Register

Thread: CCTV wiring

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default CCTV wiring

Hi all,
    Hoping someone can shed some light on this.
    I wanted to install a CCTV camera at home and in order to pass the cable down a narrow conduit I cut the cable and joined the 3 wires together again as in the photo. The wires are soldered together, the connector blocks are just to keep them separated. However the camera doesn’t give me a picture. I know there is power going to the camera as the infra ref lights on the camera glow in the dark. The red wire carries the power supply and the yellow wire is for video. The copper wire was braided around the yellow wire.
    Any help would be appreciated. The cameras are made by Fleureon.
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to yermansam For This Useful Post:

rosemartine (11th September, 2019)

V.I.P. Member
    Meatheadshire (Between London and Scotland)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,769 Posts

Sounds like low voltage, can you run another twin core cable to dominate voltage drop

If you can temporarily install camera at this end to check it works still.

whilst you at it, if possible two cameras one high up to see entry/exit of shitting cats and another at 6’ high to get better facial of any shitting cats.

its not an issue 6’ camera getting ripped off, as you will see what color fur the animal in question has

might be affected by you low number of posts and thanks

Was Banned For Being Certifiably Insane and Stupid

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Meat-Head For This Useful Post:

yermansam (25th August, 2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi! It might also come from the copper wire which provides noise shielding to the video signal, that's why it is braided around your yellow wire. I don't think it is the main reason for your fault but could be a contributing factor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    Hi! It might also come from the copper wire which provides noise shielding to the video signal, that's why it is braided around your yellow wire. I don't think it is the main reason for your fault but could be a contributing factor.

Good tip! I thought about that too. Have you also thought of tin lead resin ratio.
    this may sometimes decrease the video quality
    "every advantage has its disadvantage"
    Johan Cruijff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, I've never encountered wired cameras, I think it's very difficult. And in general, a lot of wires around the house do not look very aesthetically pleasing, but if there is an opportunity to hide them, then this is of course cool. I have Ajax installed at home and there are no wires. This wireless security system is just a godsend, no need to bother with where to hide the wires. Especially when there are small children at home and a dog that constantly needs to gnaw these wires. We have already suffered so much with the Internet that we connected, there were a lot of wires.
    Last edited by Cermit; 7th May, 2021 at 04:07 PM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    460 Posts

What I would do is remove the extension and check the camera is still working after the tinkering.

Check and report.

Also use an ohmeter to check the connectors
    Last edited by fuzz1; 10th May, 2021 at 06:48 PM.