Register
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Renault Clio ECU problem

Hi to all,

my personal car is having some problems, like hickups, sometimes want start, and sometime just turns off while driving.
    We have checked everything and some repair guys sugested me to change ECU.
    I do a lot of electronics, so soldering and checking is not a problem for me.
    I did open ECU, but I do not see anything that would be problematic.

But I still decided to clone my ECU to second one and try with that.
    At that point I did not nottice that EMS3132 has multiple part no. so I bought different one.

My ECU is: 8200326395
    Replacement ECU: 8200483732

The hardware is the same, but I do not know if only difference in those units is in flash, or code for Infineon is also different?
    If different I assume it is not possible to extract ECU software with some JTAG and program replacement unit?

Or if some user here is from Zagreb and have some solution/clues for me please contact me with DM.

I have some more info.
    VIN needs to be changed, but I am not sure is it also in Infineon flash - or just in external flash?
    If it is in Infineon I need wiggler or I will make one from FTDI, and try to read internal flash of Infineon.
    All EMS3132 MCU might have same code running, difference could be just internal and external EEPROM.

If I understand this thread correctly https://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forum...73#post1891573
    VIN is in flash, but I am not sure is it also in Infineon internal eeprom.

Will continue this thread and wrote my expierience if I find something more ...

Thanks,
    Goran
    Last edited by mistery; 17th September, 2021 at 12:01 PM.

Top Poster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Gorane u ems3132 je 29f200 bb mislim procitaj eprom i flah i ja cu ti napraviti virgin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to apavlic008 For This Useful Post:

mistery (24th September, 2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ooo no, I just took a better look - seams like I have CAN chip and the replacement unit does not have one

ECU.jpg

I still did not connect enything.
    What I did is make multiple backups od new chip that I bought(just to chek later what was inside as it was not empty).
    Removed 29f200BB FLASH from replacement unit.
    Did multiple backups of that flash
    Removed 29f200BB FLASH from my car ECU
    Did multiple backups of that flash
    Wrote new 29f200BB FLASH chip with backup files from my car unit
    Solder this new chip to replacement unit
    Solder back original 29f200BB FLASH to my "broken" car ECU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you don't want problems, take the exact same ecu and clone it. If the problem is the ecu .. If you continue to have problems even after replacing the ecu you should check the relay box which is next to the battery and verify that there are no problems with the relays. Sometimes a lot of problems can come from there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brek89 For This Useful Post:

mistery (24th September, 2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brek89 View Post
    If you don't want problems, take the exact same ecu and clone it. If the problem is the ecu .. If you continue to have problems even after replacing the ecu you should check the relay box which is next to the battery and verify that there are no problems with the relays. Sometimes a lot of problems can come from there.
    Well I do not want problems, just want to understand how it works, and repair my car
    In a day or two I will aso have renolink so I connect original ECU and try to backup everything that is accessable.

I cannot return this replacement ECU so would be good if I can somehow find SW version, and if it is te same as on my car.
    If it is then after all backups I would even consider adding CAN chip and try to connect to car.

But currently I know to little to try that.
    That is bit older car 2007 so maybe it does not have many protections.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Resoldering and cleanup

I just did resoldering and after that cleanup.
    U did not add solder as I do not know what type of solder is used in ECU, so I just added bit of flux and resolder each pin of all chips...

I just tested and car is still starting. But I will wait renolik to backup everything, and then I will try to drive and see if problems are still persistant.

I also have video of resoldering, but I will need to edit some parts as on optics I have bigger picture then it is recorded, so some parts are not visible and I will just need to cut those parts out...

Even if this works I would still be gratefull if someone could explain me how to check if old and replacement units have same FW
    And if they have would adding just CAN chip along with full backup be enough to have same unit?

Today I have started my old resoldered ECU and drove for 10km. All was fine for now.

Infineon.jpg

I have tried to start replacement unit on my bench, and supply it 12V and connect it with renoling directly, bu that did not work.
    So I replaced edited chip with old one (original from that unit), but I still cannot see it in Renolink.

I have connected
    GND (OBD 4,5) to Pin 3 A connector, rest is on B connector
    VCC 30, 29 - connected to 12V and on OBD pin 16
    CAN H - pin 27 ECU - pin 6 on OBD
    CAN L - pin 57 ECU - pin 14 on OBD
    K-line - pin 56 - pin 7 on OBD

Tryed to get response from ECU renolink is nof finding it.
    I see 12V on ECU and also 5V all around the board.

Oh, I just forgot to add L-line as this unit does not have CAN
    After adding I can connect to ECU and get some more info.
    L-line - pin 26 - pin 15 on OBD
    And maybe I could add CAN chip and test if CAN would work if I load my unit backuo to it.

But for now I have created virgin FLASH for this replacement unit, and now when I read unit it looks like this.

ecm_virgin.jpg

@apavlic008 I assume this ok?

And looking at my setup I see potencial of BenchBox3 as opensource ECU simulator or even some tester.
    USB pedal is already supported, so we could use it as trottle, and we have 4 configurable DC channels that we can use for injectors.
    They have GUI creator called studio so it is not impossible for them to do it.
    From HW they would need to add CAN on OBD connector, but I think it would be possible to create some board that fits to small green connector in front that is not visible on this picture...
    I im already talking with Envox about that as I often colaborate with them.

BB3.jpg

For now, with resoldered ECU I have passed 100Km and it is ok.
    But just in case in few days I will go to service to do ultrasonic injectors cleaning.
    I do have good ultrasonic bath, but this time I will leve this to profesionals.
    Will try to get one used injector and make complete test bench at my place...
    Envox BB3 already have frequency generator so I think it will be easy to do injector testing setup with it...

Another 20Km today.
    I have checked relay and fuse box, all looks good, I removed every fuse and relay, and did bit cleaning, also checked if wires are ok, and everything looks really good. No signs of corosion, wire damage heathing.
    And I also was in service and clean all injectors.
    Last edited by mistery; 29th September, 2021 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Adding more info