Register
    DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Default VAG EDC16U1 soi dynamic map

Hello!

Does anyone know how works soi dynamic map, when works, and is it necessary to change this map after changing soi basic maps.

thanks

regards, davor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts

Yes sure- it's a separate set of SOI maps that are used instead of the "normal" maps in the case of certain conditions, ie transients. The simplest explanation is given in the EDC15 Funktionsbeschreibung, nothing's really changed in EDC16 except the labels, therefore:

IF
    Difference between Drivers Wish and Smoke Limitation quantity is greater than level defined in hystereses (InjCrv_trqDynDesHigh/Low_C)- transient waiting for boost or EGR rate reduction
    AND
    Difference between Torque Limitation quantity and Smoke Limitation quantity is greater than level defined in InjCrv_trqDynLimHigh/Low_C- Quanity is being limited by insufficient air (again transient recognition)
    AND
    Water temperature greater than InjCrv_tDynClntHigh/Low_C
    AND
    Atmospheric pressure greater than InjCrv_pDynAPHigh/Low_C
    AND
    Switch is enabled- InjCrv_swtDyn_C
    AND NO
    PCR system faults or persistent boost deviation errors
    THEN
    Dynamic SOI is used

Useful for permitting late, low-NOx, combustion during steady state operation from the standard SOI maps whilst reducing smoke during transients, or, if you're a cynic, making the emissions whatever you want them to be under test.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DiegoStud For This Useful Post:

davorsule (1st December, 2020), familiozo (2nd December, 2020), Junkyard Dog (1st December, 2020), Ohvalve (26th July, 2021), SoftDev (6th November, 2021)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

In dynamic SOI, SOI values are advanced compared to normal SOI maps, if I'm correct,so start of injection starts earlier in some parameters (rpm,iq). Very interesting that these engines are tuned almost to perfection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by DiegoStud View Post
    Yes sure- it's a separate set of SOI maps that are used instead of the "normal" maps in the case of certain conditions, ie transients. The simplest explanation is given in the EDC15 Funktionsbeschreibung, nothing's really changed in EDC16 except the labels, therefore:

IF
    Difference between Drivers Wish and Smoke Limitation quantity is greater than level defined in hystereses (InjCrv_trqDynDesHigh/Low_C)- transient waiting for boost or EGR rate reduction
    AND
    Difference between Torque Limitation quantity and Smoke Limitation quantity is greater than level defined in InjCrv_trqDynLimHigh/Low_C- Quanity is being limited by insufficient air (again transient recognition)
    AND
    Water temperature greater than InjCrv_tDynClntHigh/Low_C
    AND
    Atmospheric pressure greater than InjCrv_pDynAPHigh/Low_C
    AND
    Switch is enabled- InjCrv_swtDyn_C
    AND NO
    PCR system faults or persistent boost deviation errors
    THEN
    Dynamic SOI is used

Useful for permitting late, low-NOx, combustion during steady state operation from the standard SOI maps whilst reducing smoke during transients, or, if you're a cynic, making the emissions whatever you want them to be under test.
    Hello Diego,

I found all varibles for my file:

InjCrv_trqDynDesHigh_C = 6 NM
    InjCrv_trqDynDesLow_C = 0 NM

InjCrv_trqDynLimHigh_C = 6 NM
    InjCrv_trqDynLimLow_C = 0 NM

InjCrv_tDynClntHigh_C = 75 C
    InjCrv_tDynClntLow_C = 60 C

InjCrv_pDynAPHigh_C = 0 hPa
    InjCrv_pDynAPLow_C = 0 hPa

InjCrv_swtDyn_C = 1

If folow the algoritm you provide then I will use dynamic maps all the time because 6NM difference is nothig.

However, the maps only actually interfere between 3,500 to 4,200 rpm. Do not understand it..

https://prnt.sc/1yscvbq
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SoftDev; 8th November, 2021 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoftDev View Post
    If folow the algoritm you provide then I will use dynamic maps all the time because 6NM difference is nothig.
    Hi, it can be easily misread so, no not really. 6Nm is enough.
    Example- If the car is cruising along then the drivers wish quantity would be far below the smoke limitation quantity, and conditions would not be fulfilled to enable. Only when the drivers wish is greater than the smoke limitation quantity, as in your case by 6Nm, would the first condition be fulfilled.
    To take the 2nd condition- as in all normal cases at full load, torque limitation quantity is lower than smoke limitation, hence it would not be fulfilled. However, during transients the smoke limitation quantity would be lower and likely the difference could exceed 6Nm.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftDev View Post
    However, the maps only actually interfere between 3,500 to 4,200 rpm. Do not understand it..
    Then are you sure they are the cause, or are you assuming as the figures are similar?
    Without any file to see it's hard to say more. What I would add, with all respect, is you can imagine how poor tuning could enable it where it shouldn't be...

Oh, and those torsion values are interesting... how's the cam sensor?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DiegoStud For This Useful Post:

SoftDev (9th November, 2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh, you meen Driver Torque Request to be greater then Smoke Limitation by 6 NM and not just the difference between two numbers to be 6NM. Ok that make sence now.

Then are you sure they are the cause, or are you assuming as the figures are similar?
    Yes i think that's the reason. This ECU does not have many SOI correction maps to interfere.

Here I made a mistake by looking at the wrong log. Now I look at the right one and really when the Dyn maps intervate I have a difference then 6NM in range 3,500 to 4,200 rpm.

https://prnt.sc/1yv16mw

Once I realized how important the dynamic maps are and how they work, I wonder how no one but you has written about them. I have reviewed dozens of files and I have not seen them change anywhere when there are changes in the normal SOI maps. Dumb ..

I've attached the file I'm still working on to review. To make it easier, I also added a mappack.

And one more thing: Why my Smoke Limiter fall down on Logs when I set it 70mg @ 2000hPa till 5200RPM?

Thank you Diego!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts

The issue is the torque to IQ conversion map-
    1. Torque Limiter is given in in NM. You have requested 410NM. From 3500rpm upwards you are in reality requesting more than 70mg but you cannot see it due to diagnostic limits, hence in VCDS it shows as 70mg.
    2. The smoke map also uses the Torque to IQ map, but to convert the other way round. You have limited to 70mg, however at 3500rpm it must interpolate between 52mg and 71mg. So the result will be less than 410Nm.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiegoStud For This Useful Post:

mechkata72 (29th January, 2022), SoftDev (10th November, 2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The issue is the torque to IQ conversion map-
    1. Torque Limiter is given in in NM. You have requested 410NM. From 3500rpm upwards you are in reality requesting more than 70mg but you cannot see it due to diagnostic limits, hence in VCDS it shows as 70mg.
    2. The smoke map also uses the Torque to IQ map, but to convert the other way round. You have limited to 70mg, however at 3500rpm it must interpolate between 52mg and 71mg. So the result will be less than 410Nm.
    Ok, I got it. Thank you again!