Register
Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Default Need help with horsepower Rating changes in ECM

Have had several issues trying to change horse power ratings in the ECM and have several issues with the specs not taking to the ECM . Any ideas or suggestions with this would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!!!!!
    Last edited by pbateman; 20th March, 2011 at 03:40 AM. Reason: looking for horse power rating changes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Is it possible to replace a dead Celect 3618046 with a 3084473 ECM?

Original ECM is dead. Application is N14-430, CPL1386, DO1008, SC1740. These ratings are not listed under 3084473.

Thanks......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poptest View Post

Original ECM is dead. Application is N14-430, CPL1386, DO1008, SC1740. These ratings are not listed under 3084473.

Thanks......
    Calibrations for ECM's are not backwards compatible, the best you could do would be to try to find a cal that is close with the correct ECM part number.
    Last edited by jctech; 22nd March, 2011 at 05:38 PM.

DK Veteran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

Thanks......
    Those part numbers are not inter-change-able,you can not use that part number ecm to replace your dead one,if you try to calibrate it using the the wrong part number you will kill the other one by doing that.
    Inside these units you have two memory chips 27pc256....these are write once,this is were your base software has been written and you can not change whats written in them.so your part number tyells you the range it can go,mostly part num 361.....would be lets say in the range of cpl 13...up to 16.... and part num 308......from cpl 16..... to 19..... then comes the celect plus that you can caliubrate using different part number for cpl's 20....these donot have write once chips.hope this helps clarify you problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by makura View Post
    Those part numbers are not inter-change-able,you can not use that part number ecm to replace your dead one,if you try to calibrate it using the the wrong part number you will kill the other one by doing that.
    Inside these units you have two memory chips 27pc256....these are write once,this is were your base software has been written and you can not change whats written in them.so your part number tyells you the range it can go,mostly part num 361.....would be lets say in the range of cpl 13...up to 16.... and part num 308......from cpl 16..... to 19..... then comes the celect plus that you can caliubrate using different part number for cpl's 20....these donot have write once chips.hope this helps clarify you problem.
    Thank you for your valuable tips on Celect ECM.

Did you see my previous post #192 about Eneserve ECM for QST30? Do you have experience on this product?

Many many thanks again......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

You are correct. It does not have both an electric lift pump and a PCC panel. The system uses the feed pumps on the Bosch pumps. The ECM is wired to the Bosch actuators.

I replaced the Eneserve control with a Cummins ECM and harness, then programed with Inpower8. Engine runs fine.

However, i have to work on other identical engines, and can save a lot if the original Enerserve ECMs can be used.
    I would suspect the Eneserve ECM is a local replacement for the original Cummins FCG ECM which is obsolete.
    There is a Cummins service topic describing the repair procedure for a failed FCG ECM, service topic number 03T19-20 (fit GCS module 4067777, sensors and harness), however like you say, its a lot cheaper to find a local solution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

The later (GCS 4067777) QST30 with PCC3201 had the "ECM" built into the PCC panel in the form of 4 "boards", that correspond to the 4 connectors on a GCS controller, These were CPG gensets only.
    I have no experience of the earlier (FCG, no electric lift pump ) QST30 and PCC3201.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jctech View Post
    I would suspect the Eneserve ECM is a local replacement for the original Cummins FCG ECM which is obsolete.
    There is a Cummins service topic describing the repair procedure for a failed FCG ECM, service topic number 03T19-20 (fit GCS module 4067777, sensors and harness), however like you say, its a lot cheaper to find a local solution.
    You are right. I used the 4067777 ECM, plus harnesses and necessary sensors. Gensets run great at all load conditions. I've actually completed two gensets, and I'll be doing another ten units.

A lot of money can be saved if the original Eneserve ECMs can be properly wired up.

Thank you Jctech.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

The later (GCS 4067777) QST30 with PCC3201 had the "ECM" built into the PCC panel in the form of 4 "boards", that correspond to the 4 connectors on a GCS controller, These were CPG gensets only.
    I have no experience of the earlier (FCG, no electric lift pump ) QST30 and PCC3201.
    By the way, each genset has a synchronizing panel, and the Eneserve ECM was wired to this panel which have all been taken out. ECM and sync panel are both Eneserve with Japanese plates.

Jctech, please explain what you men by the terms PCC3201, CPG gensets, and FCG. These may seem basic to you but they're new to me.

Thanks much.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

By the way, each genset has a synchronizing panel, and the Eneserve ECM was wired to this panel which have all been taken out. ECM and sync panel are both Eneserve with Japanese plates.

Jctech, please explain what you men by the terms PCC3201, CPG gensets, and FCG. These may seem basic to you but they're new to me.

Thanks much.....
    PCC is the name for the Cummins Power Generation genset control panel, this panel controls all the engine and genset operation, model 3201 was the first to control electronic engines.
    CPG is Cummins Power Generation, make genuine Cummins gensets, all the rest are OEM's
    FCG is Fuel Control Governer, the first QST30 generator engine control system, the ECM's for this are obsolete and there are no calibrations on the InCal DVD for these engines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Thanks guys

Thanks to jctech and poptest for showing us a different topic, gensets, that's very interesting, hope someone else can share some other knowledge about it (for example, cat gensets), because this is a new field for many of us. I guess this topic deserves a new thread. What do you think? Cheers !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Default Keep on topic

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here with a lot of different knowledge.
    Feel free to create a thread on any topic you wish to discuss, just create a thread with a relevant topic and keep the discussion on topic. If anyone can offer advice or opinion they will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juanincho View Post
    Thanks to jctech and poptest for showing us a different topic, gensets, that's very interesting, hope someone else can share some other knowledge about it (for example, cat gensets), because this is a new field for many of us. I guess this topic deserves a new thread. What do you think? Cheers !
    We have a wealth of knowledge here at DK, as well as a lot of helpful members.

Start your thread, and count me in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Thanks much.....
    Can you post a couple of engine serial numbers, I will look at the engine build data and see what they were built with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Can you post a couple of engine serial numbers, I will look at the engine build data and see what they were built with.
    Hi Jctech......

Here are two serial numbers, 37187076 CPL2276 and 37218459 CPL2949.

The CPL2949 engines have the Eneserve ECMs installed on them. I replaced the Eneserves with 4067777 ECM on two engines, and programmed them with Inpower conforming to CPL2949. Engines run well but have insufficient power....can hit 600kw only at 60hz. Inpower doesn't show an alternate 2949 calibration which will uprate the engine to 800kw.

So I am now thinking of uprating them to CPL2276. Do you think this is possible? Problem is.....many parts are not identical, including the injection pumps.

Thanks much for your advice.