Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile yellow light of death

if you have the light i can tell you how to fix it. all you have to do is take the playstation apart down to the motherboard use a heat gun and heat up the gpu and the cpu for about ten minutes.what happens is the solder breaks between the processors and the board.caused from over heating.after you heat them up to melt the solder back in place dont move the board until cooled down then put the playstation back together and turn on. that will fix 95 % of the yellow lights of death

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike k View Post
    if you have the light i can tell you how to fix it. all you have to do is take the playstation apart down to the motherboard use a heat gun and heat up the gpu and the cpu for about ten minutes.what happens is the solder breaks between the processors and the board.caused from over heating.after you heat them up to melt the solder back in place dont move the board until cooled down then put the playstation back together and turn on. that will fix 95 % of the yellow lights of death
    i can supply a video of how to fix it also

its only a temp fix as alot of the ylod comes back you only get a couple that will last or you have too keep just fixing it
    dazza
    PS3 ID= thebeast-666

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeh mine broke again after a month, tried to do it again and broke my playstation so bought a new one. Think i burnt it too much.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

YLOD and RRoD are basically the same thing, as in same root cause.....basically the more wear and tear they receive the more likely it is that they will develop these faults and it's because there's too much power in too small a space and not enough coolant - that and the fact that they are now using "green" solder by law which is nowhere near as reliable as the proper solder that used to go into consoles.

Be interesting to see if the PS3 Slim develops the YLOD too or if drawing alot less power sorts it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    YLOD and RRoD are basically the same thing, as in same root cause.....basically the more wear and tear they receive the more likely it is that they will develop these faults and it's because there's too much power in too small a space and not enough coolant - that and the fact that they are now using "green" solder by law which is nowhere near as reliable as the proper solder that used to go into consoles.

Be interesting to see if the PS3 Slim develops the YLOD too or if drawing alot less power sorts it out.
    i agree m8 i think the new ps3 will have problems!!!

they havent even fixed the issue with the standard ps3 yet!!!!

be sure to watch watchdog on bbc (this thursday) its on about the ps3 and sony refuseing to fix them

told you i emailled them when it happened to mine ( not saying its cause of me )

see what happens

dazza
    PS3 ID= thebeast-666

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True, but the new slim's draw alot less power (and therefor heat) than the bigger ones....but it's also physically smaller than the bigger one's too - hence me wondering if the power consumption progression and the smaller space cancel each other out ? I hope not .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heating problem.. happened to me twice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hu can tell me how th hell we fix ps3 light of death

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

can i ask why does the ps3 make a beep noise after a while ive had this 2 times now dont know why its doing it has anyone else heard this noise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mes king View Post
    can i ask why does the ps3 make a beep noise after a while ive had this 2 times now dont know why its doing it has anyone else heard this noise.
    is that with the ylod????? if so its normal ' if not then its when you press and hold the button for so long , its like a reset button m8
    PS3 ID= thebeast-666

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no i can be playing the ps3 and after a while it makes a beep noise i dont think its related to the yellow light of death or i hope its not as my ps3 is working fine.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strange, I know the PS3 sometimes beeps 3 times when you shut the console down but that's because it was accessing the hard drive when you clicked shutdown. I can only assume that's the cause for the beeps, unless you have your PS3 in a stupid place where it gets ridiculously hot - it might be trying to tell you it's overheating perhaps ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well i have my ps3 on a desk with plenty of room around it so its not in a closed space so i dont know what it is.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is strange....I'd keep it under strict monitoring to try and determine whether it's a random occurance or not and pay attention when it does beep just to see if you can replicate it or not. And I'd think about getting an engineer on the case you might get the answer to this issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yellow Light of Death Fix

Quote Originally Posted by jordanhandyman View Post
    hu can tell me how th hell we fix ps3 light of death
    The actual problem is Lead-Free solder and high operating temperature of the Graphics chip on PS3.
    In response to watchdog, Sony stated that it used Infra-Red BGA rework station to repair the solder fault. This is the only safe method as heating the chip up with a heat gun is not safe.

The reflow temperature of the solder is 220c, and the failure temperature of the GPU is 260c

The only way you can safely reach the re flow temperature is to use Infra Red.

If you don't reach the re flow temperature, you are not going to get a full re flow and the repair will not last.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast