Seagate 2tb 3.5" hard drive sectors
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default Seagate 2tb 3.5" hard drive sectors

I checked a 2tb 3.5" hard drive with CrystalDiskInfo-result CAUTION regarding sectors (reallocated sectors count/current pending sector count/uncorrectable sector count/. Is there a simple utility I could use to repair it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

If the device firmware has detected any more than a small handful of bad sectors and reallocated those areas, I would be very hesitant about using that drive for anything as its only going too end in tears!
    Whilst you could technically rely on the firmware to continuously manage the damaged areas, data corruption in the immediate and longer term future is pretty inevitable.
    Usually when you start ending up with bad sectors on a modern drive it is because at sometime, for a number of reasons a head has crashed to a platter. This spits up a bunch of microscopic debris, and every time a head hits one of these particles it will likely crash again leading to an escalating cascade of damage that will get bad REAL quiickly, the tolerances between head and platter are minute. As in aside from data loss you will probably turn the drive on one day to find it completely dead as it will not be able too complete the init and calibration process.
    My 0.02c anyway drives are cheap, loosing data, not so much...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FordFanatic For This Useful Post:

mikk (12th June, 2019)