Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Default VAG HU162 blades

Trying to get my head around these blades.

If I get an MQB fob with HU66 can I fit a HU162 to the fob and will it fit ?

When there is side cuts does this just mean a track down both sides of the key blank like Peugeot HU83 or are there actual cuts on the sides of the blades ?

Is the cutter 1mm or 1.5 mm ?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks 👍🏻

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    525 Posts

Also cut on the sides.
    So you must decode the side as well.

Purchase a lot of spear key blades.
    I think you will use a couple, trying and error.
    When doing the sidecuts.

And you need this in your machine. But I guess you already have updated this. Since it is over two years since the updates was released.

Firmware Version : 7.83
    Software Version : 7.76

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Weasel3 For This Useful Post:

Jimmy07 (2nd November, 2019)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Thanks Weasel probably use a couple of hundred blades and go through twenty Lishi picks 😂

Is this update for A9 ?

Take it need a jaw/adaptor for these ?

Do the spearheaded keys fit the HU66 MQB keys ?
    Last edited by Jimmy07; 2nd November, 2019 at 10:53 PM.

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,273 Posts

side cuts is a little misleading though the term adopted for these , most laser track keys have cuts just on the 2 wide faces of the key blade , hu162 also has cuts on the smaller narrow face of key blade on both sides as well, the lock configuration explains why , you have 6 wafers that are conventional wafers sitting upright in the lock , the rest of the wafers are sideways mounted .

10 cut lock has 4 side mounted wafers and 6 conventional wafers , the side mounted wafers will be in position 1 and 2 on one side and position 3 and 4 on opposite side , the 6 conventional wafers are in positions 5 to 10 , no ignitions to worry about as the 10 cut lock is only used in prox keys and key only fully inserts 1 way up , so 4 cuts on the narrow faces of the key .

9 cut lock is a reverse profile of the 10 cut lock , still has 6 conventionaly mounted wafers and 3 side mounted wafers , 1 on one narrow face and 2 on the opposite narrow face in positions 1 to 3 and conventionaly mounted wafers sit in positions 4 to 9 . the ignition is slightly different as doesnt use any side cuts/wafers , instead the ignition has 9 conventional wafers thus why there is a seperate ignition tool for this lock.

8 cut uses no side mounted wafers though does have a profile cut out of both narrow face sides as a 1 cut in each position but no side wafers interact with this as none in lock , instead being 8 conventional wafers . despite their being a grid on the tool decoding this lock is not straight forward , this is due to the lock having 2 randomly placed inverted wafers in each lock , so these 2 positions miss read as need a 4 lifter tool , but a 4 lifter tool cant be made as the blade area is too narrow to fit 4 lifters. you could plot the position of the inverted wafers with a scope and reverse the reading in those 2 positions to decode the lock . also the tool is made with just 4 heights and its claimed this lock uses 5 heights however ive only had lock sets with 4 heights to date but all are early 1st generation lock sets .

despite the 10 cut key only being used on prox models with no ignition , they have left their options open , as both the 9 cut key and the 10 cut key have conventional cuts in the side wafer positions , in the 10 cut lock as no ignitions these serve no purpose , though in the 9 cut lock they do as the 9 cut lock has 9 conventional wafers in the ignition and no side cuts .

i have ninja laser for these that uses a 1.5mm cutter and dedicated V clamp , decodes and cuts accurately .

very easy to pick once you get your head around the side cuts , and adapt the rules as quite often you dont get a binding wafer . did a 2018 passat last night at 11pm , 10 cut with 4 side cuts keys locked in boot , took 90 seconds to pick open and another 10 minutes to get his back seats down and clear the boot enough to get to the keys .

well thought out lock , nice engineering , but can see issues when they get siezed , but a nice design of lock that broke with convention a little .

well worth the time to strip a few of these down and get a good understanding of the lock and its design and to read wafers .
    Last edited by rapidlocksmiths; 3rd November, 2019 at 12:30 AM.

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

amigokola (3rd November, 2019), castin (4th November, 2019), conbee70 (6th November, 2019), honda1200 (17th December, 2019), Jimmy07 (3rd November, 2019), jodge (3rd November, 2019), key4man (11th May, 2020), M3L3R (29th May, 2020), PocketHero (3rd November, 2019), TERMINATOR1000 (11th May, 2020), u.s (3rd November, 2019), Weasel3 (3rd November, 2019)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Thanks Rapid good description of how these locks are constructed 👍🏻

I’ll hunt the scrap yards for a lock or 2 then get the head down.

So far the only ones I’ve come across are the 8 cut with no side cuts. Have a tracer to do these and have ordered a few 1.5mm cutters. At least if I get geared for these it will get me started until I crack the other ones.

Turned a job down last week where a guy got a VW remote key from the dealership but they couldn’t cut the blade so couldn’t program the key !

Who is the best supplier for the 8 & 9 cut blades ?

Will these blades fit in MQB fob if HU66 blade removed or can they be altered to fit ?
    Last edited by Jimmy07; 3rd November, 2019 at 02:08 AM.

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,273 Posts

JMA do a blade that is supposed to retro fit , these can be bought from 3d when they have stock , nw keys , silca also do a blade as well and these can be bought from aldridge security and most silca stockists

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

Jimmy07 (3rd November, 2019)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Thanks Rapid.
    Will get some bought and test then head down get these locks cracked 😰

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,273 Posts

most blades come in with no side cut profile cut onto them , this is so you can use the 1 blade for all 3 locks , as 8 and 9 use 1 profile and the 10 cut uses a reverse profile , so you must cut the profile onto the blade for the 8 cut too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

Jimmy07 (3rd November, 2019)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Shit can’t do side cuts as tracing these I’ll need to source the 8 cut keys with profile cut until I find a way to cut these.

Bit of a minefield these key blades 😬

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,273 Posts

think outside the box if using a manual tracer , all you need is a cut 8 cut key , some inventiveness to hold them upright in clamp and trace the profile on to a blade on each side .

machines like ninja laser with dedicated clamp will do this when you cut the key , i suspect same with futura not sure on miracle

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

Jimmy07 (4th November, 2019)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Thought about this Rapid but would need a key to see if track is 1mm or 1.5mm also length of track ( if important ) to get accurate trace. Have ordered both cutters to experiment with and will source blanks with track somewhere

Clamps for the A9 to hold the blades are cheap around £50 I’ll order one tomorrow and see if it lets me do cuts on the flat and edge. I’ll need clamp to cut the flats anyway as HU162 is a fair bit narrower than the HU66. If A9 will do the 8 cut blade it would be a bonus then I’ll look at ways to do the 9 & 10 cuts. Bit of head scratching to work out cutting them 😰
    Last edited by Jimmy07; 4th November, 2019 at 01:49 AM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel3 View Post
    Also cut on the sides.
    So you must decode the side as well.

Purchase a lot of spear key blades.
    I think you will use a couple, trying and error.
    When doing the sidecuts.

And you need this in your machine. But I guess you already have updated this. Since it is over two years since the updates was released.

Firmware Version : 7.83
    Software Version : 7.76

What machine are you talking about !
    Just by curiosity !

Thank"s in advance

best regards
    My work is my life ART TECH GARAGE

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mexanico1971 View Post
    What machine are you talking about !
    Just by curiosity !

Thank"s in advance

best regards
    This software/firmware covers A9

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Weasel3 For This Useful Post:

mexanico1971 (8th November, 2019)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Do you have the clamp for A9 Weasel ?

Does it cut track on narrow part of key or just the flat ?

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts

So for a new blank blade with no side cut profile cut onto it,
    do we still need to do the side cuts if we want to test the key in the ignition?

What I'm trying to say is, is it sufficient to do the conventional 9 or 10 cuts on the blade for it to work in the ignition, without having to do any side cuts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast