Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts

Default Golf mk7 hu66 door locks

Had a few lately that have been a right pain to open with lishi

All other vag hu66 I can open in 30 seconds but just these mk7 golf with caps covering lock seem to be different somehow (or maybe I just got unlucky past 3 have been difficult)

Can anyone confirm if they are exact same lock or any differences or anyone else had any struggle ?
    Tools owned -
    AD100 PRO, Lonsdor, FVDI 18, FVDI 20, VVDI PROG, VVDI2, VVDI MB
    CGDI BMW, SuperVag, Renault ECU tool, OBDstar X300 DP Plus, AUTEL im508
    VVDI Mini Keytool, KeyDIY KDX2, SBB, ACDP CAS/KVM
    Opcom, VCDS pro, Diagbox, Multiecuscan, Forscan, JLR SDD

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

I have same issues with some Audi locks can pick some in minutes others I have to really battle with. I’d swear some Audi locks are different designs. Frustrating at times especially in this weather. Went to one a few days ago it was snowing and blowing a hurricane and wrestled with it for ages before it gave up

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,275 Posts

no real difference in mk7 hu66 , how easy a lock picks depends on a few factors , the key differ has an affect , some differs are harder to pick than others , the other is how near the lock components are to the begining of a manufacture run. lock picking exploits manufacturer intolerances , nothing more .
    when components are mass produces , the ones at the begining of the run have far less intolerances , those at the end of run tend to have more intolerances , if a lock was made with zero intolerances then it wouldnt pick.

this is why a lock will never be totally intolerance free , to build a lock with the first plug and barrel of the run and the first press of wafers is unlikely , so intolerances thankfully exist for us to exploit , some locks will have less than others , older locks more as they wear .

so many factors from production to wear to key differ have an impact on how easily a lock picks and how much it fights . this is why every pick is different , even picking 10 of the same model and year , some will need more tension than others , some will have more positive feedback , some will have more severe wear issues , as no 2 locks will ever be the same , even the most basic of locks has the capacity to humble even the best lock pickers.

sometimes other factors get involved , weather , too cold and hands feel less , raining and mind is elsewhere , and sometimes for no other reason than its friday.

one factor often overlooked by those trading is understanding locks , stripping them , examining them , figuring out what makes them tick , finding the weaknesses that can be exploited , the knowledge gained from this is useful in many situations and eases picking these when no lishi exists .
    when you come across a lock type you struggle on , or one there is no dedicated tool for , buy some of them , strip them down get inside them , figure them out , get practiced with hand picks and with impressioning techniques , project the locks and you will no longer struggle with them, its amazing what can be acieved with a scope and your eyes in a keyway.

theres a few very simple additions manufacturers could add to their locks that will prevent you from picking it , luckily they dont , probably down to the little extra it would cost to produce. even a simple side bar set up like sip22 ignitions , hu87 and vac102 , sx9 doors with side cuts , just adding simple obstacles like these old locks would stop plenty from opening the doors of cars , would see alot cease to do the job or would make code brokers very wealthy, it wouldnt take much to make door opening far harder , look how many avoid van lock outs with slam locks and deadlocks on them , yet at end of day they are still just locks , just pick differently . we are spoilt in auto with very basic locks.

im working on a number of lock and electronic lock projects for the household markets , be interesting if some of these made it to vehicles.
    Last edited by rapidlocksmiths; 15th February, 2020 at 01:07 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

Jimmy07 (15th February, 2020), sdnatlst (15th February, 2020)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    996 Posts

alot of very hot WD40 - and try to pick it clockwise and anticlockwise

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Manta1600 For This Useful Post:

Jimmy07 (15th February, 2020)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Good write up Rapid

Do Audi use a different supplier or lockset than VW ?

Always find Audi harder to pick. Get the first sequence slapping and the slight turn then play with tension to get the rest to open. Seems to be right in the brink of wafers springing back into position

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts

Cheers. Guess I've just had a few nasty ones then
    Just seemed so much of a coincidence I thought I'd ask

Cheers all
    Tools owned -
    AD100 PRO, Lonsdor, FVDI 18, FVDI 20, VVDI PROG, VVDI2, VVDI MB
    CGDI BMW, SuperVag, Renault ECU tool, OBDstar X300 DP Plus, AUTEL im508
    VVDI Mini Keytool, KeyDIY KDX2, SBB, ACDP CAS/KVM
    Opcom, VCDS pro, Diagbox, Multiecuscan, Forscan, JLR SDD

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts

maybe you work schematically, right-handed, change your hand to your left
    fang, Narwalus microcephalus,Spectrum Zx, Atari amiga, Commodore +4

