Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Thanks Rapid

I’m at that junction now where can cover most but looking to plug holes and get into eeprom and newer models.

Have ACDP done a few LR, Jags and BMW

Eeprom work is tough here unless doing the likes of Mercedes or BMW AKL as rates aren’t great for this work so looking at newer Renault and Ford OBD if possible avoiding the dreaded tokens

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

I have a lot of Autel tools and they have been really good for me in the field so naturally the IM608 was my go-to for a starter. The subscription doesn't deter me as it might for others because I ended my snap-on subscriptions now that I've outgrown their capability. Compared to snap-on subscription prices, Autel is a drop in the bucket.
    So far it hasn't left me completely empty handed. I had a 2008 Hyundai Azera it refused to pull a PIN code from so I had to buy one. Have a Jeep Commander it refuses to change the PCM VIN over OBD2 on even though it's worked on may others.. Ended up just changing the WCM VIN so that they would sync and that was okay for the customer as we don't do emissions testing. 2008 Saab 9-3 it wouldn't pull a PIN code from.

I have a vvdi keytool max on the way, and the vvdi mini obd should be another month or so, got a deep discount when buying the dolphin machine so figured I would be another weapon in the arsenal.

Currently trying to figure out where to get the best Micropod II clone because I do A LOT of Chysler work and it would be nice to have for locksmithing, and programming/flashing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to crankycarl For This Useful Post:

Jimmy07 (27th March, 2020)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    994 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy07 View Post
    New Renault and Ford would be good
    I don't think that you will be happy with this tool for thes cars

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Manta1600 For This Useful Post:

Jimmy07 (20th March, 2020)

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,273 Posts

its pretty much a given that at present advanced diagnostics have the best ford coverage and best newer model coverage on ford at present , they also have released a bit of later renault coverage but not as much as abrites have released but abrites isnt as up to date and as reliable as AD on ford .
    with ford on ad you dont have to buy a full token free smart pro , trade in your mvp and you get 10 free older model softwares that in fairness do have a good coverage , you can buy ford outright token free .

if happy with losing some of the later coverage on ford then machines like lonsdor have a good coverage , also good coverage on renault and psa later models . tdb and truecode both have some good coverage of ford but not as much as AD.

if its later ford then at present cant get better coverage than AD , for renault abrites probably edges it at present .

for the china machines then lonsdor and im608 look the better choices , if i had to pick between the 2 then id probably go for im608 as its capability does extend further than obd programming and key programming .

there isnt a cheap unit that offers all of the coverage you desire at present , but it is only a matter of time till they all have it , it could be months away but could also be just weeks away , then time to iron out the bugs , if you want such coverage now then it costs if you can wait then the rest will follow as always .
    what i can say with some confidence is no matter what way you go , you will at some point have little to no advantage over the next , even see the one you discard get ahead of the one you choose , this is normal , i remember when abrites was a clear mile ahead of rest and held this advantage for a good while allowing investors to get payback , this advantage as always got wittled away .

if i could id have every machine , but its about seeing what best meets your needs now , what in your area you can get payback on before the rest get it and take a punt on your choice getting it soon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

That all makes perfect sense Rapid

Have decent coverage but hate holes that need filled in. 2 jobs lately pissed me off a new shape focus and Renault Kadjar.

Need a hard think what direction to take next. TDB1000 is fantastic on Ford and are working on the newer models as we speak. Renault is one I also have a few holes in but again the likes of RET do most and I’m sure will crack the rest of the latest models soon.

Then there’s the eeprom route that is a new challenge but would plug a lot of holes.

My thinking is perhaps buy RET and wait on update and also wait on TDB with new Ford.

Also buy VVDI Prog and MB gear to suit AKL as have VVDI MB for spare keys anyway. This will take me a bit deeper into eeprom work and start another new chapter

Both these tools seem decent and safe ( ish ) if learned properly

The never ending turn of the wheel

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Thanks Cranky and Ghost just seen your posts now much appreciated 👍🏻

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,273 Posts

tdb and china will all have it in time , they all reverse engineer each other , with some new ford both abrites and AD require an internet connection , with most new renault abrites wants online connection , seems to be the way its going. if you want this coverage earlier than rest then its the likes of AD and Abrites that will give you this , worthwhile if you can achieve payback , if not then best to wait for rest to catch up , its all about payback potential, if you can make it payback then its a no brainer.

eeprom can be another expensive route , again 1 unit doesnt do all , the likes of tmpro are excellent and can give an edge but at a cost of course , its another case of multiple tools to maximise coverage , if as you say rates are so poor on this then payback isnt easy .

welcome to the world of constant buying , and occasional disspointment and frustration , as you have learnt its what we signed up to , £1 to you and £10 spent elsewhere

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    393 Posts

Stopped buying western tools for now. Truecode, Abrites, and AD tablet a disappointment .
    Even AD has let me down on couple of Fords - think Greg Chambers still trys to get people to invest in other kit.

Xhorse good tho not perfect/

my advice is invest in china kit

Now virus here i'm saving every penny to pay mortgage n food s
    Last edited by fred77; 20th March, 2020 at 10:50 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fred77 For This Useful Post:

super jumbe (26th March, 2020)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,206 Posts

If you are in USA, I think the AutoProPad has the best coverage for the money. I miss developing and data testing, the tool had so much too offer in the right hands. It’s going on 1 year That I left the project and no one in the USA has been able to add new updates. I guess they’ll figure it out

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ray-ray For This Useful Post:

datapage (28th March, 2020), Jimmy07 (27th March, 2020), michaeleschmidt (24th March, 2020)

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,273 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fred77 View Post
    Stopped buying western tools for now. Truecode, Abrites, and AD tablet a disappointment .
    Even AD has let me down on couple of Fords - think Greg Chambers still trys to get people to invest in other kit.

Xhorse good tho not perfect/

my advice is invest in china kit

Now virus here i'm saving every penny to pay mortgage n food s
    greg sold ad at right time , silca influence has been dissapointing , i must admit the coverage being offered by lonsdor and by im608 have both been impressive , it wasnt long ago that china kit was a joke , no one can aford to laugh at it now , its changed the entire game.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

I'm pretty happy with autel's im608. The diagnostics with it are excellent as well almost on par with the maxisys 908 I have.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to narkeleptk For This Useful Post:

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    515 Posts

But the autel does something none of the others do.....

The diagnostics
    The thanks button is HERE looks like this --->>> THANKS

21. The Following User Says Thank You to sleepyrz For This Useful Post:

narkeleptk (25th March, 2020)

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,089 Posts

Look in the next few years locksmith business going dead, I can not see any point investing in expensive tools any more because last 10 years a go AVDI was the only best tool in the market, now most new cars coming out those expensive tools can not programme most new VAG cars all keys lost, they can only be done online and from 2021 most cars are going electrics and we don’t know if the keys going to be finger print sort start or digital code pass push start system with no keys system and the business going dead......
    Tools owned: Hammer, Chisel, Crowbar, Punch, Chainsaw, Cutter and Brain!!!

Did you know People will question all the good things they hear about you but believe all the bad without a second thought.

Note:
    All information given is to be used for educational purposes only and should not be taken seriously.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to super jumbe For This Useful Post:

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,206 Posts

Even thou I see all the new concept car 10 years before they debut, I can not share it with forum. Also concept cars are being release soon after there first protocol. In the last 4 year look and see how many factory recall was made public. I.e.: toyota 2019 overheating issue and small gas tank issue.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ray-ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by super jumbe View Post
    Look in the next few years locksmith business going dead, I can not see any point investing in expensive tools any more because last 10 years a go AVDI was the only best tool in the market, now most new cars coming out those expensive tools can not programme most new VAG cars all keys lost, they can only be done online and from 2021 most cars are going electrics and we don’t know if the keys going to be finger print sort start or digital code pass push start system with no keys system and the business going dead......
    I seriously doubt that.. Think about how much has been accomplished already as far as back-ward engineering current systems compared to that of early gen..
    I'm sure there was guys in the late 80's say oh geez wiz guys locksmithing is gonna go tits up when computers get here!
    If anything I see more demand. As the systems change the less knowledgeable will have to adapt or phase out.
    From what I can tell a lot of auto locksmiths are border line hackers.
    As long as dealerships don't privatize lockout service and keep charging huge bills for repair work, there will still be a niche.
    I think it's extremely far fetched to say all, or most, cars coming out are going to have such advanced systems that auto locksmiths can't work.
    The fundamentals will always be there.
    I couldn't see manufacturers mass producing vehicles with a better concept then using a blade and cylinder to unlock autos. Maybe one or some will develop backup systems where positive mechanical systems are completely obsolete.
    The sheer amount of engineering, implementation, and support would NOT be cost effective or widely accepted.
    There is such a massive market for automotive computer programming, and new tools updates products all the time.
    Development company's don't seem to be slowing down, but investing more R&D.

Quote Originally Posted by ray-ray View Post
    Even thou I see all the new concept car 10 years before they debut, I can not share it with forum. Also concept cars are being release soon after there first protocol. In the last 4 year look and see how many factory recall was made public. I.e.: toyota 2019 overheating issue and small gas tank issue.
    Do you think it's just a function of having all the features new vehicles are coming equipped with?
    As a 29 year old american the biggest recall I can think of was the first gen Prius.\
    With so many 'certified repair' extensions of manufacturers doing shotty repair work, and quoting huge amounts for parts profits;
    whats your opinion of the future of indy's & the 'right-to-repair' legislation in the US?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to crankycarl For This Useful Post:

narkeleptk (27th March, 2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast