Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Question NEW: Need Guidance On Where To Start With Airbag Software and Hardware

Hi everyone,

So I'm new to the airbag side of cars and I had a few questions on where to begin. I'd prefer to be able to purchase an OBD2 tool that can connect directly to the EEPROMs on the airbag modules. I'm not sure if this is possible but if anybody knows of a reputable source for a tool like this please let me know where to get it from.

Also, I'm assuming Ultraprog and Carprog are the 2 most popular devices/programs used for reading and writing to the SRS modules. Do these programs come preloaded with the virgin airbag dumps for all of the supported makes and models or do you have to source your own virgin dump data yourself and flash it using Carprog or Ultraprog?

Are there better devices/software out there than Carprog and Ultraprog?

Thanks in advance for anybody who replies 😎
    ---:..Gratitude is the best attitude..:---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm new here as well but from I've gathered and been told here, you 90% of the time have to remove the module and access the eeprom.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by efodela View Post
    I'm new here as well but from I've gathered and been told here, you 90% of the time have to remove the module and access the eeprom.

Yikes. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Surely there's a device out there than can access the memory chips via OBD2? Although, I've been searching most of today and can't seem to really find anything. Even if you have to pull the airbag module off of the car it won't be as bad as having to remove the EEPROM from the board itself.

Is there anything else you've learned that you feel I should know?

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I was able to find this as a direct OBD2 port connection option so far:

https://www.srsmodule.info/product/c...-infineon-mpc/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Is that confirmed? and I doubt ill go that way just because of the cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by efodela View Post
    Is that confirmed? and I doubt ill go that way just because of the cost.

I like that they have videos showing how to use the programmer but yes the cost is a little high and I'm not 100% sure it even supports modules modules older than 2010. I really wish other members in the forum could help pitch in and at least let us know what Carprog or Ultraprog have to offer in terms of make, model, and year compatibility. I don't want to have to buy 5 or 6 different programmers. Hoping that 1 or 2 recommended programmers can be compatible with a wide range of car models.

Also, can anyone confirm that Carprog/Ultraprog have the virgin dumps preloaded in the software already??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Regardless you will need multiple programmers. One programmer can’t do 100% of cars. And for you OBD2 question. There are programmers like Carprog and xtool that can do SOME cars obd2. CalkmasterX/gromcalc can do some obd2 as well but I’m not sure how reliable it is. I have a friend that told me not to get it.
    I have ultraprog. It’s good. Great support from erwin. And pretty easy for beginners. And for the price for a full kit is $500... it can do eeproms it can do some renesas , Motorola , Infineon, spc and other MCU .
    I have a reworked Carprog. It works decent. I’ve done a few modules that have eeproms with it and never had a problem up until the other day. It didn’t want to clear the crash data from an Altima automatically so I had to do it manually. I also have carprotool but not all activations. Saving up for original Carprog... and I have digimaster3. For odometer but I’ve done some modules on it before.