Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

10b.jpg10c.jpg10a.jpg10d.jpg

Hi Rapid

As you can see by pics the traffic decode is out.

With the Nissan pic 3 and 4 I read this by sight where I thought it was out and put code into A9 and cut key. Don't know how close I am as haven't tried it in vehicle yet.

Ordered a set of verniers today as you advised my old set are banjoed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jimmy07; 16th January, 2019 at 11:38 PM.

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

nissan looks more like 2113424423

you machine has decoded the renault key way out , your key of RPPRRP should not have operated the ignition at all , does a blank key operate the ignition as it may have no internals as no way should this key operate the ignition if that other key is the original as it clearly has an M or N cut in position 3. the image is poor and at an angle , but looks more like RRMSRP or RRNSRP , i would cut RRNSRP and try it , if no joy then try RRMSRP recutting same blade .

picking the ignition if intact will confirm true code , verniers will confirm , but no way should your key have operated that ignition

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

Jimmy07 (17th January, 2019)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Hi Rapid

I will check the ignition when I go back. That’s what I found weird usually it’s the door would open and not turn ignition if one or two cuts were out.

Yes A9 is way out I’ll calibrate again and check a fresh key for decode. I live in the land of potholes that definitely wouldn’t help A9 in back of the van 😬

Surely the A9 shouldn’t be out this much. I do a clamp and cutter calibration quite regularly

Info is much appreciated thank you 👍🏻
    Last edited by Jimmy07; 17th January, 2019 at 09:21 AM.

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

all machines will decode a heavily worn key out , nature of the beast , the machine expects to read true cuts within a slim tolerance , when the key is so worn it reads half a cut or so out then this will confuse the machine . this is why i trust the eye and the verniers more , i can compensate and calculate for a worn key a machine cannot in the same way the eye and the brain can .
    this is why this job is so good , machines can help alot but will never replace the eyes and the brain.
    its good practice to double check each decode by eye before blindly cutting , when even the eye is torn between different readings , popping a lishi in and picking and decoding the door or ignition gets it and saves burning keys or blades

to not at least read the M or N cut in position 3 is another thing entirely , i take it the key was properly fitted to machine in correct position as thats a big miss read in that position, if key was a fraction out on position then this would cause it to read on the shoulder instead of on the cut and would miss read , but to read an M oe N as a P is a big miss read , key not being sited correctly would cause such a miss read
    Last edited by rapidlocksmiths; 17th January, 2019 at 11:21 AM.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Hi Rapid

Yes key was positioned correctly always triple check as only takes a few minutes and saves burning blades. I also burn a cheap blade first and try door and ignition before cutting a remote key. I’ve new verniers ordered and looking forward to learning to read by eye as it’s another old school lockie skill rather than total reliance on machines.

I’m going to try a key now that I have the code for on A9 just to test if it needs calibration done. It’s a bit worrying that the traffic mis read is so badly out of syc 😬

Every job seems to throw another curve ball and your constantly updating machines, software or buying another piece of kit to resolve an issue. I have a shed I can fit 6 cars in with a mountain of tools but you never have the specific tool to problem solve a particular job so out comes the cheque book......again 😮

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

i doubt the issue is your machine , its more likely a badly worn key , if the 3rd position is an N cut then you can forgive it for reading this as a P on a worn key , its not so forgivable if an m cut . a machine cant compensate for excessive wear accurately , i suspect all machines would have struggled , thus where even on spares lishi can take the risk out of it by reading a true code , and the eye and brain will always be more reliable than the machine on a worn key .

the old skills are still needed today , not as often as once were but when needed they can be the difference between getting paid or not .

do you have instacode to look up the true measurements ?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

Jimmy07 (17th January, 2019)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Hi Rapid

Thanks for continued advice !

Just put new cutter in A9 other cutter will do as a spare. Calibrated clamp, decode probe and cutter. Decoded a known Vauxhall Vivario key massive fail. Went into Renault traffic decoded perfect. This function was working last week with Vauxhall.

Went back into Vauxhall menu no car models just numbers ?

Went into Opel shows car models but decode massive fail again.

Looks like a software problem with Vauxhall/Opel

Yes have instacode just starting to study up on it so very green 😬

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

well on your traffic key , measure the original key , then look at the measurements on instacode to decode , very simple process . but as a worn key i suspect it wont read exact .

on your machine id talk to the supplier and possibly update it again , ensure calibration is completed , from memory its sometimes necessary to tug the cariage back by hand , there are videos of this on there facebook group , plus if in that group you can talk direct to the uk support , peter , put up a video of your issue and they usually advise very quickly.

i use silca viper and keyline ninja mostly as far better and robust accurate machines , my A6 gathers dust these days

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Hi Rapid

Thanks for comment.

Yes I suspect there’s a glitch in software I’ve contacted Lockdecoders for advice.

I hope an update will rectify the problem.

The viper and ninja seem to be the business but to justify buying one of these machines the rates here would need to double.

The race to the bottom has arrived guy on FB advertising “ most keys” for £50
    How the hell he’s doing it is beyond me

I’ll get studying instacode over the coming weeks. It’s been on my laptop for a while now but just haven’t had a proper chance. Did watch tutorials on it a while back and seen a feature for broken keys where you can use a part code to generate the possibilities of remaining code. Might be useful for worn keys if your half certain of the cuts that aren’t worn

There’s so much to learn so trying to maintain a balance of doing jobs, studying and learning tools.........

It’s full on at the start and I’m the sort that will knuckle down and the more I learn the more I need to learn 😬🤔
    Last edited by Jimmy07; 17th January, 2019 at 05:31 PM.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Race to the bottom, you say?

"i have a bmw 116i 2006, golf tdi mk5 2004, vauxhall vectra. the doors are unlocked except on the golf but the window is open.

I bought the 3 cars in a auction, they was repossessions.

and none come with keys so i need them cut and programmed."

What is the quote for all three that he claims to have been given and which he'll not pay more than?

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PixelsFixed View Post
    What is the quote for all three that he claims to have been given and which he'll not pay more than?
    50quid per car? or whole set of cars...

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

i know a few good locksmiths in NI , all moan about the rates , all keys lost jobs using kd remotes between £45 and £65 , its a race that when won everyone has lost. you can guarantee that those charging such rates are not paying taxes , not insured and not interested in the future . maybe time hmrc clamped down on them maybe with a little help.

many will have read online and decided the job was easy , bought some china clones and some china keys and believe they will make their fortune , others are sold the dream and trained by our suppliers with promises of an untapped market and roads paved with gold , others are just after a quick buck , the one constant is their numbers grow every year .
    Last edited by rapidlocksmiths; 18th January, 2019 at 12:05 AM.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Hi Rapid

It’s a real shame when the beer boys go to work then come home and do a key or two in the evening or on a Saturday. They take all the straight forward work with eBay clones. Hopefully like you say it’s just a matter of time before something gives. Another problem is it gives the rest of the decent lockies a bad name and forces customers to go to the stealerships out of fear that their car may get bagged

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Well, I quoted him £220 for two keys for the BMW, including travel.

He says he has someone who'll do all three for £200.

Three different cars. All keys lost. £200.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PixelsFixed View Post
    Well, I quoted him £220 for two keys for the BMW, including travel.

He says he has someone who'll do all three for £200.

Three different cars. All keys lost. £200.
    undercut them and say you will do it for free, thats what i say to them on the phone haha, or when you ring back it will be double for the repair after they f**k up
    If i helped please press the thanks button

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast