Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al70 View Post
    That warning comes up with bad connection, give the pads a gentle clean with some fine sandpaper 2.5/3 amp is loads and yes, most times the power supply that comes with ktag is useless and unreliable, it takes a little practice to get the pins lined up properly, even with the bdm frame you'll find yourself lining them up correctly with a pair of tweezers, keep trying, goodluck.
    I've ordered a frame and edc16 adapter which should hopefully be here by friday . I did manage to get a read of the 06 GT yesterday using Kess. Even though the laptop went to sleep half way through it still finished the read ok I'll get a fresh read of it today and also get a read from the remapped 04 GT. My next issue is trying to wrap my head around winols projects. I know how to get winols to open the dump from, say, the 06 gt but when I then want to work on the 04 gt I'm thinking winols will tell me I already have an identical (or close to) project started....that's when I come unstuck. I can't figure out the whole project thing, I'm re-reading the winols manual but it's kind of written in a way where the author thinks you already know how winols works . I know it will take time but I seem to be getting stuck right at the very beginning and it's starting to do my head in . Google hasn't been much help either but I'll plug away at it as I'm sure in time it will all sink in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's weird, I was only thinking earlier today that I would have to pester you about whether it's possible to just clone the 06 ecu into the practice ecu rather than immo off . That's one question ticked off the list The dude in the video has steadier hands than me...mine were shaking like a sh1ting dog when I tried it . Oh one other thing, the kess read took about 40 minutes...is that normal??? I got so bored waiting for it to finish that I left the car, kess and laptop out on the road and went back inside for a cup of tea and a smoke . When I came back the laptop had gone to sleep and when I woke it up ksuite was back on the select car screen I could see that the coms light was still flickering on kess so I clciked all the ok buttons and the read screen opened back up showing the read was 75% done...it just didn't have a clue how long it would take to finish . I'll read it again today along with the other gt and then I'll have both files to mess about with while I wait for the frame to arrive.

one time it took near 45mins to write a bmw file, i was crying tears of pain from the cramps in my hands
    I don't think I could manage 4 minutes never mind 45
    Last edited by Classictinker; 8th January, 2022 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So I had a go with Ktag and when I tried to do a backup read of the practice ecu ktag went through the whole process no problem but then when it asked me for a file name ktag said there was a checksum error as it tried to save the file to disk. I removed Ksuite and Micro$oft visual C 2005 and reinstalled Ksuite, the driver as admin and then reinstalled a fresh copy of visual C 2010 but I still get the same problem. If I do a separate read of the EEprom that works ok but if I try to read the extflash the read gets to the end then reports the checksum error. Is this likely to be an issue with ktag or the ecu?

Out of curiosity I tried to open the extflash dump in winols as a new project but winols says "file contains zip-data and requires password", I've no idea what that's all about . I also have another edc16c39 from an alfa gt 170 so I might open it up and see if Ktag can manage to do a backup of that ecu.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

All sorted now I removed ksuite and all versions of micro$oft visual c++ and then reinstalled everything.

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts

"About how many wonderful discoveries the spirit of enlightenment is preparing for us" by A.S. Pushkin, translated by google
    Read the attachment, it should be useful.
    Attached Files Attached Files

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2xded For This Useful Post:

Classictinker (20th January, 2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2xded View Post
    "About how many wonderful discoveries the spirit of enlightenment is preparing for us" by A.S. Pushkin, translated by google
    Read the attachment, it should be useful.
    Nice one, thanks It's been a steep learning curve but I've found "taking it slow" seems to give the best results...there's a definite limit to how much info I can absorb and retain in a day . I've been tuning petrol engines for years but getting to grips with common rail turbo diesels, "factory" ecu's and WinOLS is quite a task, especially as it's only really going to be a hobby. Todays issue is figuring out where the hell Winols has put the file I exported as they just seem to vanish as soon as they are exported. I had this problem the other day and managed to sort it out but I can't remember how I did it . I think it had something to do with the client path...or maybe not????

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts

hi C.T. heres a link to a program you might find interesting
    Attached Files Attached Files

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to al70 For This Useful Post:

Classictinker (28th January, 2022), Pezhoo (20th May, 2023)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

hi C.T. heres a link to a program you might find interesting
    Cheers Al.

I was thinking of taking a look at titanium, I'll install it tonight and have a poke about. I managed to compare the 170ps ecu maps to the cars original maps and make a basic remap. The car has a little more poke higher up the revs but is kind of flat at low revs. While the practice ecu was on the car wifey noticed that it had a lot more power at low revs and had better throttle response so I need to have a look at those maps too. But yesterday I noticed that the rubber inlet pipe between the MAF and turbo has a split in it so that will be messing things up no end, certainly below around 2500rpm. I'll order a new one (or get the gaffer tape out) and see what things are like once all the induction flow is going through the MAF . At the moment I'm slowly building a damos for the wifes alfa based of one I downloaded...some mpas line up, some don't but it's giving me lots of practice using winols and it's various functions. The version I have seems a bit buggy as sometimes the maps altering features like by percentage etc work from the menu bar and sometimes they don't but when that happens I can usually select everything with the mouse then right-click and use the options from the pop-up menu. I also downloaded the demo of winols 5 but projects I save from it have the no read tag so my full winols version won't correct the checksums but I figure that out at some point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ok, I need a bit of help interpreting a couple of maps. The 1st one is IQ limited by coolant temp. Am I right in thinking that if the coolant temp is above -15C and below 118C that this map will be "ignored" and below -15c or above 118C the limits are impossed?

IQ_by_Clt_Temp.jpg

The next one is IQ limited by fuel temp. I think this map is as it appears....IQ is limited based on fuel temp and engine speed. So at a fuel temp of 40C this map would limit fuel to 110mm?
    IQ_by_Fuel_Temp.jpg

Now for the one I'm really scratching my head over, IQ by temp. I'm not sure how this map is used by the ecu. Common sense tells me that the Y axis value of 1 would be "normal" engine temperature and would allow for 77mm at 1500rpm, 77mm at 1750rpm ... etc. But to be honest I'm really not sure how to handle this map.
    IQ_by_Temp.jpg

Hopefully somebody will be able to explain these 3 to me...especially the last one
    Last edited by Classictinker; 26th January, 2022 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well I've road tested my 1st attempt at a remap and all seems well The car pulls much better and from lower rpm and there's no smoke...yaaaaaa. The only little niggles are the obdii tool is claiming the ecu is asking for 3 and a bit % EGR when it 'should' be off all the time and the clutch starts to slip when the car gets to around 2000rpm. At 126,000 miles I'm not too concerned about the clutch as it must be on its' last legs by now and I'll figure the EGR issue out one way or another. At the moment my main headache is trying to sort out winols as it's started opening all projects as read only. I think it must have something to do with the virtual machines' date/time settings. I have it set to application default/manual update but if I set the date and time to, say, 1st Jan 2018 and then run winols the date gets reset to 14th Jan 2021 and winols then says it needs to be registered and that it can be used 0 times. It worked fine for ages so I can't figure out what has changed, I've deleted the virtual machine and reinstall it a few times but it keeps doing the read only thing...it will work ok the day the virtual machine is install then switch to read only the next time I use winols???????? I'm currently downloading the version posted by Smart66, so I'll see if that works any better .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hii, I have an sorth of the same question.
    in flashing and programming i`am quite new...

wat are u guys using for reading/writing 95320 EProms
    I recently bought an CH314 eprom reader/writer but its is only good for the 24- and 25 series.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparkTronics View Post
    Hii, I have an sorth of the same question.
    in flashing and programming i`am quite new...

wat are u guys using for reading/writing 95320 EProms
    I recently bought an CH314 eprom reader/writer but its is only good for the 24- and 25 series.
    There's a vid on yo tube showing the modification that has to be made on your ch314 unit so it reads 95xxx eeproms if you need in a hurry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a vid on yo tube showing the modification that has to be made on your ch314 unit so it reads 95xxx eeproms if you need in a hurry

tnx for the response
    yeah i saw those some are used in combination with CARprog.

for now there isnt a rush. so are there affordable units that can R/W out of the box?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts

Carprog is good for reading/writing

DK Veteran

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    464 Posts

Holly... you are writting more than i do ))
    It depnds what you want to do onthem. Get an external eep/mcu/flash reader, too. Clones are cheap if you do it as a hobby... tl866 minipro, upa usb, orange5, xprog... as this upper colleague said, start on a car you want to break first, and learn to fix it with tools you can procure with less money. In time, you will want new toys and more sophisticated and expensive.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234