Register
    DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Default Rip Off Britain Alive and Well

I wanted a new console for the Laser 994, the old one is out of support and won't cut HU100R.

The best deal I could find was in the NW at £1700 or so plus delivery. On back order from Keyline. "Should be available in a couple of weeks."

Lockpicks.com in the US had them at $1200 USD inc free US shipping. They assure me that they work with all models, they're not country specific.

I've used myus.com before and their service works, so I bought it and had it sent there.

$51 USD to myus.com FedEx to the UK was reduced by $20 because of Covid related problems experienced by lots of myus customers that didn't affect me, but I took the benefit.

£212 of VAT, duty and general HMRC/FedEx rapage at the border sees the console on my desk today within two weeks of the order at a cost of just over £1200 - £500 less than the cheapest price in the UK!

Let's hope it works!

It was a tough call, buy the console or something like an xhorse Dolphin, but I think there's life in the 994 yet, for my purposes anyway. I only cut HU92, 101, and, 100R.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PixelsFixed For This Useful Post:

u.s (3rd June, 2020)

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    996 Posts

Strange no one want to pay overpriced tools (including me)

But everybody we complaints that customers go to beer boys to buy cheap keys

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,276 Posts

prices are cheaper in usa on alot of makes including AD , IEA etc , always been the case, but in some countries its cheaper in uk .

the price is generally dictated by the manufacturer in each country.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PixelsFixed View Post
    I wanted a new console for the Laser 994, the old one is out of support and won't cut HU100R.

The best deal I could find was in the NW at £1700 or so plus delivery. On back order from Keyline. "Should be available in a couple of weeks."

Lockpicks.com in the US had them at $1200 USD inc free US shipping. They assure me that they work with all models, they're not country specific.

I've used myus.com before and their service works, so I bought it and had it sent there.

$51 USD to myus.com FedEx to the UK was reduced by $20 because of Covid related problems experienced by lots of myus customers that didn't affect me, but I took the benefit.

£212 of VAT, duty and general HMRC/FedEx rapage at the border sees the console on my desk today within two weeks of the order at a cost of just over £1200 - £500 less than the cheapest price in the UK!

Let's hope it works!

It was a tough call, buy the console or something like an xhorse Dolphin, but I think there's life in the 994 yet, for my purposes anyway. I only cut HU92, 101, and, 100R.
    Pity I didn't think of doing the same.
    I bought mine 2 years ago, and it was £1656 inc VAT

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    394 Posts

UK has higher taxes - think a major reason why everything is more expensive inc the amount we charge our customers

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manta1600 View Post
    Strange no one want to pay overpriced tools (including me)

But everybody we complaints that customers go to beer boys to buy cheap keys
    That's why it's very important to compromise quality of work with reliable price.

But also BUYING tools and other goods is a lil bit different than paying for services. When you buy a thing, it mostly doesn't matter from who, it matters where is the cheapest because it's only an item.

When you pay for service, well you paying for service haha. I don't need to elaborate. I think everyone understand differences.

Although with locksmith stuff which we use day by day, it's important to buy from local distributors who are able to help faster if we have an issue.

But for ex. we have AD distributor and when my MVP screen broke, they sent device to UK/US anyway...
    Last edited by p1et; 3rd June, 2020 at 11:16 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to p1et For This Useful Post:

Manta1600 (4th June, 2020)