Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What brand of router should I buy

Hey guys,

Would like to ask what brand of wireless router should I buy?

There's Linksys, D-Link and Netgear available.

I only have a limited budget so im buying the wireless G type

Suggestions?

Thanks.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

LINKSYS LINKSYS LINKSYS LINKSYS LINKSYS LINKSYS LINKSYS LINKSYS LINKSYS LINKSYS LINKSYS LINKSYS AND FINALLY LINKSYS to be honest I no shit about networking but my wife knows lots of shit about it and she always raves about linksys and we got one at our house
    Fcuk up now............... ask questions later

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For an easy life, get a Netgear router. They are easy to setup and use.

V.I.P. Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

I would go with a Ryobi, or a Bosch. De-Walt do some good ones, but you pay well over the odds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Asus wl500 is great (it has 2 usb ports for printer, hdd, etc). Linksys is good, but Asus is somewhat better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

i have a netgear and have no problems with it wat so ever ...easy to set up and works perfectly every time so i d reccommend netgear to anyone ,,,,the girlfriend has a belkin and it keep s goin off so pehaps stay away from belkin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default LINKSYS RULES

DUDE AT HD TALKED ME INTO A NETGEAR ONCE
    THAT WAS SOME BAD DAYS
    OH YES
    GET THE MOST EXPENSIVE MODEL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do NOT get a belkin.... Bane of my life!

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really? Ive always been setting up Belkin wireless routers for myself and friends/family.

Only recently, have I set up a Dlink wireless router

Once my wireless router arrives from ebay, I will have configured a Linksys one(they do seem quite popular with businesses)

Eventually, Ill be purchasing a Linksys WRT300N as it works with both cable/ADSL connections making it future proof, so to speak

Im also waiting though, seeing as though there is no support for custom firmware for the second version of that product unfortunately

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you'll find that most people will recommend the brand of router that they own, so it's difficult to get an unbiased opinion.

I just recently replaced a Linksys BEFSX41 that was getting on for seven years old and finally starting to give up on me. I was extremely happy with it, and on that basis I also purchased a pair of WAP4410N Cisco/Linksys wireless APs. Sadly they have not proven to be anywhere near as solid as the old Linksys kit, which is odd considering Cisco are willing to lend their name to the brand. I've also heard comments elsewhere that Linksys are not what they used to be.

I don't have experience with Netgear routers, but of their products that I have come into contact with, they have generally been a world of pain.

Right now I'm running a MicroTik RouterBoard 750G. Probably no good for you as it's not wireless, but what you do get is five gigabit ports, 580Mbps maximum throughput, 680Mhz CPU, firewall, advanced routing, bandwidth management, and a whole host of other features that even I don't understand. And all for sub-?50.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suppose Linksys is used a lot in business because of the CISCO link. The same way that using MS products are the "business standard" but admittedly, CISCO products are generally quite good as they do tend to buy up quality brands, not budget based ones and then do more research in to them

From a business point of view, Id recommend Linksys routers. I normally buy routers based on the price(but now Im also factoring in how easy it is to install custom firmware), as there havent been any ones that Ive had that were "bad"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have both a netgear and a dlink router. the netgear is just the standard $30 - $40 wireless g router, and works fine for most uses. i have a desktop, a laptop (wireless), and a WII(wireless) that all perform well with it. my Dlink is a N1 router. I paid around $100 for it. it is MUCH faster than the wireless g router. the netgear gets about 54Kbps ; the N1 Dlink gets 300Kbps.

the thing is, in order to take advantage of the N1 technology, your wireless adapter must also support N1 - otherwise you get wireless g speeds. the N1 also has 3-4 times the broadcast range.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only experience i have with Belkin is with their wiresless adapters. I bought 2 ($100 each) N1 adapters. they worked fine for a while, but then started to randomly drop their connection. Total CRAP! Garbage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own 3 routers one netgear, billion and a linksys. The linksys is by far the best, in terms of customisations and settings. The netgear is easy to configure but is pretty standard. The billion is also pretty standard. None of these have given any trouble.

My recommendation would be to by a Linksys wrt54g, as it is a well supported version and is easy to configure with custom firmware.

Enjoy

Top Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

don't most ISP's now give you one for free. Give em a call and i'm sure they will send you one out.

I have got a netgear and it's fine but it is easy & basic. I bought two d-link routers and they have been crap. Like someone else said before it will be hard to get a decent opinion as people have one and stick to it as long as it works.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast