Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Is supervag worth buying in 2020

Looking for opinions - I've recently started doing Automotive locksmithing again.

I have an Xtool APP which has been great so far. I'm looking at getting a second programmer to increase my coverage.

I was thinking of getting a SuperVag or the Autel IM608.

Is the supervag worth buying in 2020? Or would you take the chance on the newer Autel tool?

Or any other suggestions would be appreciated. I'm in Australia if its of any consequence.

Cheers!

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,273 Posts

with you looking at supervag i assume the coverage you want is vag . supervag although not as good coverage wise as the likes of abrites and vvdi2 , it has bailed me out a few times when others have failed and is great on nec clocks out jobs.

im608 would be better for a wider coverage , but if looking specifically for vag then vvdi2 or abrites is best coverage , supervag though is a handy addition as can never have too many options.

you cant compare supervag and im608 , different beasts , supervag is just vag , im608 is multiple brands

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts

Another vote to VVDI2

Much more cheaper Than AVDI, but works great - more info under the link in my signature

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    525 Posts

When considering the IM608, be aware of the subscription of 1100USD each year.
    To be able to do updates, and get support.
    And also do the calculation on MB.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weasel3 For This Useful Post:

p1et (23rd February, 2020), Supertrampr (24th February, 2020)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts

Be more specific which cars you will do mainly. SuperVag have a lot of gaps.

Top Poster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Can someone tell me why SuperVag Clone is not anymore for sell? I just missed opportunity to buy it. Order from ali for about 150$ and after that got massage that item is not longer available. That was 1 year ago. Till this day i am searchin for clone with no results. Someone know why they are not sellin it anymore? Mayby people from vvdi made that clone and after vvdi2 arrived they stop making competition for themselfs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by rapidlocksmiths View Post
    with you looking at supervag i assume the coverage you want is vag . supervag although not as good coverage wise as the likes of abrites and vvdi2 , it has bailed me out a few times when others have failed and is great on nec clocks out jobs.

im608 would be better for a wider coverage , but if looking specifically for vag then vvdi2 or abrites is best coverage , supervag though is a handy addition as can never have too many options.

you cant compare supervag and im608 , different beasts , supervag is just vag , im608 is multiple brands
    Yes at the moment VAG coverage is what I’m after. Although my goal is to expand my coverage in general. I thought maybe IM608 would offer more than just SV and I notice the car list for SV is not exhaustive.

Based on the responses in this thread, I feel I might be better to go for IM608 + VVDI2 for the most coverage. Perhaps I will consider the supervag as a backup tool later on.

AVDI would be great, I have used this before and it always worked well for me however the cost at the moment is prohibitive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PocketHero View Post
    Another vote to VVDI2

Much more cheaper Than AVDI, but works great - more info under the link in my signature
    I read your post yesterday actually! Very informative thank you.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    994 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel3 View Post
    When considering the IM608, be aware of the subscription of 1100USD each year.
    To be able to do updates, and get support.
    And also do the calculation on MB.
    Not just MB - many models need paid subscription

If you dont pay subscription will have something like SKP900

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Manta1600 For This Useful Post:

Weasel3 (23rd February, 2020)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Bought VVDI2 a couple of months ago far more coverage than Supervag for same sort of money. Have both but tend to use VVDI2 more than Supervag

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,273 Posts

im 608 has some vag coverage that abrites and vvdi fail on , vvdi has some coverage abrites and im608 fail on and abrites has coverage that vvdi and im608 fail on , you can throw vag tacho into the mix , no where near the coverage of vvdi and abrites but has many successes where vvdi and abrites fail , especially on older cars and on audi tt and beetle models , in fact nothing comes close to vag tacho on older MM clusters . then when all these fail some of the cheapest china units succeed . with vag there will never be one tool that does all .
    i have abrites , and on occasion when it fails one of my other units saves the day , can never have too many options.

