Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy BMW e61 euro auto 525d 2004 - Recode issue with DDE

Hi guys,

So I made the mistake of offering to look at a relatives car to help them out, and now it has been sitting outside my house for nearly 6 months unable to be driven. :/ I'm an electronics guy but knew very little about coding at the time so had a bit of a learning curve.

He originally got the car from an auction and when it arrived it came complete with an old CAS unit + spare keys in the glove box. Although it did drive, it has recently been unable to pass a UK MOT because the bad coding throws up so many errors on the dash.

I eventually managed to fix the coding issue on the CAS, changing the VIN, FA etc but I could not get the car to sync and start. When I looked at the DDE I realised that it wasn't original, it had been swapped over with the CAS as a pair (without cloning). I'm pretty sure the original DDE was water damaged, but I don't have it so it must have been binned, leaving me trying to resurrect the car with little to go on.

So I have tried pretty much everything anyone has suggested in various other posts but I simply cannot get the car to start. I am using XPROG which I believe to be reading and writing correctly over BDM (I know everyone says it's rubbish but I had to personally pay for the tools to do this). People have issues due to latency but I'm pretty sure that it works ok. I should mention that I have also read the CAS with XPROG and I have been told that the bypass to read the EEPROM may have bricked it ... yay!

I have attempted to set the DDE back to virgin and reflash with ISTA/P ... many times. This appears to work fine but doesn't actually work. I can code as new, set the injectors, write the start code (from either CAS), and then sync but the car still doesn't start.

It always throws -

0x46D3 (18131) (0x48) DDE: Control unit, internal 4
    0x4A63 (19043) (0x48) DDE: EWS tampering
    0x4203 (16899) (0x48) DDE: Glow control unit

So clearly I must be doing something wrong.

The DDE is 0281012190 7798422

Please does anyone know how to actually put this back to virgin?? In summary - I filled the dump with FF after the software version line but this didn't work once recoded (as above).

Any ideas?? I'm at my wits end.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

J

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

My advice is to buy eng ecu, cas, and keys on ebay and just plug and drive, cheapest
    option right now