DM800SE Power adaptor broken?
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default DM800SE Power adaptor broken?

Hi, I came home from work yesterday to find my DM800SE off, and with the power adaptor with a flickering green light, and I can't find the answer to this.

I tried changing the plug that goes to the power adaptor but got the same result, but I don't have a spare 12V 3A adaptor, hence I think I'll need to buy a new one of those to test as the only other adaptors I've got are 2A or lower.

That said, when the adaptor wasn't connected to the Dreambox, it had a solid green light, so does that mean the Dreambox is dead? I'm no good at identifying stuff inside, and it's about 5 years old, so if it is dead, then I've had a good run, but it is damn annoying.

Thanks.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    467 Posts

There are 2 possibilities. Either there's a short circuit (or low resistance) inside the Dreambox causing the power supply to cycle (hence the flickering green light), or the power supply itself has a fault where it can't supply the full current needed by the Dreambox. Without a multimeter it's hard to know which one has the problem.

Even though the green light remains solid when the power supply is disconnected from the box, that still doesn't show where the fault lies, as it may be that when the power supply needs to provide some current, that's when it fails.

It could be due to failing capacitors in the power supply, but most power supplies are glued shut, so it's impossible to look inside for bulging capacitors without breaking the case.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hadron For This Useful Post:

alantreet (4th November, 2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Hi, thanks for your reply. I had a look online and saw that while I was a bit sceptical about trying an adaptor which had a 2A rating, I read that the HD channels go to 1.3A max, so I've tried the 2A adaptor and it now works again. However, I think I'll buy a 12V 5A adaptor just to cover all bases.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alantreet For This Useful Post:

Hadron (5th November, 2018)