Register
Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast
    V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

Default Xbox complete guide to flashing, burning games..updated

Ok First off i want to make it clear, this guide, and the information in here is on the web in other places.

The May 2011 Dashboard (console) update flashes drives to a stocK Firmware. If you took the update then you not be able to play backups. The advice at this time, await new firmware (currectly in development) before flashing a custom firmware. If you flash your drive, to a LT version lower than 1.9 then its your risk.

BEFORE RUNNING ANY CONSOLE UPDATE (NOT GAME) I ADVISE TO RETURN YOUR DRIVE TO THE CORRECT STOCK FW. FAILURE TO DO THIS CAN WARRENT A FLAG FOR A BAN BUT ALSO CAUSE A FAILED UPDATE. ALSO, DO NOT RUN UPDATES FROM BACKUPS. THIS CAN ALSO LEAD TO PROBLEMS DURING THE UPDATE PROCESS.

Tools you may need are :
    T10 Screwdriver.
    A small flat headed screw driver, or a strong paper clip for indoing the black clips. This could also be used to remove the grills at top and bottom of the Xbox.
    I recomend buying a CK3 kit, this will make powering the drive easier in the long run. Just use google to find somewhere to buy 1 ( ck3 kit uk - Google Search )

To make an xbox 360 play backup copies. You will need to modify the DVD Drive firmware, this viods the warrenty of the xbox. So basically, if you get it wrong, and end up bricking it, then your the only person to blame. I also need to add that, Microsoft do scan for modified firmware on the 360 and this, if caught, you will be bannned from Xbox Live.

Ok, now you know the risks. This is what you are up against. The Xbox 360 has 4 differant types of DVD Drive inside them. All with differant revisions, ranging in difficulties. These are :

Hitachi
    Samsung
    Benq
    Liteon

To find out what drive you have you are best to take the Xbox apart. Though it is possible to tell by removing the faceplate and ejecting the tray of the drive. This wont tell you the revision of the drive though.

To take the Xbox apart watch this video : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG3B7sn-o4I"]YouTube- How to Take Apart the Xbox 360[/ame]

OK now you have the Xbox apart, and can tell what drive and the revision you have. You can see what method is best for you. Here are some videos on how to do 1 of each revisions of the drives. Please be aware that each reision of each drive, the method could differ. Please check before trying to flash the drive, as you could end up with a brick

Hitachi : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEhJyHklzxE"]YouTube- Flashing a xbox 360 v78 dvd drive with Jungle Flasher v1.51[/ame]
    Samsung : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKIokYGw2Bc"]YouTube- Flashing the samsung Xbox360 Drive with 1 61FW[/ame]
    BenQ : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbVFgVBATxY"]YouTube- How to Flash the BenQ VAD6038 Xbox 360 DVD Drive[/ame]
    Liteon : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IgVuGk9Ogg"]YouTube- How to Flash the Firmware of the LiteOn DG-16D2S (rev. 7485) Xbox 360 DVD Drive[/ame] Please note. This model of drive, could require extra hardware/modding that will cover later on.

Before flashing a Liteon Drive, regardless of revision, it is recommended that you remove the laser ribbon

For the best methods, please check the Jungleflasher guide, this is an in depth guide on all known methods for all revisions of all drives.

Ok i will try to cover the basic questions that are asked inside these forums.

Q. I tried to flash my drive, and it locked up/crashed during the method used.
    A. Samsung, BenQ and Liteon drives are recoverable, as long as you obtained your key/orig.bin You can use the method located here : http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...liteons-55448/ It is possible to recover the drive inside jungleflasher by device intro and power cycling the drive. If its an hitachi, then i am afraid its a brick. If you retrieved the firmware before it bricked, you can spoof it to another drive. If you did not, then you will have to find someone who can lift the firmware chip off the drive and obtain the firmware. I do know someone who does this.