cost is only prohibitive if you dont have the volume to make it pay , all business assets are tax deductable and pay back in time via this , making all assets the same price in the end as all eventually pay back through tax deduction , they also payback through use , and of course which holds the ongoing resale value if you sell . so ultimately in the fullness of time all business assets pay back , thus price is just an initial number. ive had all key coding abrites functions for a long while , the tool is well in profit now .

ultimately for me its about payback with any asset , how long this will take and what the tool brings to the table to facilitate payback , these are what i judge an asset on more than cost.

im608 although looks a good tool , its not without its bugs and its fails , and the expensive annual subscription makes it more expensive than other options over time , then of course you have lonsdor and obdstar making advances in most areas too with cheaper annual subscriptions than im608 .

any tool you buy is a success if it pays back , gives you an edge in your area as the money is in what the majority cannot do , so alot of thought should be applied to any asset purchase to get it right first time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

Supertrampr (24th February, 2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by rapidlocksmiths View Post
    im 608 has some vag coverage that abrites and vvdi fail on , vvdi has some coverage abrites and im608 fail on and abrites has coverage that vvdi and im608 fail on , you can throw vag tacho into the mix , no where near the coverage of vvdi and abrites but has many successes where vvdi and abrites fail , especially on older cars and on audi tt and beetle models , in fact nothing comes close to vag tacho on older MM clusters . then when all these fail some of the cheapest china units succeed . with vag there will never be one tool that does all .
    i have abrites , and on occasion when it fails one of my other units saves the day , can never have too many options.

cost is only prohibitive if you dont have the volume to make it pay , all business assets are tax deductable and pay back in time via this , making all assets the same price in the end as all eventually pay back through tax deduction , they also payback through use , and of course which holds the ongoing resale value if you sell . so ultimately in the fullness of time all business assets pay back , thus price is just an initial number. ive had all key coding abrites functions for a long while , the tool is well in profit now .

ultimately for me its about payback with any asset , how long this will take and what the tool brings to the table to facilitate payback , these are what i judge an asset on more than cost.

im608 although looks a good tool , its not without its bugs and its fails , and the expensive annual subscription makes it more expensive than other options over time , then of course you have lonsdor and obdstar making advances in most areas too with cheaper annual subscriptions than im608 .

any tool you buy is a success if it pays back , gives you an edge in your area as the money is in what the majority cannot do , so alot of thought should be applied to any asset purchase to get it right first time.

Thanks for this.

You're right. I'm not going to be able to do everything even if i buy everything. I guess my goal right now should be to cover as many vehicles as possible. VAG isn't as common in Australia as it is in the UK (I have worked in the UK as an automotive locksmith). So perhaps my goal shouldn't focus on one particular brand.

The IM608 subscription is also much cheaper than Smart Pro UTP and will does pay for itself with 2 - 4 jobs and as you said it's all tax deductible.

I'm going to keep researching this forum some more over the next month or so before i make any decisions. Thank you all for your help.

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,273 Posts

smart pro although improving , no longer leads the field outside of ford , it allowed itself to fall too far behind and has become an expensive tool to use when you consider the token free options out there .

TDB1000 from diagnostic box , truecode from keyprogrammers both offer decent token free coverage on many brands , tools like lonsdor k518se , obdstar x300 dp , im608 , even im508 all offer some excellent coverage options , even tools like x100 pad , autopad etc offer token saving coverage .

tools like vvdi2 and supervag are purely vag .

as much as i dislike IEA over issues with zedbull users their zedfull offers a wide coverage on cheaper utp and tokens.

good luck and hope you find what your looking for

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

Supertrampr (24th February, 2020)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    169 Posts

I've had SuperVAG for years and always paid for the yearly subscription. I paid for 2018 but each update seemed to make it less stable and it felt like I was paying to break it!
    Never bothered updating since and I would have to pay for 2 years updates now if I do want to update it.

Sent from my Mate 20Pro
    Last edited by Atex31; 27th February, 2020 at 02:17 AM.

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,273 Posts

im much same , i have 2019 updates on it , but havnt renewed 2020 as doesnt bring anything to the table i dont already have covered , but i wont say never as you never know what may come next

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast