Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Can anyone recommend the VU+ Zero or ZGemma S?

Been out the loop for a while and haven't a clue what box to buy my mum. Budget is up to ?100, single tuner is fine and must be a Linux box with support for other software, ideally PLI or VIX.

The reason I asked about the VU is on another forum, the name escapes me just now - some members have said the VU has problems with either power supplies or internal power regulation causing them to burn out some fuse and have suggested that I look more towards the ZGemma range?

Is there any truth in this? Ta..

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

The Zgemma range are only Single core 750mhz CPU so when fully loaded up can be painfully slow the Vu Zero on the other hand is a Dual core 750mhz CPU and so is twice as fast, if your uncertain about the Vu the have a look at the TM Nano-SE or the New M2 version both are identical to the Vu Zero CPU/Chipset wise but the M2 has the facility to have an Internal 2.5" Hard drive installed for recording which is a nice feature if you need it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to digicon For This Useful Post:

ramjet (27th October, 2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yes, I've looked at the M2 but it looks like it's dual scart only and was worried about picture quality against HDMI. Will give the ZGemma a miss!!

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,742 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LindaJones View Post
    Yes, I've looked at the M2 but it looks like it's dual scart only and was worried about picture quality against HDMI. Will give the ZGemma a miss!!
    I dont think we are talking about the same model the M2 is the new version of the TM-Nano-SE M2 which now supports 2.5" internal hard drive if needed it runs the BCM7362 Dual core 750mhz CPU it has no scart connection just 1 x HDMI and 1 x 3.5mmm jack A/V socket for non HDMi equipped TV's

6. The Following User Says Thank You to digicon For This Useful Post:

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts

zero and tm will run vix image and excellent boxes whereas not supported on zgemma.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's great, thanks guys. The TM and VU both look like they are good bang for buck, VU more so because it runs blackhole which I've always wanted to try. I'll take a gamble on the power supply issue.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LindaJones For This Useful Post: