E61 CAS3+ 01L15Y Remote Problem - Page 2
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
  1. #16
    Top Poster +

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    217
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 73 Times in 59 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    ----------------
    Last edited by fred77; 29th November, 2019 at 12:05 AM.

  2. #17
    Top Poster venceslau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weld88 View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

    If that is the case, can the Chinese key be repaired so it will work? ie: by correcting the user page data? That at least, I could do with my mini zedbull.

    I have a few photos of the board inside, case was glued/welded shut, had to be cut open.
    Attachment 670551

    If it's not an original, it seems to be better quality than most, at least compared to the pictures I see online. All the test points are nicely gold plated. Can anyone confirm from that photo ? I only have photos of that side of the board apparently.
    From the little that can be seen from that photo, this looks like FCCID:KR55WK49147 which is a Siemens VDO OEM FOB for Comfort Access equipped vehicles.

    I have not been able to figure out how to correct remote data when wrongfully programmed. Usually I renew the key and reprogram.

    One of the best and easiest tests you can do to troubleshoot remote/antenna is to use INPA and connect to CAS ecu. Navigate through the menus and you should be able to find a page with the rolling codes for remote (sorry can't recall the exact path).

    You should see various rows of new numbers every-time you press the remote. If pressing the remote button makes new numbered rows show up, you know the antenna is good and so is the FOB transmission.

    Last time I had this issue, the problem was in the key type identifier (CAS would receive the request but would ignore it because it didn't recognize the key as a valid remote type) but I just programmed a new FOB (which programmed as the correct remote type) and went on with my day.

    Hope this helps

  3. #18
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by venceslau View Post
    From the little that can be seen from that photo, this looks like FCCID:KR55WK49147 which is a Siemens VDO OEM FOB for Comfort Access equipped vehicles.

    I have not been able to figure out how to correct remote data when wrongfully programmed. Usually I renew the key and reprogram.

    One of the best and easiest tests you can do to troubleshoot remote/antenna is to use INPA and connect to CAS ecu. Navigate through the menus and you should be able to find a page with the rolling codes for remote (sorry can't recall the exact path).

    You should see various rows of new numbers every-time you press the remote. If pressing the remote button makes new numbered rows show up, you know the antenna is good and so is the FOB transmission.

    Last time I had this issue, the problem was in the key type identifier (CAS would receive the request but would ignore it because it didn't recognize the key as a valid remote type) but I just programmed a new FOB (which programmed as the correct remote type) and went on with my day.

    Hope this helps
    Thanks for the reply. The remote case had that FCC ID on it. I don't have the capability to renew a key, but that's good to know.

    I appreciate the tip about INPA, I had only tried to diagnose with ISTA/D, I will have to try it. That CAS diagnostic screen seems to be exactly what I need to confirm if the issue is programming or something with the diversity antenna.

  4. #19
    Top Poster venceslau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weld88 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The remote case had that FCC ID on it. I don't have the capability to renew a key, but that's good to know.

    I appreciate the tip about INPA, I had only tried to diagnose with ISTA/D, I will have to try it. That CAS diagnostic screen seems to be exactly what I need to confirm if the issue is programming or something with the diversity antenna.
    I know it's a bit late but I finally got a chance to find the path to that screen. In INPA CAS module navigate to Status(F5)->RC Signal (F7).

    While in this screen, if you press the remote button (any remote from any compatible car), you should see new rows of numbers.

    If you don't see anything, problem could be the fob not transmitting or CAS not receiving anything.

    If you do see numbers changing the fob needs to be reprogrammed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to venceslau For This Useful Post:

    weld88 (30th December, 2019)

  6. #20
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by venceslau View Post
    I know it's a bit late but I finally got a chance to find the path to that screen. In INPA CAS module navigate to Status(F5)->RC Signal (F7).

    While in this screen, if you press the remote button (any remote from any compatible car), you should see new rows of numbers.

    If you don't see anything, problem could be the fob not transmitting or CAS not receiving anything.

    If you do see numbers changing the fob needs to be reprogrammed.
    Not late at all, thanks for taking the time to reply... I still haven't got this problem sorted!

    I did find that particular screen in INPA, and the numbers stay at zero when I press the remote buttons.

    So, went back to the FBD module [under the spoiler] again and took it all apart. No corrosion visible anywhere inside [unlike the typical photos you see online for these modules], but I cleaned it all with contact cleaner anyways.

    The only thing I did find was the antenna glued to the bottom of the spoiler was slightly shorted, it had a resistance of about 4M ohms. It should be open or infinite on the little ribbon connector, it's a half wave dipole antenna, the two wires in the antenna arn't supposed to be touching. A few rinses with contact cleaner in the connector removed the stray resistance. Still no luck with the remote.

    Double checked that the ribbon cable is intact on that antenna while I was at it, it's fine. IS this antenna even needed for the remote or is it only for AM radio ?

    Traced wires end to end from FBD to both CAS and comfort modules, both wires are fine, power connection is also fine. It seems like the FBD module just doesn't work for the remote any longer, despite the FM reception working perfectly.

    As the comfort access doesn't work at all either [key is only recognized when in the ignition column socket], I checked the diagnostics with INPA for the PGS module too. I did find one weird thing in there, the PGS / comfort module seems to give a timeout to INPA every 5-10 seconds when I am on some of the diagnostic screens. I wouldn't think that's normal, but maybe it's something to do with the software versions, my INPA is an older software than the module is reporting.

    Can comfort access still work inside the car [to detect the key] if the FBD module is faulty ?

  7. #21
    DK Veteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    979
    Thanks
    392
    Thanked 290 Times in 246 Posts
    Downloads
    8
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    I'm reading again and can't see that you checked that your key emit signal

    and if has signal is it 315mHz as should be

    Go to lockal locksmith and check it

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Manta1600 For This Useful Post:

    weld88 (30th December, 2019)

  9. #22
    Top Poster venceslau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weld88 View Post
    Not late at all, thanks for taking the time to reply... I still haven't got this problem sorted!

    I did find that particular screen in INPA, and the numbers stay at zero when I press the remote buttons.

    So, went back to the FBD module [under the spoiler] again and took it all apart. No corrosion visible anywhere inside [unlike the typical photos you see online for these modules], but I cleaned it all with contact cleaner anyways.

    The only thing I did find was the antenna glued to the bottom of the spoiler was slightly shorted, it had a resistance of about 4M ohms. It should be open or infinite on the little ribbon connector, it's a half wave dipole antenna, the two wires in the antenna arn't supposed to be touching. A few rinses with contact cleaner in the connector removed the stray resistance. Still no luck with the remote.

    Double checked that the ribbon cable is intact on that antenna while I was at it, it's fine. IS this antenna even needed for the remote or is it only for AM radio ?

    Traced wires end to end from FBD to both CAS and comfort modules, both wires are fine, power connection is also fine. It seems like the FBD module just doesn't work for the remote any longer, despite the FM reception working perfectly.

    As the comfort access doesn't work at all either [key is only recognized when in the ignition column socket], I checked the diagnostics with INPA for the PGS module too. I did find one weird thing in there, the PGS / comfort module seems to give a timeout to INPA every 5-10 seconds when I am on some of the diagnostic screens. I wouldn't think that's normal, but maybe it's something to do with the software versions, my INPA is an older software than the module is reporting.

    Can comfort access still work inside the car [to detect the key] if the FBD module is faulty ?
    You can try using the same CAS trouble screen on another BMW with known working remote to check if fob is transmitting.

    If fob works and power/ground at FBD are good I would scope signal from FBD to CAS.

    Regarding PGS timeouts I would suspect a short. You can try disconnecting the module and see if remote starts working.

    Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to venceslau For This Useful Post:

    weld88 (30th December, 2019)

  11. #23
    DK Veteran
    bearheroes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,118
    Thanks
    657
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 680 Posts
    Downloads
    73
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Ery common problem the receiver...over the head of passenger and back...
    First check this. Very very common problem. Even used maybe not working...
    Secondly remove CA ecu and check if remote works. If works then put it back and try to remove one by one the antennas. This system communicate with lin bus. So if an antenna is not working the whole system won’t work...very usual problem is the door receivers...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Professional BMW immo solutions

    Macedonia is one and GREEK!!!

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to bearheroes For This Useful Post:

    weld88 (30th December, 2019)

  13. #24
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manta1600 View Post
    I'm reading again and can't see that you checked that your key emit signal

    and if has signal is it 315mHz as should be

    Go to lockal locksmith and check it
    Thanks for the reply Manta.

    I did check that the remote does transmit on 315MHz, early on. According to the option sheet, it is indeed a 315MHz system, and the FBD module does say 315MHz on the case as well.

    From my first post:

    - I built a small arduino circuit to check the remote, it is transmitting *something* on 315Mhz when buttons are pressed.

  14. #25
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by venceslau View Post
    You can try using the same CAS trouble screen on another BMW with known working remote to check if fob is transmitting.

    If fob works and power/ground at FBD are good I would scope signal from FBD to CAS.

    Regarding PGS timeouts I would suspect a short. You can try disconnecting the module and see if remote starts working.

    Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the excellent suggestions and for taking the time to reply!

    Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a BMW that has a CAS 3 system, my own BMWs are all EWS. I agree that would be a great help in diagnosing though. I do know someone with a Mini that might be CAS3, I'll have to enquire.

    I will disconnect the PGS module next and check the remote again using the diagnostic screen in INPA.

    The connection between FBD and CAS should show some kind of serial data stream on a scope I assume? If that shows nothing when I hit a remote button that would indicate the FBD is not working at all for the remote.

  15. #26
    DK Veteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    979
    Thanks
    392
    Thanked 290 Times in 246 Posts
    Downloads
    8
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Your car is with CAS module not EWS module and as Venceslau said you can check your remote on all other cars with CAS even Mini

  16. #27
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bearheroes View Post
    Ery common problem the receiver...over the head of passenger and back...
    First check this. Very very common problem. Even used maybe not working...
    Secondly remove CA ecu and check if remote works. If works then put it back and try to remove one by one the antennas. This system communicate with lin bus. So if an antenna is not working the whole system won’t work...very usual problem is the door receivers...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reply !

    Ah ! Now this is very interesting. I was not aware the interior receivers were _also_ an issue with this PGS system.

    I did see an error [in German... in the shadow error memory? I forgot to take a screen shot] for one of the passenger door receivers being absent. Not knowing the history of the car, I wasn't sure if this meant it was disconnected or if it has failed. Leaving the passenger door receiver disconnected if it's faulty poses no issues, or would it need to be replaced ?

    Can you confirm that a faulty receiver can cause the PGS module to reset / losing connection while being diagnosed with INPA ?

  17. #28
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manta1600 View Post
    Your car is with CAS module not EWS module and as Venceslau said you can check your remote on all other cars with CAS even Mini
    Just to clarify, the car with the remote problem is my fathers, a 2009 535xi. I own 2 E39s (which are EWS).

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •