Register
    trickydicky

Default playing an ISO image from my PC

Hi,

I have a set of ISO images of CDs loaded on my PC. I have a dreambox with a nutrino image, and I can successfully connect to my PC and record and playback TV so my network is all set up ok, however I would like to also play these iso images.

Anyone know how I can do this? Ive tried selecting and playing them using movie player, but the screen goes blank. do I need a plug-in, or alternative methods.

Many thanks
    Tricky

Admin Assistant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Isn't "an ISO image is an archive file (a.k.a. disk image) of an optical disc using a conventional ISO format that is supported by many software vendors. ISO image files typically have a file extension of .ISO but Mac OS X ISO images often have the extension ".CDR". The name "ISO" is taken from the ISO 9660 file system used with CD-ROM media but the term ISO image can refer to any optical disc image, even a UDF image". [wikipedia]

Not sure how you are thinking you can play them back, unless I am a dumb twat and completely missed some trick here...
    Last edited by caveman_nige; 23rd July, 2008 at 12:27 PM.

trickydicky

Hmm. correct. an ISO image is simply a copy ofa DVD. However many players. Media players. VLC etc will simply read it and play it as a CD image. For example, I can start VLC and load up an ISO image of a DVD and it comes up with the menu. pres play, and away we go.

I'd like to see whether I can stream such a file to my Dreambox somehow...

Cheers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The Pli image has a movie player plugin which allows you to play a movie on your pc which than streams to the dreambox. Not sure if it play an iso file.

trickydicky

Cheers m8. I'm noticing that some images have much better support than others. Personally I quite like the Neutrino image, but it doesn't seem as well supported as others, and I cannot find a movie player for it. any ideas anyone, or can someone recommend an alternative image which looks good and has movie support.

Finally, just a thought. surely if plug-ins are all linux based, it shouldn't be too difficult to get a generic plug-in or one built for one type of image to work on another. (or amI being naive...

cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

VLC Media player should allow you to play the file. If not, mount it with magicdisc and open the video files in there.