Q. I have got the dreaded RROD or E74.
    A. Good news. Of you have not opened the Xbox, and its within the 3 years warrenty, send it back for a refurbed unit. If not then look into Xclamp methods.

Q. I flashed my drive, but i cant play backups.
    A. Check an origianl disc to make sure the Xbox is functioning correctly. If an original plays, try burning the game to a Verb disc. These are found to work the best with the Xbox. Also ensure you run your games though ABGX. Old but usufull guides on this here http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...t-guide-38867/

Q. My Xbox has encounterd a fault and i am unsure
    A. Check here first FAQ: Xbox 360 Error Codes Explained - Scenyx Entertainment Community

Q. I have the newer liteon drives. How are these modded.
    A. These will require soldering, there are varying methods, like the LT Switch, Probe V2..This is known as the MRA hack. There are guides out there, these are the best that i have found. :
    LT Switch Xecuter LT Switch (ALL LITEON DRIVES) - Installation *UPDATED 3/11/2010* - Team Xecuter
    NOTE ALL LITEON DRIVES, ONCE FLASHED TO LT WILL REQUIRE THIS METHOD. All Drive with MFR date later the Aug 09 will require this method

Q. What is JTAG and what does it achieve
    A. JTAG is a method that opens up the platform to enable custom code to run on the Xbox

Q. I have read this information, but however cant find the Jungleflasher software or guide
    A. Fear not, links are located on this site : Jungle Flasher - Downloads

Usefull information just google the following :

Team Jungle
    Team Xecuter
    Maximus
    Xbox Scene
    How to JTAG a xbox 360

If you are unable to locate anything including the firmware for the drives. Its located on XBINS, which is located here Digital Kaos - Downloads - XBINS

Usefull Guides including Team Jungles work are here : http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...0-guides-1249/

AP 25 Drives and Firmware

Hitachi-LG GDR-3120L 46DH NO AP25 TECHNOLOGY
    Hitachi-LG GDR-3120L 47DG NO AP25 TECHNOLOGY
    Hitachi-LG GDR-3120L 47DJ NO AP25 TECHNOLOGY
    Hitachi-LG GDR-3120L 59DJ NO AP25 TECHNOLOGY
    Hitachi-LG GDR-3120L 78FK HAS AP25 TECHNOLOGY
    Hitachi-LG GDR-3120L 79FK HAS AP25 TECHNOLOGY
    Hitachi-LG GDR-3120L 79FL HAS AP25 TECHNOLOGY

These Drives Were untouched By 2.0.13146.0 Update

Latest Firmware LT1.9

Toshiba-Samsung TS-H943 MS25 NO AP25 TECHNOLOGY - However some reports of refurb returns from MS have problems booting AP25 Titles
    Toshiba-Samsung TS-H943 MS28 NO AP25 TECHNOLOGY - However some reports of refurb returns from MS have problems booting AP25 Titles

These Drives Are Patched by Update 2.0.13146.0 but Revisions Stayed The Same. If you are on Dashboard Version Below 2.0.13146.0. then please either update or use LT1.1 for correct drive & revision

Latest Firmware LT1.9

Benq VAD6038 64930C HAS AP25 TECHNOLOGY
    Benq VAD6038 62430C HAS AP25 TECHNOLOGY

These Drives are FLASHED by Update 2.0.13146.0. New revision for this Dashboard Version and Above Is 04421C If you are on Dashboard Version Below 2.0.13146.0. then please either update or use LT1.1 for correct drive & revision

Latest Firmware LT+ 1.9

Lite-On DG-16D2S 74850C HAS AP25 TECHNOLOGY
    Lite-On DG-16D2S 83850C HAS AP25 TECHNOLOGY
    Lite-On DG-16D2S 83850C - Dated July 2009+ known as 83850V2 HAS AP25 TECHNOLOGY
    Lite-On DG-16D2S 94350C HAS AP25 TECHNOLOGY

These Drives are FLASHED by Update 2.0.13146.0. New revision for this Dashboard Version and Above Is 02251 If you are on Dashboard Version Below 2.0.13146.0. then please either update or use LT1.1 for correct drive & revision

These drive keys are best dumped now using the Probe V3 (PMT) method. The MRA hack will still work if you want a full dump of your drives firmware.

Latest Firmware LT+ 1.9

If anyone would like something added to this guide, please pm me.

Again all information within this guide is for information only, myself or Digital Kaos will not be held accountable for any bricked or banned Xbox 360's

Latest Apps & Firmware
    Latest FW for all drives Here
    Latest Jungleflasher Here

NOTE: READ THE NFO AS THIS FW WILL BE DEPENDANT ON DASHBOARD VERSION

ABGX : abgx360 - Download
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by cunny; 18th October, 2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Updated SLIM Drive Revisions To 6

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cunny For This Useful Post:

Chokito5 (1st May, 2013), stoneruk (3rd September, 2013)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

XBOX 360 S (Slim)

How to take apart the Slim

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgE06dqy8MM"]YouTube - HOW TO OPEN ( TAKE APART ) & DISASSEMBLE YOUR XBOX 360 SLIM ( 360 S )[/ame]

There are currently 7 DVD Drives in the Slims

Lite-On DG-16D4S 9504 HAS AP25 TECHNOLOGY CFW Released After 13146 UPDATE Drive becomes a 0272 LT1.9 Released Note : 2.0.13599.0 Update LOCKS THE SPI (Enables Write Protect)
    Lite-On DG-16D4S 0225 HAS AP25 TECHNOLOGY - This Drive is Write Protected The key can be dumped. LT1.9 Released
    Hitachi-LG DL10N 0500 Not allot is know about this drive yet
    Lite-On DG-16D4S 0401 HAS AP25 TECHNOLOGY - This Drive is Write Protected The key can be dumped. LT 1.9 Released
    Lite-On DG-16D4S 1701 HAS AP25 TECHNOLOGY - -The key can be dumped
    Liteon DG-16D4S 1214 - Not allot known as YET
    Liteon DG-16D5S A445 - Not allot known as YET

How To Flash Your Liteon 9504 Drive

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6wJvXMAK88"]YouTube - ***x202a;JungleFlasher 0.1.81 flashing a Lite-On 9504***x202c;‏[/ame]

Thanks To Ubergeek On TX Forums For Video TUT

To defeat the WP (write protect) on slim drives you need to know the following.

Which SPI You Have. Winbond or MCIX.

Winbond require the Kamikaze Hack

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLBV8nrl98c"]XBOX 360 Slim Kamikaze Winbond Unlock Using a Soldering Iron & Jungle Flasher 1.86 - YouTube[/ame]

MCIX Require the Sputnik Hack

http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69268

Looking for good video to follow...

Or try and get a TX replacement PCB

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0826frLxJg&feature=results_video&playnext =1&list=PL85AF479B4AFAFD38"]How to Flash Xbox360 0225 Drive LT 1.91 added - YouTube[/ame]

Those drives now with Write Protect enabled. There is a Replacemnt PCB or a Pro Modders kit available from Team Xecuter.

Latest Firmware Pack Here
    Latest Jungleflasher Here
    Last edited by cunny; 16th September, 2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: 2 Posts 1 - Phat 2 - Slim

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cunny For This Useful Post:

Chokito5 (1st May, 2013)

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hi i'm really new to the xbox 360 (softmod) so please bear with me,
    i've looked all over the internet and i've kind of get the jif of it, when flashing the drive can it be done form a laptop as it every seem to say "connect to pc by sata cable" as i only have a laptop and i do all my wii softmods and cable box etc, on it and is there step by step on how to do this.
    hope you can help,
    many thanks

i've just read the guide page 45-47 as i have hitachi and vista, so do just download jungleflasher and xbin and follow the the youtube guide?
    as to connect to the xbox drive can i use usb convert sata?
    Last edited by funkysy; 20th October, 2009 at 11:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Flashing Lite-On Drive

Hi Cunny - andthanks for all the useful information.

I have read the instructions for this drive in the Jungleflasher pdf manual, there is one part that concerns me. When it gets to the stage of erasing the drive, it says you should spoof the data to a different drive and test it first. Now i'm confused! Does this mean you need a 'spare' Lite-on drive to spoof to? what exactly do thay mean by this?

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

Ok. You dont have to 'spoof' the drive to flash it, its safer to do so, as you are making sure you have the correct osig information ie drive dey serial numbers ect.

You can spoof any drive to make the xbox has the original drive in. Just open your firmware in jungleflasher and spoof it over to new firmware.

I have never has a wrong key returned by using a spear (probe) so if your confident enough that the information is correct then feel free to erase and flash the drive.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hi cunny
    i been through pretty much everything, i think. just need to know if that usb to sata cable will do the job? if so i hit the shop now then try flashing my box today!!!!!!!!!!!
    many thanks

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by funkysy View Post
    hi cunny
    i been through pretty much everything, i think. just need to know if that usb to sata cable will do the job? if so i hit the shop now then try flashing my box today!!!!!!!!!!!
    many thanks
    Depends on type of drive your flashing, a the first lieon requires a probe of the R707 on the pcb to gain keys from the drive. So you will need a kit to connect it up unless you fancy soldering or making your own probe.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for getting back, i have hitachi 59 rom ver, i hope i don't need a kit!!!!!
    many thanks

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

no with the hitachi you need to put it into mode B, can either be done by slax or jungleflasher. Best bet is follow thr=e jungleflasher guide. All you need is a sata cable and a compatable chipset.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

chipset? is that what's connect to the usb aptator? if so then all i need is the software and usb to sata cable!!!
    thanks

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

No not that i am aware if, if ur on a laptop then you can get a pcmia via card and mains power connector.
    If desktop pc then you can get a pci via card.

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for your help
    once i have one, do i just run software and i should be done?

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hi thanks for your help, i got myself pcmcia card for the lappy and i've connected the sata to the box and i'm getting no via ports were found (i'm using jungle flasher) i've disable the driver then delete the viaraid file in system 32 then enable the driver again but i've getting the no ports found, it dedect the the via card but no hard drive found, so i try to use slax and it will not get into mode b, i manage to get it once but i had to turn the box off because the laptop i was using needed to update the .net frameware which i've install 2.0 and i'm running on xp.
    any ideas on how i can getting J/F to dedect the hhd (hitachi 59)?
    very gratefully for your help, it's driving me nuts now

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by funkysy View Post
    hi thanks for your help, i got myself pcmcia card for the lappy and i've connected the sata to the box and i'm getting no via ports were found (i'm using jungle flasher) i've disable the driver then delete the viaraid file in system 32 then enable the driver again but i've getting the no ports found, it dedect the the via card but no hard drive found, so i try to use slax and it will not get into mode b, i manage to get it once but i had to turn the box off because the laptop i was using needed to update the .net frameware which i've install 2.0 and i'm running on xp.
    any ideas on how i can getting J/F to dedect the hhd (hitachi 59)?
    very gratefully for your help, it's driving me nuts now
    Drivers and portio is needed for hitachi drives UNINSTAL VIA RAID DRIVERS FOR LITEON DRIVES TO ERASE UNDER JUNGLEFLASHER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello, i recently modded my 360 at Gmodz. It was a soft mod. I am just wondering how I copy or burn games? I rented a few games to try and copy them. I was also going to try and download some as well. What software should i use and what are the steps required to do it.

I already have a Dual Layer burner and i Know i need Verbatim DL DVDs.

Any help is appreciated

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1ZY2bL95Po]copy xbox 360 games[/ame] _ [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1ZY2bL95Po]how to copy xbox 360 games[/ame]

Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast