Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Replace Sky Q Lnb

I have recently finished my contract with Sky and I want to start using freesat.I think I should be able to replace the Lnb myself but would be grateful for any advice on what to buy and any tips.The dish was a new install last feb and is I think a mesh mini dish with a spirit level

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Jonathan,

Funny you ask this question as I had my Sky Q recently installed. This was good until I found out that the new LNB used for the Sky Q installation did not allow the old coaxial cable running from my Sky HD box and Freesat to be connected to the new LNB.

In order to have both Sky Q and your Freesat to work, I ordered a Hybrid Sky LNB online and attached it yesterday. The LNB has 6 ports. 2 for Sky Q coaxial connection and the remaining 4 for any coaxial connection on older HD and Freesat boxes. Installation was a doddle. All you need is a philips screwdriver. Undo the screw carefully and make sure you dont unscrew it fully as the screw could fall out and that happening high up would not be ideal. One the screw is loose enough to loosen the current LNB used on your dish, gently pull it out of position. The main point of note here is to make sure the actual pole on the dish is not moved about. This is obviously where the position needs to stay fixed so your satellite signal is at its strongest. Once the old LNB is removed, pop the new LNB in the same way and screw it back together fairly tight so there is no LNB movement. And that is it really. I did mine in 5 minutes if that.

My advice would be to buy a Hybrid LNB as you would still be able to use Sky Q for maybe if you decide to resume your contract and at the same time have 4 more connections for older Sky HD boxes and the Freesat. The Hybrid LNB is about £25-£30 online. So google away and good luck mate. Do let us know how you get on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for reply botixxx.I have successfully switched lnb and all my freesat is working.I found it a bit fiddly as I had to replace clamp as well cause shy have changed the sizes.I decided to go with normal quad lnb cause I figured in the unlikely event I went back to shy they could put me a new one in anyway!