2004 Monte Carlo /Impala BCM repair /relearn
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 2004 Monte Carlo /Impala BCM repair /relearn

FOT497F.jpgI am trying to help a friend with bcm unit.

2004 Chevy Monte Carlo SS which shares the same bcm as 2000-2005 impala Iirc.

He had several issues with the car which I addressed.. But the BCM was also faulty.

I attempted to repair his original BCM.. But I couldn't find any visual issues with it.. So I resoldered his connections but it did not fix his issue.

So he had sourced a used one. Which I did the security key relearn process and got the vehicle to start and run and the other issues were fixed.

*ISSUES*
    His air bags, security, fog lights and radio (locked) do not work with replacement BCM.

However.. I know it is typically required to get it programmed by tech2 or at dealer. But I'd like to save him some money.. And of course.. I hate when I can't figure out a "work-around".

I know there is a way around it.. With either using my obdlink mx+.. Or a more barbaric approach is to just swap the eprom from original BCM to his new one.

I do enjoy doing circuit repairs as a hobby etc.. I have tried to research which component on the BCM board stores the VIN etc.. Or if it is multiple components.

I looked up the larger microprocessor and learned that it does have a programmable memory.. However.. Some of the smaller items.. I believe may also store memory.

I see alot of information on mileage adjustments and the chip used for that.. But this vehicle mileage is stored in the cluster itself.. Not the BCM.

does anyone have any suggestions on which components I could swap over to the replacement BCM.. So that (hopefully) I could get his car functioning 100% like it should.. Without having to go to dealer or source a tech2?

He is okay with paying the dealer for programming.. But I'm sure like most of you.. When you can't figure something out.. It drives you nuts.

Basically.. I want to conquer this.. Because I know it's possible ... Any help would be appreciated!!
    Last edited by Shawn2jz; 15th August, 2019 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Added pic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FOT497F.jpg hopefully this pic isn't too downgraded!