Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default A stupid newbie question

Hi guys (and girls?).

I've been interested in the whole ecu reprogramming subject for a long time but I'm finding it hard to get a foot in the door. Could somebody possibly suggest a good place to start. For instance, what hardware/software do I need to get going in a basic way? The only vehicles I have access to right now are a 2007 transit 2.4 tdci and 2 alfa gt 1.9jtd. One of the alfas is a standard 2006 1.9jtdm 150 the other is a 2004 1.9jtd remapped + egr delete so being able to download and compare the 2 cars maps would probably be helpul...or not .

I have a motor trade/motorsport background (from years ago) and I spend a fair amount of time dicking about with arduinos etc so learning how to read/write to eeproms shouldn't be a huge problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, I hope this is the correct forum for this post???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ok so over the last few days I've worn google out with endless searches . So far I "think" I've discovered that I need either a bdm100, kess or k-line or possible 2 or even all of them...is this correct?

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts

kess is for obd read, ktag for reading on bench, really no need for bdm100 if you have ktag, they will do you for the cars you have, goodluck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to al70 For This Useful Post:

Classictinker (2nd December, 2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al70 View Post
    kess is for obd read, ktag for reading on bench, really no need for bdm100 if you have ktag, they will do you for the cars you have, goodluck.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll get hold of a clone ktag 1st and see what sort of a mess I can make of the wife's car with it ) I may get the kess at the same time as the clones are quite cheap, certainly compared to what I paid for a cloned vcmii a few years back.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts

Smile

go to scrapyard and pick up a selection of ecu's to practice on, have fun
    pick up a matching ecu for the wife's car, tune it with pops and bangs, popcorn limiter and install it without her knowing
    Last edited by al70; 2nd December, 2021 at 06:22 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to al70 For This Useful Post:

Classictinker (3rd December, 2021), volodin69 (19th February, 2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

go to scrapyard and pick up a selection of ecu's to practice on, have fun
    pick up a matching ecu for the wife's car, tune it with pops and bangs, popcorn limiter and install it without her knowing
    Wow I'd love to be able to do all that...or even be sure what they mean . I think I know what the pops and bangs is but the popcorn limiter has me baffled ...I'll have to pop back to google and carry on studying I think my brain will melt very soon...so much new info going in there over the past week or so I love the idea of grabbing some ecu's from the scrapyard and the local one is only a mile down the road If I get one for the wife's car (Alfa gt 1.9 jtdm 2006) which numbers on the ecu do I need to pay attention to? I can't remember if hers is an edc16 cf3 or edc16c39 cf4 but I'll plug multiecuscan in tonight and find out. I've had to cancel my order for the cloned kess and ktag cos wifey spent the money on crimbo prezzies but it's payday next friday so I'll order ktag as soon as the money shows up in the bank before wifey wastes it on things like food and bills

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Bugger from what I read pops and bangs probably won't work on a diesel as I won't have any spark ignition to play with unless retarding the diesel injection has the same effect but I doubt it would ignite in the exhaust like petrol can. My little triumph gt6 does it naturally but my tvr chimaera doesn't. I wonder if I'll be able to read the tvr's eeprom with ktag . I doubt ktag will even know what a lucas 14cux is ... they're kind of stone age these days

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts

I'm just kidding C.T. I'll check ktag this evening when I get home and check for another solution if ktag doesn't support, you'll need matching hardware and software numbers for the alfa, check ebay if you can't find one in the breakers
    Last edited by al70; 3rd December, 2021 at 11:12 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to al70 For This Useful Post:

Classictinker (4th December, 2021)

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts

Read the post on the ktag n kess clones. Most have to be reworked first.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fuzz1 For This Useful Post:

Classictinker (4th December, 2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm just kidding C.T. I'll check ktag this evening when I get home and check for another solution if ktag doesn't support, you'll need matching hardware and software numbers for the alfa, check ebay if you can't find one in the breakers
    Cheers Al There's a u-pull-it about 8 miles away so I could always check there as well as the local scrappy is a bit of a rural affair . I won't order anything until I hear back from you re. ktag.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuzz1 View Post
    Read the post on the ktag n kess clones. Most have to be reworked first.
    Hi fuzz. I'll have a search for the post now, thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I searched on here for the rework info and started reading the sticky https://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forum...ag+kess+clones but it seemed to degenerate into an argument most of which was way over my head . Once I have a ktag I'll try looking again as the post I saw didn't have the photo's that I think showed what needs sorting out.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts

Hi C.T. unfortunately the TVR is not listed in kess or ktag, something to work on when you gain a little experience, as far as clones go I've been lucky so far, there are horror stories around about clones failing and causing a huge headache, so it's hit and miss with the clones, only advice I can give you is buy one with a red PCB, there's guys about selling reworked clones with purple PCB
    and I believe they work great if you're going go start practicing on scrap ECUs you'll get an idea how the tool is working, a spare ecu for the alfa would be the way to go, you can get a full read for the alfa with ktag, eeprom + flash, post the files, someone will do immo off or clone for you so it runs OK in the car, there's hundreds of clones on ali x, some even sell both kess+krag together for a good price, check the product reviews before you purchase

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts

Instructions are quite clear in ktag
    Attached Images Attached Images

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    329 Posts

i'm sure you've visited this site but here's a link in case you haven't came accross it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by al70; 5th December, 2021 at 07:29 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast