Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Tools and hardware needed?

Hi guys,

My name is Gino and i have more than 15 years experience in IT field starting from development of backend and frontend solutions to mobile applications and devops operations.
    For the last years my friends who own garages come to me with different problems related to the automotive field and from what I have encountered so far the problems related to hardware and software are quite challenging and i can say that i love challenges.
    Now I have decided to take seriously as a secondary job and combine my IT experience with this field.
    I have documented myself on many software and hardware tools but as a beginner I would appreciate the help from the experienced ones.
    I am not interested in the mechanical part nor the problems that have a simple solution. I am interested in moving to the most advanced and challenging ones and here i would like to hear from you guys some advices.

Do not worry, I learn very quickly and I would like to come back soon offering solutions and help.

Since I take seriously as a secondary job I will need tools and software, Which are the ones that u must have? I am willing to invest since I will recover the investment in time.
    To which segment should I go? ECU remap? My friends that they own garages they ask me for DPF /EGR off (Remapping/Tunning/Chipping) stuff like that.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

P.S. I could not find a section on forum to answer my questions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EngineGen View Post
    Good day, You need a set of flashers and a multi-brand scanner. By order of equipment and firmware, you can contact me. Affordable prices and fast execution
    Thanks four your reply, check your PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

how can you go straight to the big nasty stuff if you dont know how an engine abs module or signal acquisition modules work? its a mine field of tools out there good money can be made if you can get your head around remapping, i can do the work but i cant do the mathematics behind the remap coding

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that's the point... we would all like to make easy money without putting too much effort but from my own experience I learned to be patient and to approach the most difficult tasks differently.
    Why choose the simple things that most can do?
    I have the courage to test my level of knowledge and I assure everyone that I am not afraid to fight with a few bits of code that was written by humans.
    I have seen in my life projects where after the introduction I had to learn new programming languages ​​shortly. Imagine yourself from a simple "hello world" written in any programming language to hardware like biometric devices, facial recognition patterns algorithms, machine learning algorithms, data analysis etc.... not mention connection protocols and data manipulation.
    Behind each and any device or piece of code there are some logical functions like if, else, foreach....written by HUMANS, For me that's not the hard part, the hard one is to not waste money on useless tools like some of you already did it.
    Since no one answered i guess it's a well kept SECRET.
    Best of all

P.S. Someone from china once told me: " send me a piece and tell me how many copies you want" i'll never forgot that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

kess for reading ecu on vehicle ktag,car prog, xtag for on bench work then you will need a code reader to read fault codes before and after work.. pm me if you need more specific info on the subject, no secrets here buddy we all wanna learn and get rich

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

I m new in this field too ,i started 1.5 year ago with a chinese opcom ,then i got GM MDI,LEXIA,PP2000,ISTA,INPA,VCDS,ODIS,FVDI,CARPROG, KTAG,KESS,MPPS,GALETTO,ZEDBULL,XPROG,ORANGE5 and so on.The key is to spend a lot of time reading new stuff and trying to get the right infos.Sometimes you can ~~~~ up ecus ,modules and you have to pay for it.Is a challenging field but i like it so far.From my point of view start with some basic diagnostic software ( LAUNCH X431) ,get some bench programmers for reading MCUS and EEP and something for ecu reprogramming ( chinese KESS and KTAG) .This forum brought me huge amount of knowleage and there are a lot of nice guys over here whom i have to thank for everything .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 12manux For This Useful Post:

darkpenguin05 (28th February, 2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thx for your reply Manux. I allready bought kess, ktag, carprog, iprog plus (good one but not reccomend, poor info ) bdm frame with adapters and xtool ps 90. So far all good, played with success on jobs like odometer corection, dpf/egr off, tunned some ecus stage 1, aibarg crash clear. Not tested adding keys or any changes to immo. Also bought a lot of toys for bench working like JBC soldering station (hi end equipment but not needed) lab power supply, stereoscope, digital microscope. All toys costed me around 5k so far and got like 500 back, in terms of profit does not worth it but i don’t have any reputation in this field and i do jobs only for few friends of mine that they own garrages. It’s challenging, it’s fun, it does worth as a second job. I wrote few lines of code to do automated stuff and that’s the funny part. As soon as will have more time for that i’ll come back to share. Best regards guys!

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts

Hi
    Have you been able to reset the airbag ecu modules with the clip? Instead of desoldering them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did 4-5 pieces only, all of them with carprog. Did not succeded without desolder them. Did not tested iprog plus yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

I started many years ago with only diagnostic tools, but in a time when always popping up new problems for coding, reading flashes, eeproms, remaps etc, its always need for buying new tools. So i also now having full boxes of equipment that is needed for different types of vehicles and different types of modules. I cant even remember all the tools i have now, but among them are Autocom, Opcom and Tech2, VCDS, Lexia, Inpa, Elm, Carprog, Kess and Ktag, MPPS, Galletto, Autel MaxiSys, Zedbull, Keyline 884 key cloning etc... So Remap isnt something that you will buy tools and start doing it, coz it needs many years of experience and good knowledge of how things works and lots and lots of reading before even starting to mess with ECUs. From all that you write about few jobs that you did, i really have to say that you been lucky and not burned anything , coz trust me it will be time when odo get burned if not handled properly or ECUs flashes blocked coz of wrong checksums etc. Wish you best and keep on good spirit, just one step at the time

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MNenad View Post
    I started many years ago with only diagnostic tools, but in a time when always popping up new problems for coding, reading flashes, eeproms, remaps etc, its always need for buying new tools. So i also now having full boxes of equipment that is needed for different types of vehicles and different types of modules. I cant even remember all the tools i have now, but among them are Autocom, Opcom and Tech2, VCDS, Lexia, Inpa, Elm, Carprog, Kess and Ktag, MPPS, Galletto, Autel MaxiSys, Zedbull, Keyline 884 key cloning etc... So Remap isnt something that you will buy tools and start doing it, coz it needs many years of experience and good knowledge of how things works and lots and lots of reading before even starting to mess with ECUs. From all that you write about few jobs that you did, i really have to say that you been lucky and not burned anything , coz trust me it will be time when odo get burned if not handled properly or ECUs flashes blocked coz of wrong checksums etc. Wish you best and keep on good spirit, just one step at the time

thanks for taking the time to share your experience, would you be so kind as to guide the newbies. What would you advise to read to get a good understanding of ecu remap