Register

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Range Rover Sport 2008 key won't turn on ignition, Locked

Hi Guys
    Range Rover Sport 2008 key won't turn on ignition and locking problem
    key fob is not working as well, it does not open or close doors.

when you put key on ignition first time you can start car and all seems working, but when you remove key, next time key can not open ignition, its locked, if you dont remove key from ignition it can start as many times as you wont, it will not get locked, unless you remove it
    but if you remove it then
    To on ignition and run engine , need again to disconnect battery and after that car starts

Scanner is givging B1B0187 fault transponder key

Please guys advise need who has similiar problem encoutered before,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

US spec Sports(L320) didn't have a locking steering column or ignition cylinder, so this is based on a Range Rover(L322), which did, however this sounds like the issue you're having. The key only needs to be read the one time to unlock the cylinder, and it will stay unlocked until removed.

On the L322, there were issues with the steering column locks, that would cause the same thing. Generally on those, the column would stay unlocked, and only allow one key authorization until the EWS was reset, or power cycled. Check if you can turn the steering wheel with the key out before going any further, you should not be able to if it has a locking column. If that is working properly, and with the fault you're seeing, you may just be looking at a bad key, but that fault will store randomly as well. The ignition code operation and the remote operation are separate, so you might be looking at a failed key(remote) and also an issue with the steering column lock.
    Last edited by roverguy7; 16th April, 2019 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for your advise, This idea really didnt come to my mind, I will do it,
    by the way there is another L322 range rover 2007 model which has no like this function, I made some experiment with it, removed steering column ecu, and even if you remove i could turn ignition and start the car, with or without steering column ecu no differnece of course I didnt drive it yet, it has a transmission issue,

And I placed that removed steering column ecu to mine to check if its a steering column issue, So nothing changed, same its still locking ignition...

Now I have a doubt , may be the steering column I removed is not working... or another thing is this car stock 3 years without driving,
    Could it cause to lose transponder key if car stock 3 years? I have changed battery of key by the wa

I will do more experiment, and update

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have tested again,
    So I tried to turn the steering wheel with the key out, Its have not got locked, this time scanner was connected and were also observing Steering Column ECU real time data, It shows immo is recognising a key when I put or remove into ignition switch,
    It means key is recognised with immo, and Immo might be allowing to open ignition, but due to faulty Steering Column ECU. next time not letting to open ignition again

Im attaching a Sterring Column ECU, photos, inside of that seems have a relay and same time it sends signal of position of steering wheel locked or unlocked,
    Iam guess this part similiar to relay and inner there have a motor, seems need to check them both,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, on US spec L322, the locking steering column was removed mid-year 2007, I do not know of other markets, but here general rule is that if it has the BMW style key it is locking, if it has the flip key it is not(not 100%, there were some that didn't follow this, and replacement keys could be either) So the L322 column you tested with may not have a locking column/ignition, you can test the ignition lock, if the key will turn with the battery disconnected, it does not have the locking column/ignition.

Yes, the xray image you have there is from a thread I was part of on another forum, it is the latching solenoid for the locking column, what keeps it unlocked, and the usual failure point, a magnet on the shaft engages 2 Hall Effect sensors in the body. Sometimes you can clean it and lubricate it and it will start working again, sometimes the magnets inside fail/break, and sometimes it fails electrically. Your failure sounds like a column issue, however, again, I am not familiar with L320s that have an electric locking column, so there might be something different.