Register

Threaded View

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default 2009 Ford Mustang 6-Gauge Instrument Cluster, bin help

On my workbench is a 2009 Ford Mustang 6-Gauge (4.0L V6 coupe) Instrument Cluster, part number #7R33-10849-EC that had 61K miles. Unfortunately it has a permanent Odometer Data Error.

Both the odometer and trip meter display "Error" instead of mileage, but everything else is working fine. The cluster's self test reports DTC A143 error which is a Odometer NVM Memory Failure.

BTW, online searches found that this Mustang cluster was used during the 2005-2009 model years. But in case it matters this is a 2009 6-gauge.

I have surface mount rework tools (including hot air) and a commercial grade chip burner than can write any memory device. So my plan is to remove the cluster's EEPROM and replace it with a new one.

Digging through the Dashboard forum I read that the memory chip is a 24C32 EEPROM. But that seems odd because I didn't find it on the cluster's PCB. The only 8-pin chip I found to be a possible candidate is house-marked 014, CCAC, 45481. But after reverse-engineering its pad traces the pinout does not match any memory chip I've ever seen. So I have a gut feeling that an external memory chip isn't used in this design. That is to say, perhaps it uses the internal flash memory inside the MC9S12DJ128 CPU.

So long story short, I need a valid hex / bin file for the EEPROM and any details to where this data is stored. At this point the mileage is not important; I just need a data image. Assuming there's a common EEPROM on the board, I will replace it and see if the chip replacement solves the odometer / trip meter data error problem.

- Thomas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ThomasBlue; 3rd February, 2019 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Added Photo of PCB