Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Volvo V50 CEM read with XPROG

Bit of help needed...

I need to read EEPROM and Flash from both MCU's in 2004 Volvo V50 CEM (In my case they are 9S12DG256B and 9S12DT128). I've read the EEPROM from both with CarProg and A10 adapter from 4 pins on board. But, off course with CarProg i can do only that.

However i came across site that says i can read them from same point on board with Xprog. Finally, iv'e got Xprog (clone) and before i connect to the board i can see that with Xprog you can't select specific MCU just the family and Xprog automatically recognize it and reads it (flash or eeprom as you select).

Now my question is will Xprog find only one MCU from this point on board or both and do i need to find another point. As i see it on my board there is two same points on board. One from i've read it with carprog and it's the same point found in picture from website. And another same five-point infront of another MCU. In picture i can see that, if i've got the pins right first point is indeed BKGD and it would be much easier to read it from that point as i don't have good solder skills or hot air solder.

This is picture from instruction website as stated as xprog connection:

Instructions.jpg

This is CarProg connection of my board where i successfully read both EEPROMs

CarProg connection.jpg

And if get this right this is another possible connection infront of another chip, and it should be OK.

Possible connection.jpg

Please correct me if i'm wrong. I'm very new at this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Ok. No one answered me so i took a shot in the dark...

Results are as follows for now:

1. CarProg - with A10 adapter - Four wires (BKGD, GND, RESET and Vdd) - Reading of both EEPROMs successful - You just need to select appropriate MCU and it's OK. as in second picture form previous post

2. Xprog - Four wires (BKGD - B3, GND - GND, Vdd - Vcc, RESET - B5) without bdm adapter, selected 9s12 unsecured - Nothin - BDM communication error - as in first picture from previous post

3. Xprog - 7 wires with BDM adapter (BKGD, GND, Vdd, GND, GND and EXTAL twisted together and XCLKS) 9s12 secured - as in pictures - Reading both EEPROM and FLASH successful from one MCU. Two GND's are used, one is from bottom left on bdm adapter and second is accros XTAL pin. That second one after it's twisted with EXTAL wire for like 12cm ends in same point as first GND on board - on picture pin "2"

Result.jpg

Now problem is i can read only right one. When i move XTAL an XCLKS on left one Xprog just hangs on "bypass security" If i put all pins on left side of the left chip (mirrored pins) same happens. I'm really new at this and only thing i didn't try is to lift XTAL pin of left chip as mentioned in Xprog diagrams. Now, i don't own hot air solder so it's difficult for me to do it. My question is if i remove resistor on board where is XTAL connection wouldn't be the same as i would lift pin on chip? I think it's fairly easier to do this.
    Last edited by thugsoul; 29th June, 2019 at 09:05 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thugsoul For This Useful Post:

fezo500 (12th December, 2020), mexanico1971 (30th June, 2019)

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

left proccesor is without securety so you must chose unsecured

5. The Following User Says Thank You to oskars268 For This Useful Post:

thugsoul (30th June, 2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Never thought of that. So 4 wires only. And connections on board left of them? I see that first from top to bottom is BKGD but i cant trace for sure others. Becuase i'm pretty sure i've tried it from four pioints between them and with unsecured option.
    Last edited by thugsoul; 30th June, 2019 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Alright

I've managed to read both EEPROMs and flash from both MCU's

Turns out both MCU's are indeed secured, contrary to oskar268 suggestion. I did it right the first time, just that my soldering skills are nonexistent to be fair. Just took another shot after failed attempt to read it unsecured with 4 wires without BDM adapter.

So to help others, just follow XProg attached wiring diagram -> Device -> Type - MCU/MPU -> Subtype - Freescale HC(S)12-secured -> Device - MC9S12 - EEPROM/FLASH - secured
    On connection diagram in this case is 112-PIN LQFP (except MC9S12H256) - on many tutorials there were attached diagrams for 80-PIN and other misleading infos.
    Use BDM adapter and from it connect like in the picture. From every MCU there are mirrored connections just left from it and under it.

Result.jpg

Now... question remains. Is it safe to write on this MCU's with XProg clone?

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thugsoul For This Useful Post:

datapage (20th June, 2023), Edwarth (23rd June, 2020), erikanperkan (9th March, 2020), faze (31st March, 2022), fezo500 (12th December, 2020), Pirate08 (17th January, 2022)

Top Poster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

thanks for info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

hi can you post flash please? Thanks
    Hit like and thanks if I've helped you!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Here you are
    EEProm from both MCUs and Flash.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can I have the picture of carprog diagram please

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts

Both MCU's are with out lock Bit, lock bit is FE, means not secured, 0x00FBF0F
    Last edited by ricked; 17th October, 2021 at 03:38 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ricked For This Useful Post:

PierreTheron (4th October, 2022)