Register

Thread: the box super

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default the box super

HI all, I have followed the set up guide to install the software on my box. The problem is when I connect my PC to the box. When I try to assign a com port to load the software from, the coms and port settings is not there. I have connected using a null modem cable. As my pc does not have a serial connector, I am using a usb to serial adaptor. When I go to device manager, if I connect the cable I get a human interface device listed. Any help would be appreciated.

Admin Assistant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    283 Posts

Hit and miss with an adapter. Can you try it from a standalone PC, (if you know someone with one), this takes the adapter out of the equation. BTW did you load the driver for the adapter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried it on a mates pc, but got the same result as on my own. I have loaded the driver that came with the adapter, the driver disc has HID install on it ? I got the adapter off fleabay from china. Someone said I might have more luck with a "cross over cable".
    Last edited by edward hitler; 2nd October, 2008 at 06:36 PM.

Admin Assistant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    283 Posts

I think I see what you are doing now. Are you just using the USB adapter, if so it wont work. You need to use a Null Modem Cable in conjunction with the USB adapter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I bought the box a null modem lead was included, but not an adapter. So thats why I bought the adapter. I have had the 2 cables connected when I tried to load the software on the box but with no success.

Admin Assistant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    283 Posts

Did you load the driver for the adapter? In device manager did you select a free Comm Port from 1 to 4 for the adapter?

On your mates PC did you use just the null modem cable from his serial port? Lots of questions I know, but it will be easier to answer your problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

I have managed to sort the box by using a mates pc which has a serial port on it. So much easier with a serial port. Thanks for the help anyway