Register
    DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Default Automotive Relays different types

Hi Mates
    I want to learn bypass relays, but there is to many different types. I want to activate relay when ignition is ON ( +15 )
    look attachment,,for example relay type 5 ,, we need on this type of relay pin 30 and 87 to connect with a wire..
    can you plaese tell me how about other thypes of relay ?? which pins need I to connect ( jumper ) ???
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mrchip; 25th December, 2017 at 10:15 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mrchip For This Useful Post:

dt200 (28th December, 2017)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts

You usually need to feed 85 and 86 terminals to energize relay...... 30 is common ,87a normally closed and 87 normally open (closed when energized)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dtip View Post
    You usually need to feed 85 and 86 terminals to energize relay...... 30 is common ,87a normally closed and 87 normally open (closed when energized)
    Thanks mate
    you are right, an relay need usually +12V and ground to activate ,, I dont still not understand why we need to jumper from pin 30 to 87 ( relays with 4 pins ) if we want to bypass relay..
    and I m confused on relays with 5 pins and relay with nummers like 1,2,3,4,5
    that is why I started this topic,, ( 4 pins relay is easy, always connect pin 30 to 87 )...
    thanks for your interest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default 5 pin relays

Quote Originally Posted by mrchip View Post
    Thanks mate
    you are right, an relay need usually +12V and ground to activate ,, I dont still not understand why we need to jumper from pin 30 to 87 ( relays with 4 pins ) if we want to bypass relay..
    and I m confused on relays with 5 pins and relay with nummers like 1,2,3,4,5
    that is why I started this topic,, ( 4 pins relay is easy, always connect pin 30 to 87 )...
    thanks for your interest

You have normally open relays and dual contact relays also known as double throw or changeover, sometimes with resistors to minimize the load on the coil as in pic and to ensure a minimum trigger current.
    trigger voltage between pin 85 and 86 which closes pin 87 to pin 30 or whatever the rated amp is. With dual contact, 87b connects to 30 when open, and 87 connects to 30 when closed, disconnecting 87b. sometimes the open and closed max amps differ in dual contact relays. Pics from http://www.tridon.com.au/products/Tr...general-relays

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hiladies For This Useful Post:

matute62 (3rd January, 2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

very usefull, thanks