Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default CPU Overheating error on 2 different systems.

have a PC (PC 1) that has an i7 920. I was getting an overheating error. I have an almost identical PC setup with an i7 950 (PC 2) that died an wouldn't boot a few months ago. It seemed like the power supply had died because I was getting power to the PSU but none coming out.
    https://downloader.vip/minecraft-pocket-edition/ https://downloader.vip/counter-strike/ https://downloader.vip/google-play-services/

When PC 1 started giving me the overheating error and shutting down, I took the PSU, GPU, and SSD and installed them in PC 2. Now, PC 2 is giving me the same CPU overheating error that PC 1 was giving me. I don't get it. Could it be a coincidence that both CPUs are overheating due to the CPU coolers or whatever. Both PCs had been shut down for weeks.

What could be causing this CPU overheating error? Both PCs are behaving the same way. They boot up, run for a minute, then shut down. I completely cleaned out the PC and felt inside, including the cooler, and everything feels cooler than they ever have. What could cause this error on 2 seperate PCs?

TLDR: PC1 Overheating error. Took GPU, PSU, SSD and installed in near identical PC2 with near identical setup and separate components. Cleaned dust out thoroughly. Same CPU overheating error. Inside case and cooler feels cooler than ever to the touch. I use to feel crazy heat coming from them and they'd run fine. I'm using the CORSAIR Hydro Series H50. Both PCs had been unplugged and powered down for weeks.
    Last edited by jaisonsharma; 16th August, 2018 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Have you checked that the cooling fan for the cpu is working ? If not replace it immediately.
    Also check underneath the aluminium cooling fins that there is heat sink compound present. If it's hard and dry, clean the heat sink with surgical spirits. dry thoroughly and re-apply heat sink compound, then replace heat sink and clip back to it's mounting.
    Personally i would suspect both the fan and the heat sink compound as they are subjected to a lot of heat.

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

As AirShowNut said check compound.

Check replace PSU - Issues with power can cause weird issues
    Check that H50 Cooler is working i no they can fail over time. Can you hear the mini pump ? when the pc is on touch the H50 on the cpu side can you feel it humming vibrating ? Also is it seated properly to the cpu and tight ?
    Also reinstall a fresh copy of windows could be a software issue ?