10. The Following User Says Thank You to szengen For This Useful Post:

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,275 Posts

no jimmy , ive had no issues with audi locks picking , though they do use different housings but still same plugs and wafers and still manufactured in same ways so same intolerances in manufacture, you will get some where clutch unit is failing and becomes oversensitive which can be challengibg to overcome and odd ones that the doors dont open when picked and turned , sometimes you need to almost reset lock and turn again to open , ive had 1 that wouldnt open no matter how many times i turned it , i just cut a blade and it opened right up.

i like love playing with locks , i do so for relaxation and enjoyment , be it a safe lock , house lock or car lock , a lock is just a lock , some fight but all pick with the correct tools and processes , lever locks all have their own weaknesses and need approaching using differing processes , car locks are far less challenging as havnt really improved or changed much in 20 years , in fact many modern car locks are simpler to deal with than old car locks, if im in a hurry id sooner be facing an HU64 , HU101 etc than an old sx9 with sidebars , vac102 , hu87 or an FO19 which used to make everyones heart sink. if manufacturers went back to old lock designs it would cause some pain , if i was designing a new car lock id upgrade the fo19 or id fit sidebars and sensitive clutches into all door locks, vag bringing out the new hu162 locks didnt slow entry down , stick a good sidebar in the hu66 lock and watch the entry failures mount up.
    Last edited by rapidlocksmiths; 15th February, 2020 at 11:26 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,275 Posts

people have become lazy since the arrival of lishi 2in1 and likes of turbo decoder , neglecting to learn the basic skills and understand the locks they deal with daily as have become solely reliant on their tools. stripping , examining locks , understanding their construction and weaknesses has been ignored by many , but pays dividends .

it wasnt that long ago that all we had was rakes and hand picks and lock stripping to produce a key or impressioning and scope reading , then came a surg in overlifting which was a quick entry method but still needed locks removing and stripping , then came special rakes and inner groove tools that sped up entry but still had to strip locks , then the first lishi came with blind touch tools and a limited range of decoders each pick was £125 and decoders £250 each , then of course the 2in1 we know now that were £125 each when released and the rest including the sudden emergence of the messers came and rest is history.

but there still exists locks that require you to go old school , these are the ones i still get a buzz on and enjoy getting . i get alot of van deadlocks and slam locks to open as so many avoid them as can be a challenge , again its these i enjoy the most
    Last edited by rapidlocksmiths; 15th February, 2020 at 11:45 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Yes Rapid must be failing clutch units in some of the Audis I’ve done. You can feel the partial turn then if tension put on the remaining bind tight, less tension still binding then just before no tension and spring back they pick sometimes still with one binding hard so start again.....

Defo not seized wafers as all moving and bouncing sweet before picking

Going to buy a load of old locks and get into it more, stripping, building etc. It’s getting time in between jobs, learning new tools and day to day crap.

Just bought VVDI MB so Merc is the next Lishi to learn. Any tips on these ?
    Last edited by Jimmy07; 15th February, 2020 at 02:03 PM.

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,275 Posts

treat like hu101 , very similar locks , hu64 very easy to pick and dont fight normally , your biggest issue will be siezed boot locks

oh how easy it is to get into in the modern day , not too many years ago you had to know the basics in order to work and get to the point of coding a key , its become far too easy oh to have a choice to bother or not with basics

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Partly your doing Rapid you help design the easy way out.....or in should I say

Don’t want to do the norm I will strip locks and learn the mechanics it’s on the never ending to do list

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,275 Posts

Thats exactly why i now dont pass on the info straight away anymore on new locks when i crack them , and one of the reasons i no longer dedicate alot of time to development of new tools. its also one of the reasons i stopped writing photo how to guides for the tools , having seen a lowly staff aid file find its way here last week was the final nail in the coffin.

this mug no longer puts the work in for distributors to make money and the beer brigade to undercut , they want it they can put the work in and figure it out
    Last edited by rapidlocksmiths; 17th February, 2020 at 04:22 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

honda1200 (17th February, 2020), smokey08 (17th February, 2020)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Yes can see your point. I did comment on the thread about publishing other people’s work online without prior consent.

On the subject of locks. Had a pig of a one today 2007 VW Jetta. Bit of a fight to pick and pulled Lishi out a few times as well gunged up and cleaned it. Lock picked but lot of 4’s on decode and l left it to go back as was burning blades.

I take it some of the springs are seized or partially seized causing the 4’s ?

Never had one as bad as this one usually decode is a breeze

Flushed lock 3-4 times and raked

Is there a way to overcome this without stripping lock ?

Don’t want to force springs/wafers too much

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,275 Posts

you could always pick and decode the ignition lock as if you have picked it open in order to decode so your in the car , so just pick and decode ignition and jobs sorted .

i use a brake cleaner with care for the badly siezed ones . i doubt its the springs but you wont know unless you take it apart .

personally id pick and decode ignition , if door locks shot to point key doesnt work in it id upsell him a new lock with guarantee .
    Last edited by rapidlocksmiths; 18th February, 2020 at 12:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast