Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Rover MEMS ECU question

All,
    I'm completely new to the whole rover ECU mems thing and wanted to get a basic question cleared up.

I'm helping sort out a car with MKC104080 acting up and managed to source an MKC10115E on the cheap. The car is a 1996 Morgan plus 4 with the Rover T16 (natrurally aspirated) engine. I know of another plus4 with the T16 engine that is running the MKC10115E (I don't have access to that car but i know that model is working fine for it).

The question i have is, considering the ECU is not being used on the rover cars , is the reason both MKC models seem to work on the same engine that the use case only needs the basic functions of the mems?
    If so, can I expect that the new ecu would be a straight swap (it's brand new in box so i'm really looking to see if i have to worry about coding/immo off although i believe those models are immo off already ... i think/hope)

Your help and guidance is , as always, much appreciated

-M
    Last edited by QCcanuck; 2nd September, 2019 at 12:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

any chance one of the pros can help this poor soul get some clarity on this subject ?
    Many thanks
    M.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts

I guess the part numbers are different because the tuning is different? The tuning of these ECU's is not programmable via OBD.

Anyway, once a MEMS ECU is programmed to an immobilizer, it can be programmed to a different immobilizer but it cannot be disabled anymore with diagnostic equipment. You will need to virginize the MEMS and program it "Non-Robust" (which just means immo off) or just find an eeprom dump with immo off.
    If you buy a brand new (or virgin) MEMS ECU, it first needs to be programmed in "Non-Robust" mode in order to make it start. It can always be programmed to any car with an immobilizer, just not back to "Non-Robust" which is just immo off.

If you have a MEMS ECU with non-robust programming, it will not start if it detects an immobilizer signal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tomvleeuwen For This Useful Post:

QCcanuck (4th September, 2019)