Register
    Top Poster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Default How to Fix 2018 Camry Transmission bad after Mileage job

I have done over 10 of these 2018 Toyota Camry's with no issues using Smelecom Multiplex Adapter or SF Tool. One time with Smelecom about 10 minutes after job was done customer called complaining his transmission was not working correctly. I thought no way could the Mileage job cause trans. issues. After hours of trying to fix this rewriting old info back etc. with no luck I left it overnight. Next day roughly 12 hours later went to start car and problem was gone, transmission was working okay. So weird and rare but in case it happens to any of you guys, don't panic just park it overnight then it should work fine. I guess it was the mileage correction that caused the problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Out of curiosity, had you disconnected the battery before pulling cluster, or reset any ECU/TCM memory with a scan tool after?

Top Poster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Yes, removing the battery and waiting a couple minutes before putting back on was tried many times. Made the car work each time for about 2 minutes. Then same transmission issue. Everything else worked fine. New miles were counting gauges set and working. Would love to know if anyone else more technical could try and make the connection between clean mile job and transmission like not going past 5 mph???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Default I've seen that Problem before Come into our shop

Quote Originally Posted by MileageAudit5 View Post
    I have done over 10 of these 2018 Toyota Camry's with no issues using Smelecom Multiplex Adapter or SF Tool. One time with Smelecom about 10 minutes after job was done customer called complaining his transmission was not working correctly. I thought no way could the Mileage job cause trans. issues. After hours of trying to fix this rewriting old info back etc. with no luck I left it overnight. Next day roughly 12 hours later went to start car and problem was gone, transmission was working okay. So weird and rare but in case it happens to any of you guys, don't panic just park it overnight then it should work fine. I guess it was the mileage correction that caused the problem.

There's a manufactures Software update to correct that vehicle from stalling during rapid deceleration when the perceived outside temperate is over 100 degrees and the baric pressure is in a specific range band
    that update relies on a few parameter readings and the instrument cluster MCU: mileage is one of them. Your customer is going to have major issues in the future as the temperature rises. Because
    instead of Toyota changing the faulty components in the transmission they decide to slow down the wear and tear through software. The higher the mileage the softer the shift and dis and engagement of the lockup torque converter<----Vice Versa!
    That vehicle's Ecu needs to be some how re-flashed to the new km to function somewhat normal, depending on the mileage deviation

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lexidime For This Useful Post:

GameTheoryOptimal (23rd April, 2020), MileageAudit5 (23rd April, 2020), narkeleptk (23rd April, 2020), sagie1zn (22nd April, 2020)

Top Poster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Lexidime, thank you for your explanation. So strange but that makes sense. I will have to keep a tab on the vehicle. If customer calls in future about same problem I will update it to this post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

If your customer is still under warranty they should be able to get that flash for free as long as the dash vin match the vehicle

Top Poster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I did not try using a scan tool to clear the memory or read possible stored fault codes. Just remove the battery. I should have scanned it and cleared it first.