Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How do you find the key bittings from a Renault?

I've got all the gear, XC Mini doesn't sppear to have an option to generate the key bittings from the numbers for a Renault Espace. I'm just getting into decoding the key bittings using the VIN or ignition key number as I traditionally use the lishi decoders. Would I have to reach out to a service?

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,273 Posts

well lishi wont let you down on the espace across the generations , ive not had an espace yet that lishi doesnt deal with in a minute or 2 .

though im not sure on what you are asking for advice on ? you ask about generating bitting from the numbers , what do you mean ?

are you on about how to work out the bittings from the dealers key code ?
    are you asking how to work out the biting from the numbers stamped on the wafers when you strip the lock ?
    are you asking about how to enter the manufacturers key code into a cut to code machine ?

im also not sure what you mean by bittings from vin ? you cannot get the bittings from the vin , you can only get key code from dealer or broker from the vin number . but why pay for key code to vin service when lishi picks and decodes the lock in a minute or 2 ?

if you are asking about getting the bitting from the key code , then this differs depending on what year of espace and which key , on espace the dealer codes are direct bitting , for instance on older models using vac102 key , you knock off the last 2 digits of manufacture code as the first 6 digits are the direct bitting to enter .

you wont get bitting from codes stamped on locks , nor will you get bitting from the vin number unless you buy code from dealer by giving them the vin number .

stick to lishi its quicker
    Last edited by rapidlocksmiths; 11th February, 2021 at 11:40 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

Adam187a (22nd February, 2021), fred77 (22nd February, 2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, it was very insightful!
    Sorry for replying late, I didn't get a notification to my email as I thought I enabled email notifications, seems like I did not

What I was speficically looking for was how to use the handbook's information to find the bittings on a key cutting machine. I use the XC Mini, a customer came to me with a Renault Espace that doesn't have a blade at all, so if his battery was to die or malfunction it would be a lot of hassle to open the door or even the bonnet for that matter.

Inside the handbook prints "Ignition Key No" followed by 8 numerical digits, I had assumed this was the number needed to find the bittings on the machine however this wasn't the case, I quickly learned the bittings would have 6 characters consisting of letters and numbers

I suppose I will just stick to lishi picks for now! I don't know of any other way

V.I.P. Member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,273 Posts

you are incorrect , for espace models 2002 to 2010 using the key card there are no letters at all in the keycode , just numbers and just numbers 1 to 5 .

the card keys with letters in the key code will only have H or Q on those that use the 1234Q5678H series lock , and this only on clio as well as phase 3 systems and not phase 2 systems and not in espace , so not sure where you quickly learnt this but its not the case for your espace code and maybe need more accurate learning resources.

some locks like ne72 use just letters , but not an espace card system.

renault card systems use direct bitting as the key code , so the machine doesnt need to work out biting from the key code , the relevent digits in the key code are the bitting , renault make your life easy by using direct bitting , all you need to know is which digits to drop from the code , ie which are the bitting and which are not and if cutting to manufacture code know if your machine reverses the biting for you or if you must reverse it yourself.

if what you have seen printed in the service book is the key code , then yes it will have 8 digits all numbers , with these card keys using the 12345 series , you drop the last 2 digits , the first 6 numbers are the key code , to cut the correct key you must reverse the 1st 6 numbers to get the direct bitting . so if the code printed in the book was 12343271 , then drop the last 2 digits giving you 123432 , now reverse this to get the direct bittings which would give you a key of 234321

all basic knowledge , when site reading 1 is deepest cut and 5 is highest cut

with all the messers out there doing cheap keys , its not unusual to see these with no bypass key at all and no cut key inside the card just a blank key , this is no longer the professional trade it once was , many trading having no basic knowledge and no experience .
    Last edited by rapidlocksmiths; 24th February, 2021 at 10:37 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rapidlocksmiths For This Useful Post:

Adam187a (23rd June, 2021), Weasel3 (23rd February, 2021)