MK4 Golf Immo 2 Code Dash to Car - EEPROM in old dash unreadable
Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default MK4 Golf Immo 2 Code Dash to Car - EEPROM in old dash unreadable

Hello,

I have a MK4 Golf GTi from around 2001 - Unfortunately the instrument cluster has failed. I don't have any of the VW diagnostics tools but do have a USB-UPA programmer which I have tried to read the dash EEPROM with (desoldered the EEPROM etc...). Unfortunately my dash EEPROM seems to be unreadable so I cannot retrieve the codes!!

I have tested the UPA-USB with another EEPROM (A 93C56 from a Suzuki GSR600 dash - this reads ok). However the VW 93C86 will not read at all. I found the DO pin was corroded and have managed to carefully file away at the IC's package and attach a wire to the copper pad within the IC but still no luck reading.

Am I able to read the secret codes etc. from the 20XXX EEPROM inside the ECU? If so what information will I need to program my new Immo 2 dash?

I originally just intended to backup my original dash EEPROM and flash the dump to the new dash however this option is now out of the equation!

Many Thanks

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,973 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OliverM View Post
    Hello,

I have a MK4 Golf GTi from around 2001 - Unfortunately the instrument cluster has failed. I don't have any of the VW diagnostics tools but do have a USB-UPA programmer which I have tried to read the dash EEPROM with (desoldered the EEPROM etc...). Unfortunately my dash EEPROM seems to be unreadable so I cannot retrieve the codes!!

I have tested the UPA-USB with another EEPROM (A 93C56 from a Suzuki GSR600 dash - this reads ok). However the VW 93C86 will not read at all. I found the DO pin was corroded and have managed to carefully file away at the IC's package and attach a wire to the copper pad within the IC but still no luck reading.

Am I able to read the secret codes etc. from the 20XXX EEPROM inside the ECU? If so what information will I need to program my new Immo 2 dash?

I originally just intended to backup my original dash EEPROM and flash the dump to the new dash however this option is now out of the equation!

Many Thanks
    even if you could stand on your ears, unfortunately
    you must read the meter eeprom
    Reality of life :
    1:Never argue with an idiot, he will pull you down to his level and overcome you with experience
    2:Envy is the confession of inferiority
    3:Everyone lies
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    How much trash you leave behind so much trash someone will have to read or maybe you yourself
    If you like reading garbage, don't slow down, just speed it up

Top Poster +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Just give ecu dump mate and immo off...........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for your replies!

Before I make an ECU dump & disable the immo - is there anywhere else I can get the SKC?
    Being an immo 2 vehicle the immobiliser is built into the instrument cluster so I doubt that's an option... But can it be found in the ignition key detection coil maybe?

Thank you.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,973 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OliverM View Post
    Thank you for your replies!

Before I make an ECU dump & disable the immo - is there anywhere else I can get the SKC?
    Being an immo 2 vehicle the immobiliser is built into the instrument cluster so I doubt that's an option... But can it be found in the ignition key detection coil maybe?

Thank you.
    you really have zero idea in this topic
    give it to someone who knows and will do it right
    Reality of life :
    1:Never argue with an idiot, he will pull you down to his level and overcome you with experience
    2:Envy is the confession of inferiority
    3:Everyone lies
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    How much trash you leave behind so much trash someone will have to read or maybe you yourself
    If you like reading garbage, don't slow down, just speed it up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for your suggestions. Your correct - i'm not very experienced with this at all! Its something I haven't done before so I'm really looking to learn how its done.

I already have a matching replacement set of modules for this vehicle (ECU, Cluster, Locks, ignition etc...) which I purchased on eBay. These are tested and work to start the car etc. so I'm not overly concerned about damaging the existing modules as I have the spares to put it right.

What i'd like to do is attempt to repair what I have just to further my understanding of these systems really.

I have spare EEPROM chips so if needs be I can repair the broken cluster but I would still need to code this to the ECU right? But I need a dump from a VW VDO model no. JO 920 921 A instrument cluster.

I now have a copy of VCDS and the programming cable (borrowed from a friend) so have the ability to code new modules to the car. I just need the SKC to login to the components.

Thanks again for your help so far