kodi is nicely crafted software the whole experience comes up short compared to sat or cable with a good server. The picture quality on the whole is poor, 80% of the links are dead. I assumed before NBC sports was pulled it would be good for live sport but quite the opposite, you can spend over an hour trying different links and still end up with crap quality. Mayweather fight-hopeless, I ended up downloading a torrent this morning. Maybe the attraction is its free, but I don't see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm a newbie to IPTV and are a bit disappointed as well. The positives that I have noticed are -
    Obviously it's free. It's useful for the times - particularly with English audio - when the UK sports channels aren't showing the games i.e. 3pm Sat, some midweek games. The links are better maintained if you want to watch a channel rather than a certain game. I've found that some of the streaming websites are better 'maintained' than the XBMC plugins.

I don't think that the Mayweather fight would have been a good benchmark for IPTV as the majority of links would have been on untested PPV feeds and there would have a huge spike in demand on the feeds servers.

bb69

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikk View Post
    Spent a few hours playing with the pi loading reps and while I think kodi is nicely crafted software the whole experience comes up short compared to sat or cable with a good server. The picture quality on the whole is poor, 80% of the links are dead. I assumed before NBC sports was pulled it would be good for live sport but quite the opposite, you can spend over an hour trying different links and still end up with crap quality. Mayweather fight-hopeless, I ended up downloading a torrent this morning. Maybe the attraction is its free, but I don't see it.
    You just need to find the right repos or channels. Hqzone is good for sport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billybob69 View Post
    I'm a newbie to IPTV and are a bit disappointed as well. The positives that I have noticed are -
    Obviously it's free. It's useful for the times - particularly with English audio - when the UK sports channels aren't showing the games i.e. 3pm Sat, some midweek games. The links are better maintained if you want to watch a channel rather than a certain game. I've found that some of the streaming websites are better 'maintained' than the XBMC plugins.

I don't think that the Mayweather fight would have been a good benchmark for IPTV as the majority of links would have been on untested PPV feeds and there would have a huge spike in demand on the feeds servers.

bb69
    Try sports donkey. New just set up doing a yr for ?50. Seems good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I think that is the key-recommendations, the sheer number of addons make it a minefield. I understand links need maintaining and if the devs are doing it for free where's the incentive? Also some addons dont work with certain revisions of kodi. Somebody here said Sparky streams was good so I tried it and it was but now I assume its updated and its broken! I used to the think the dreambox needed constant attention but compared to this its a doddle. We need a go to place for recently updated stuff with tips and tricks for fixes. I am on the latest openelec-is it helix 14? and the majority of stuff doesnt play.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikk View Post
    I think that is the key-recommendations, the sheer number of addons make it a minefield. I understand links need maintaining and if the devs are doing it for free where's the incentive? Also some addons dont work with certain revisions of kodi. Somebody here said Sparky streams was good so I tried it and it was but now I assume its updated and its broken! I used to the think the dreambox needed constant attention but compared to this its a doddle. We need a go to place for recently updated stuff with tips and tricks for fixes. I am on the latest openelec-is it helix 14? and the majority of stuff doesnt play.
    I bought mine from droid sticks and they update the repos a lot. Which help cause they delete and introduce new ones