Register
    Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Default 2012 Dodge Journey smart key programmed, works except proximity?

Got weird problem today.
    Couldn't get second smart key programmed to 2012 Dodge Journey, tried all kinds of things - few different keys, clicking unlock button once or more during programming (procedure says it only needs to be clicked once)...Spent much more time on it than it deserved. At the end somehow had key programmed. Remote works. BUT car only can be started when pushing start button with smart key. Otherwise - "key not detected". Original key works good. WTF? Anyone had similar problem?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

did you used a OEM key or aftermarket?
    ..:: M and M Autolock ::..
    Automotive Locksmith
    Phoenix, AZ USA

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

had same issue, xhorse key worked only remote, aftermarket worked only near antenna

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    515 Posts

had some weirdness with a 2017 grand cherokee where it would respond to the remote portion only and even remote start the car after programming

but as soon as you got in and press button it shuts off as it didnt see the key and using the key to press start button does nothing

scanned the key after programming and it said it was still unlocked...........

but remote worked just fine

two different keys might i add
    The thanks button is HERE looks like this --->>> THANKS

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

It was used OEM smart key. Here are couple very strange things. All used smart keys that I have on hand (with same FCC ID) are UNLOCKED, and yes, smart key showed "unlocked" after programming!
    BUT! Guy's original key also showed "unlocked" but worked as it should!
    One more thing I did - after programming I replaced the battery in the smart key, and later I found that after that smart key might need to be resync'ed with the car (no tools required for this). Not sure if this was the case, customer long gone. Apparently there is weird sh*t going on as I'm not the only one. Like I said - in my case remote was working and car was starting BUT only when tapping start button with the key. Since this was the only key that I could program at that time, it might be key's problem as well, I guess (proximity part).
    Last edited by ranchero; 11th May, 2020 at 11:43 AM.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

police package ...same deal with charger

Top Poster +

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mojomojo View Post
    police package ...same deal with charger
    Do you mind to explain? His original smart key works normally, as it should.

Top Poster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ranchero View Post
    It was used OEM smart key. Here are couple very strange things. All used smart keys that I have on hand (with same FCC ID) are UNLOCKED, and yes, smart key showed "unlocked" after programming!
    BUT! Guy's original key also showed "unlocked" but worked as it should!
    One more thing I did - after programming I replaced the battery in the smart key, and later I found that after that smart key might need to be resync'ed with the car (no tools required for this). Not sure if this was the case, customer long gone. Apparently there is weird sh*t going on as I'm not the only one. Like I said - in my case remote was working and car was starting BUT only when tapping start button with the key. Since this was the only key that I could program at that time, it might be key's problem as well, I guess (proximity part).
    I have my Dodge smart keys often show unlocked as well, and though they work on the original car, I can program them to another vehicle as well. I did this in a pinch with my sister-in-law's key, using a used key from another vehicle. So, for whatever reason, even though they say they are not reusable, you can use them on different vehicles.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by madsci69; 13th May, 2020 at 05:50 AM.