Register
    DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    994 Posts

Default BMW E87 2005 Problem

BMW E87 2005 Cas2 prox key - cant recognise the keys also remotes doesnt work - car has 2 original keys I checked them - OK

also when you insert the key in ignition slot - no lights on the dash and slot cant hold the key - I changed the wiring and the key slot but no luck

read the cas - OK no faults

I cant oppen the passenger door to check the fuses behaind the glovebox

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    407 Posts

Check keys and CAS on the bench to make sure if they are OK.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pepi For This Useful Post:

Manta1600 (5th December, 2019)

Top Poster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

CAS can always be read with Inpa even without ignition. And also the key is displayed in the CAS.
    Only if CAS is completely dead is nothing more to read about diagnosis.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hojo25 For This Useful Post:

Manta1600 (6th December, 2019)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    994 Posts

The ignition slot and start button are connected directly to the cas2 with flat cabel

The start button has light - so there for sure has power but may be this isnt enough

The ingnition slot cant hold the key - you can put and remove without any efort

the other locksmith before me told me that he tested cas on the bench and was OK so he deside that the problem is on the cable or with key slot - I replaced them but still no luck

Can someone help me with CAS2 wiring diagram - I suspect that there must be more than one 12+ power cable

Top Poster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hojo25 For This Useful Post:

Manta1600 (6th December, 2019), rokibar (4th January, 2020), Stelaras26 (2nd January, 2020)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    994 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hojo25 View Post
    Thanks Very useful site

Top Poster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

I would disconnect the IBS sensor on the negative terminal behind. And then try to start.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hojo25 For This Useful Post:

Manta1600 (7th December, 2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hojo25 View Post
    thank you! Awesome site

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    994 Posts

Today had exactly the same situation with E60 again CAS2

when I put the existing key in key slot no lights on the dash

read the CAS2 no problem programed new key no problem - when put the key in the slot diagnostic can't see the key

looks like bad ignition slot or loom but I changed on E87 and was the same

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    994 Posts

just connected the cas on the bench with key slot from other car and work OK

again looks like faulty key slot or cables and if car wont start with the new slot like E87 - I will go crazy

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    994 Posts

Exactly the same situation - CAS work on the bench but when put on the car CAS can't recognise the keys

As Hojo25 said I tried to disconnect IBS sensor and found that wire is melted at the negative conector and when I move the wire there are hevy sparks

I suspect that there isn't power on some CAS terminals but was too rainy to check it - after christmas I will replace the negative lead and I will check CAS terminals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Apparently, if you try to boost directly on the battery instead of the posts under the hood near the engine, the IBS can be damaged. This happened to my father's E61 [by the used car dealership - at their expense!], but there was no visibly melted cable.

It's an expensive part to replace, I would make check engine to body ground and battery ground connections before connecting a new IBS if you have to replace it.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    994 Posts

I heard many times about direct to battery jumping problems but I'm not sure that this is real problem or city legends

I jumped few BMW directly to the battery without problem - I think that problems coming when battery go flat - after that people jump the already damaged cars and think that jumping damage the car

this E60 isn't jumped the owner left the car without fuel and engine stoped after that he fill the fuel and long time crank to start it and finaly lights on dash disapear and he call me thinking that his key is go faulty

the E87 from this thread also isnt jumped - They changed ABS sensor and after that there isn't lights on the dash

The owner on E60 ordered IBS with all leads and waiting for delivery - If this sort the problem I will try the same on E87
    Last edited by Manta1600; 1st January, 2020 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manta1600 View Post
    I heard many times about direct to battery jumping problems but I'm not sure that this is real problem or city legends

I jumped few BMW directly to the battery without problem - I think that problems coming when battery go flat - after that people jump the already damaged cars and think that jumping damage the car

this E60 isn't jumped the owner left the car without fuel and engine stoped after that he fill the fuel and long time crank to start it and finaly lights on dash disapear and he call me thinking that his key is go faulty

the E87 from this thread also isnt jumped - They changed ABS sensor and after that there isn't lights on the dash

The owner on E60 ordered IBS with all leads and waiting for delivery - If this sort the problem I will try the same on E87
    In my father's case, the IBS got fried by the dealer between the test drive and taking the car home a week later. ECU had 3 faults stored for the failed IBS when I checked, they didn't clear them. How they managed to destroy it... I would only be guessing at this point, but the battery cover was off and they admitted to having to boost the car prior to the test drive.

For the E87, NewTis shows 3 fuses for DSC unit (there are different schematics depending on the car was made before 2005 / 08 or not) :
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...c-unit/pqPFYve

Cas schematic shows 2 fuses:
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...system/pwBdnSC

I guess the difference between testing on the bench and in vehicle would be on this diagram:
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...arting/u7wFdsl

Start button / key slot wiring shows no additional power connection, but you have connections from ELV and DSC directly to the CAS module. Is it possible one of the DSC fuses or a problem in the DSC module itself is disabling the CAS ?

I hope changing the IBS solves the issue on the E60... but if you haven't found what caused the issue originally, I would be worried it will happen again!

There is some good information about IBS troubleshooting here if you haven't seen this yet:
    https://bimmerscan.com/bmw-intellige...ry-sensor-ibs/

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weld88 For This Useful Post:

john chan (17th January, 2020), Manta1600 (3rd January, 2020)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    117 Posts

IBS can cause a no start condition on the E60 ect. though once unplugged unless something wrong with wiring (which is unlikely) then this is most certainly not your problem.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rivalryan For This Useful Post:

john chan (17th January, 2020), Manta1600 (4th January, 2020)